Yie Ar Kung Fu

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Yie Ar Kung Fu

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I've never played it much, but I'm currently giving it a go and I think it's a cool fight game, a decent conversion from the original arcade. Nice graphics and animations. At the same level as The Way of the Exploding Fist (being this better, IMHO) or International Karate.

What's your views?
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Re: Yie Ar Kung Fu

Post by PeteProdge »

Pretty much fantastic. I normally despise one-on-one fighting games, much preferring side-scrolling beat-'em-ups like Target Renegade or Double Dragon*. Yie Ar Kung Fu was one of the games on the Konami Coin-Ops compilation that came free with my +2. It's a neat little game with detailed graphics. Certainly a lot more pleasurable than Street Fighter 2 and other dross that came later in this genre.

* = Er, not the Spectrum version. Or pretty much any other home computer version, they were all dismal.**

** = Aside from the Sega Mega Drive, which was near perfect and the Atari Lynx wasn't too shabby.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Yes, it's great. Great graphics, great sounds, great gameplay. Unfortunately second part (yes, it exists for Spectrum) is total crap.

You may not know that there are 48kB and 128kB version of this game and they differ. IT's not only AY music but also some changes in gameplay in 128kb version. Actually I believe the engine was adjusted in 128kB and the game seems easier, at least for me. Try it if you didn't before.

This 128kB version is a bit obscure. It was only released as part of some compilation. I wonder what's the story behind it.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

The 128K version was only released as part of the Stars on the 128K compilation. I like it more than the 48K version - AY music and more enemies (I believe it includes all the levels of the coin-op), and a lovely new loading screen to boot. A good conversion and a great game in itself, only a touch too easy for my tastes.

The follow-up was an original title, not a coin-op conversion, and unfortunately it's a big disappointment: terrible graphics and movement, almost no sound, and so easy you can finish it blindfolded (well, almost).
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Not my favourite beat-em-up at the time, but not a bad one.

As Alessandro mentioned it was quite easy, I managed to complete it mainly through random button mashing.

One of its features I found interesting was the different opponents, a lot of beat-em ups around at the same time just had you fighting against the same characters.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com