New Text Adventure: Resistance

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

New Text Adventure: Resistance

Post by 8BitAG »

Andy McDermott has just released his totally retro Quilled adventure 'Resistance'.

"Take on the role of young Mari Roux and do your part against the Nazis who have invaded France."

It may look like just your average Quilled game, from back in the day. But it's brilliant... very well constructed. A nice compact map of locations, with virtually every place being utilised several times. You quickly get to know the town and really feel part of events. Amazing how much atmosphere and a sense of place came be generated by such sparse writing. There are some excellent moments of tension and all the puzzles make sense, and don't require mind-reading to solve. It's a super little game. Very enjoyable.

(Temporary file download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w4810f8r869fs ... P.tap?dl=0 ) *edited link to Andy's own one
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Re: New Text Adventure: Resistance

Post by Morkin »

Been playing it a bit - managed to get out of the first village. It's not bad. Most things seem fairly logical and I haven't had to make a map yet.

I think you may be able to do things that will get you stuck at a later point - I guess this is true to the spirit of many of 80s text adventures, so for any 'modern' adventurers, I'd recommend keeping multiple snapshots! 8-)

One small thing I was stuck for a while at the start (minor spoiler below):
Spoiler
To complete the first task to replace the newspapers with the pamphlets (first task):

I initially dropped the pamphlets & took the newspapers and received what I thought was confirmation that I'd successfully done it. But the task wasn't actually complete - the completion didn't seem to trigger until I picked up the pamphlets again and dropped them for a second time.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

I think I found a bug.
Spoiler
On the third mission, you must not cross the bridge with the knife in your inventory, because the Nazi guards will find it and arrest you. If you drop it on any location before crossing the bridge, it will disappear as soon as you leave and you won't be able to pick it up again later. The mission cannot therefore be accomplished.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Nope... Go back to your house. You shouldn't leave something like that lying around outside. :)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

8BitAG wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:13 am Nope... Go back to your house. You shouldn't leave something like that lying around outside. :)
But at least the program could tell you something like "I should not leave this stuff around" or something :roll:

Edit: Later I found that the program does actually tell you this but only in that particular location, through a note that magically appears if you exit and then re-enter it. Pretty convoluted in my opinion - it would have been much better to make the character warn the player about it.
Last edited by Alessandro on Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Alessandro wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:58 am
8BitAG wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:13 am Nope... Go back to your house. You shouldn't leave something like that lying around outside. :)
But at least the program could tell you something like "I should not leave this stuff around" or something :roll:
It's all part of the story... it makes sure the knife is in the place it should be at a certain point in the game.
Spoiler
(The object is not lost... it's just been moved by another character... the game fully explains this later on. It needs to be in the place it is later on anyway, so it helps set that bit up.)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

I completed it :D Here follows the complete solution.
Spoiler
GET CUP, S, SE, S, S, GET STICKS, S, S (Agreste assigns you the first mission), N, N, N, E, E, S, SCARE BRUEL (he goes away), GET NEWSPAPERS, DROP PAMPHLETS, N, W, W, SW, WAIT, NE, S, W, W, OPEN OVEN, DROP NEWSPAPERS (you burn them in the oven), GET FLOUR, E, FILL CUP, USE FLOUR (you make some paste), E, S, S, S (second mission), N, N, E, USE PASTE, USE POSTERS, W, N, USE POSTERS, E, E, USE POSTERS, W, W, S, W, W, GET ECLAIRS, E, E, S, S, S, EXAMINE SACKS (you find some poison), GET POISON, USE POISON (you poison the eclairs), N, N, N, N, E, S, GIVE ECLAIRS, USE TELEPHONE, SAY MILICE, N, USE POSTERS, W, S, S, S, S (third mission - Agreste gives you a knife, too), N, N, N, NW, N, DROP KNIFE, S, SE, E, E, N, GET BIKE, S, E, E, DROP BIKE, N, TALK TO ANCIEL (he gives you the medicine), S, NE, GET BOTTLES, SW, S, TALK TO LAVILLANT (he gives you the key), N, GET BIKE, W, W, N, GIVE MEDICINE, (a spanner appears), GET SPANNER, DROP BIKE, S, W, W, NW, N, GET KNIFE, S, SE, S, E, UNLOCK DOOR, N, U, N, OPEN WINDOW, CUT ROPE, S, D, S, S, DROP FLAG, N, W, S, S, S (fourth mission), N, N, N, E (you notice the mayor being carried away), E, N, TALK TO KUBDEL (he gives you a can of petrol), S, W, W, S, W, USE SPANNER (the water pump is now unusable), W, DROP PETROL, S, S, S (fifth mission), N, N, N, NW, N, DROP KNIFE, S, SE, E, E, N, GET BIKE, S, E, E, S, GET CHARCOAL, N, W, W, N, DROP BIKE, S, W, W, NW, N, GET KNIFE (Danard is there), KILL DANA, KILL DANA, KILL DANA (Danard dies and Agreste arrives; sixth mission), N, DROP KNIFE, S, SE, S, W, USE SPANNER (you repair the water pump), WASH BLOODSTAINS, E, N, E, E, N, GET BIKE, S, E, E, DROP BIKE, E, EXAMINE GRIMAULT, EXAMINE SANCOEUR, EXAMINE RAMIER, W, GET BIKE, W, W, N, DROP BIKE, S, W, N, EXAMINE DESK, GET LETTER, READ LETTER, EXAMINE SMUDGE (the informer is right-handed and smokes; only Ramier fits that), GET SCYTHE, S, W, S, S, S, S, ACCUSE RAMIER (seventh mission) , N, N, N, E, E, N, GET BIKE, S, W, W, NW, W, USE SCYTHE, DROP BIKE, N, N, W, USE EXPLOSIVES, S, S, GET BIKE, E, SE (Agreste has been arrested!), S, E, DROP BIKE, N, W, EXAMINE DESK, GET PASSES, E, S, GET BIKE, W, N, NW, W, DROP BIKE, N, N, W, W, EXAMINE WALL, W, W, NW, SW, EXAMINE CHATEAU (you spot a door with a single guard), THROW BOTTLES (you enter the building), E, S, EXAMINE CRATES, (you find a manifest), GET MANIFEST, N, E, D, E, HIDE, E, GET HATCHET, EXAMINE JEAN, WAIT (a Nazi torturer enters), KILL NAZI, EXAMINE NAZI (you find a gun), GET GUN, W, USE HATCHET (the fuel spills on the floor forming a pool), SHOOT POOL.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Just started playing this one. Really cute game. I don't know why but I like the simplistic approach, and for some reason it feels really immersive, and trigger some memories from the first adventure games I played.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Alessandro wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:30 pmI completed it :D Here follows the complete solution.
[mention]Alessandro[/mention] You may want to send your solution to CASA!

[mention]druellan[/mention] Can you please add the CASA link to this entry?

https://www.solutionarchive.com/game/id ... tance.html
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:20 pm @druellan Can you please add the CASA link to this entry?
We try to keep on top of all new Spectrum text adventures at CASA, so there will pretty much always be a link to a CASA page that can be added when the game gets put in ZXDB... mainly because I tend to add new games there and then also post a link in the new games thread here.

Would it help to post/send the links of all the 2018/2019 additions that don't currently link to the associated CASA pages?

(I will have to see if it's possible for Jacob to add automatic links to Spectrum Computing, similar to the WOS links that currently appear)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

8BitAG wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:43 pmWe try to keep on top of all new Spectrum text adventures at CASA, so there will pretty much always be a link to a CASA page that can be added when the game gets put in ZXDB... mainly because I tend to add new games there and then also post a link in the new games thread here.
Thanks!

We currently have 2229 links to CASA in ZXDB, but there are certainly many links we are still missing.

8BitAG wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:43 pmWould it help to post/send the links of all the 2018/2019 additions that don't currently link to the associated CASA pages?
Yes! Thanks a lot!!!

Notice that CASA has different links for each idiom of the same game. For instance:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=1661

For this reason, please also identify the idiom for each link. Ideally we need the ZXDB ID (or ZXDB link), CASA link, and idiom. This information can be in a spreadsheet, text file, or whatever other format you choose.

8BitAG wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:43 pm(I will have to see if it's possible for Jacob to add automatic links to Spectrum Computing, similar to the WOS links that currently appear)
Awesome!!!

All IDs from WoS links will also work for ZXDB, except for a few corrections we made. But we also have many new ones not in WoS. If you know SQL, the full list can be extracted from latest ZXDB as follows:

Code: Select all

SELECT * FROM webrefs WHERE website_id = 11
Or let me know and I will export this information for you!

This effort will also help us find out if there are any adventures for Sinclair machines (Spectrum, ZX81, etc) missing from ZXDB so we can add this information, try to find a playable version, etc. Great! :)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:20 pm @Alessandro You may want to send your solution to CASA!
I already sent it to the Tipshop. Could they link it to the Tipshop game entry, when it will be make available? Besides, the current link is wrong, it points to Midnight Resistance.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Alessandro wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:36 pmI already sent it to the Tipshop. Could they link it to the Tipshop game entry, when it will be make available?
Sure!

Everything I posted about CASA also applies to The Tipshop. We currently have 5109 links to The Tipshop in ZXDB. If anyone's willing to help cataloguing the remaining links we are missing, please let us know!

Alessandro wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:36 pmBesides, the current link is wrong, it points to Midnight Resistance.
I see you mean the links pointing to WoS and Tipshop from the CASA webpage.

These links are not really wrong. Both are keyword searches, looking for any game containing "Resistance" in the title. Right now, these sites only have "Midnight Resistance", that's not CASA's fault.