How to collate stuff for ZXDB/SC

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

R-Tape
Site Admin

How to collate stuff for ZXDB/SC

Post by R-Tape »

I'm hanging this here so I can ask for help specifically in other threads, and link to this information here.

How to collate files and information for ZXDB/SC.

What to do (after reading these intructions :-)):

1 - download the spreadsheet
http://stonechatproductions.co.uk/zxgames/ForumSpreadsheets.zip
.ods and .xls are here, the dropdowns sometimes go weird, if they do - try the other filetype.
2 - collate the files accordingly, organise games into separate folders so it's clear what's what.
3 - if any games are not already in ZXDB, add the necessary information to the spreadsheet (do not do this if it already has an ID).
4 - zip all the files and the spreadsheet, and make available on the web, or email them to me.

Filling in the spreadsheet:
If games need adding to ZXDB, fill in this spreadsheet as best you can. It's okay to leave things blank. Most columns have dropdowns. When filling in the publisher/author, DO NOT TYPE THE NAME. Copy it from the author + publisher list tab. If the author is not in the list, then you can type it, but highlight it in yellow so I know to add them to ZXDB.

What to do with files:

Naming conventions:
Filenames are the game's title with spaces, apostrophes removed, and every word capitalised. Extra info should go inside brackets (see example).

Screenshots:
Take a run and load screen/s, must be as .scr unless there is a good reason to do otherwise. Don't zip. If it already has a ZXDB ID (you can get this from the web address in the SC search), go with e.g. 0030296-load-1.scr and 0030296-run-1.scr
If it doesn't have an ID yet just call them GAMENAME_Load.scr, GAMENAME_Run.scr

Tapes, Disks and Snapshots: Don't change the original filename. Zip the file and rename the zip as GAMENAME.FILETYPE.ZIP, e.g. GAMENAME.tap.zip

Source codes: zip everything and rename to "GAMENAME_SourceCode.zip"

Cassette Inlays: Don't zip. Rename to GAMENAME_Inlay.jpg (or .png, .gif etc)

Instructions & readmes:
Don't zip.
.TXT rename to GAMENAME.txt
Word documents: convert to PDF.
PDF documents rename to GAMENAME.pdf

Example: A game called "Jasper's Big Adventure" would need files like this:

JaspersBigAdventure_Load.scr
JaspersBigAdventure_Run1.scr
JaspersBigAdventure_Run2.scr
JaspersBigAdventure.tap.zip
JaspersBigAdventure(48K).tap.zip
JaspersBigAdventure(128K).tap.zip
JaspersBigAdventure(QAOP).tap.zip
JaspersBigAdventure(ES).tap.zip (ES = Spanish, RU=Russian, CZ=Czech, IT = Italian, DE=German, PT=Portuguese)
JaspersBigAdventure(Version2).tap.zip
JaspersBigAdventure.tzx.zip
JaspersBigAdventure.z80.zip
JaspersBigAdventure(Demo).z80.zip
JaspersBigAdventure.sna.zip
JaspersBigAdventure.szx.zip
JaspersBigAdventure.dsk.zip
JaspersBigAdventure.trd.zip
JaspersBigAdventure.scl.zip
JaspersBigAdventure.txt
JaspersBigAdventure.pdf
JaspersBigAdventure_SourceCode.zip
JaspersBigAdventure_Inlay.png
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: How to collate stuff for ZXDB/SC

Post by Ralf »

Let me ask some questions about it:

-should I use this spreadsheet every time I submit anything to SC?

- is spreadsheet name important?

-in the past there was an upload form ( https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/edit/ ) Currently it's not working
So if I I upload something should it be done by making a post in the forums with download link? And do I understand
correctly that my download link should contain proper files together with the spreadsheet?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ralf wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:01 pm Let me ask some questions about it:
-should I use this spreadsheet every time I submit anything to SC?
Yes please, though if it's easier then you can copy/paste the text from the spreadsheet into a forum post/PM/email.
- is spreadsheet name important?
Do you mean the filename of the spreadsheet? Nope, not important at all, it's just the table information I need.
-in the past there was an upload form ( https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/edit/ ) Currently it's not working
So if I I upload something should it be done by making a post in the forums with download link? And do I understand
correctly that my download link should contain proper files together with the spreadsheet?
Yes please — post on the forums with a download link. It would be a massive help if the link contained the properly collated files.

From my point of view, a concise spreadsheet and downloading zips is better than the upload form.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

On the subject of "how to take proper screenshots", there's a very good explanation here.