Using TR-DOS software on real hardware +2e, DIVMMC

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Using TR-DOS software on real hardware +2e, DIVMMC

Post by Pobulous »

Is it possible to run TR-DOS software on UK hardware?

I have a +2e (+2a with +3e BIOS) and a DIVMMC. If it's possible, what would I need to do?

The specific game I am wanting to run is Viking Quest 3.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Re: Using TR-DOS software on real hardware +2e, DIVMMC

Post by arkannoyed »

As long as the DivMMC is running ESXdos as its system, then yes, TR-DOS calls are supported. Its just timing issues with running certain things that will still cause issues, as the Pentagon and Scorpion don't have contended memory as far as I know.

I also have a +2e sitting on a shelf gathering dust. I never really got into using it much. I do have a DivIDE too, but I've not actually ever tried the two together.
Last edited by arkannoyed on Fri May 24, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

A game using TR-DOS doesn't imply it's designed for Russian machines like the Pentagon, and many such games aren't. In fact TR-DOS and the Beta disk system were developed in the UK.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Yes, indeed, its just a disk system really, however its lack of popularity in the UK means that most stuff available in the TRD format is likely to be of Russian origin. It is only timings with Demos etc that suffer
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

It is, of course, possible. However, the Beta Disk interface itself doesn’t work with +2A/+3 machines without modifications, because a few signals on the edge connector were changed, compared to 128K/+2 and the original 48K Speccy.

Not sure how the DIVMMC or the +2e ROM will affect things, though. TR-DOS is normally activated when a call to a certain address appears on the bus (15616, for instance). Then the TR-DOS ROM takes over. In normal operation, no calls are made to that address (it contains character bitmaps).
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

In my experience, machine code TR-DOS file management, performed by using the "tokenized" commands as well as direct calls to the interface's own ROM, is possible with the DivMMC interface and ESXDOS v0.8.5 and later. My games released as .TRD files employing both methods ran without any issue on a +2A (precisely a +2B, i.e. a +2A with a smaller motherboard and ROM v4.1) equipped with a DivMMC Enjoy.

I don't know if the modified +3E ROM will interfere with the interface and/or ESXDOS, however.
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

Only took me a year to get round to trying some TRDs
Some random TRDs from the internet seem to partially work. I got the loading screen and cracktro menu up for Zynaps for instance, but then it didn't load the actual game. They also did the same running under Scorpion and Pentagon mode in Spectaculator, so not sure the score with that bunch of files.

However, I tried Alessandro's ADB.trd and it works perfectly.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

My own games are designed for compatibility with real hardware. Again, those I distribute as TRD files are tested with the DivIDE/DivMMC and ESXDOS before release.

TR-DOS hacks are a different matter, some won't work with the DivMMC, some other will. It's largely a matter of trial and error.
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

Yep, I was just confirming that the +2e ROMs are compatible with your TRDs 8-)

And also, Viking Quest 3 works fine.