Muso

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Fahnn
Microbot

Muso

Post by Fahnn »

Not sure this is the right section in which to post this, as this isn't new software at all. But hey.

There have been a lot of music business management games released for the Spectrum. I always felt that the best of them was Chris Sievey's "The Biz", which I spent hours and hours playing, but as a total pop nerd, I wanted something with more content. I wanted the facility to have a history of single and album releases, their sales, where they got to in the charts, all that sort of thing. So I shamelessly ripped off his concept but made it more focused around songs and albums and so on.

I originally wrote this in about 1988, but later updated some of the references (e.g. to the TV and radio shows) but it's still very much of its time. And as nobody else was ever going to play it, some of it is a little opaque but I think it can still be navigated.

There's a lot of stuff in it and I seem to remember that it was possible to get an "4 Out of Memory" error after playing long enough; however I've not managed to recreate that in my recent playing of it, so maybe that's my memory malfunctioning.

I'm not sure anyone will actually be interested in playing what is essentially a database game (it's very much "niche" stuff, like everything I do), but I'll put it out here just in case. I still find it quite involving.

http://www.fahnn.co.uk/muso.szx
Morkin
Bugaboo

Re: Muso

Post by Morkin »

...so I'm guessing this is the final game in the "sex, drugs and rock & roll" compilation? ;)
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Fahnn
Microbot

Re: Muso

Post by Fahnn »

Morkin wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:05 pm ...so I'm guessing this is the final game in the "sex, drugs and rock & roll" compilation? ;)
Haha, excellent, it's almost as though I did it on purpose! I didn't though, it honestly never even occurred to me until I saw your post just now.

Re. the game itself, one thing I probably should have mentioned is that it can run quite slowly (partly because it does a lot of calculations, but mainly due to my poor quality programming) so if anyone does fancy playing it, I would recommend speeding up emulation to maybe 3 or 4 x normal.

Oh and also (and this goes without saying really) please feel free to add any of my stuff to ZXDB. I'd love for them to be available on there, but also would completely understand if for any reason this wouldn't be appropriate.