Lost Little Spaceman

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
nellyfish
Drutt

Lost Little Spaceman

Post by nellyfish »

I have just finished my first spectrum game called Lost Little Spaceman. It's a first level port of one of my mobile games, please check it out. Completely free to distribute. I do plan to share the source code too with a little write up, once I get round to it!

Available for download at http://nellyfish.com/files/ZXLostLittle ... lease1.zip

djnzx48
Manic Miner

Re: Lost Little Spaceman

Post by djnzx48 »

Nice little game. I particularly like the graphical effects for the 'anomalies' and the JSW-esque tune. It would be great to see a write up!

If anyone else was confused about the controls: the game is viewed from a top-down perspective, but in zero gravity. So it's not supposed to be a platformer ;)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Cool game! Nice to see AGD being used for something a bit different.

I'm not completely sure I understand the movement fully yet. For example I'm can't see how to get out of the room "wait" up or down, only left back to the "central room".
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

A very interesting game that has its own charm...
Btw, what is the name of this font, which prints intro text on the screen?
It looks great.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Welcome to the forum [mention]nellyfish[/mention] :D

I like to see something different for a change. The "zero gravity" control is an intriguing idea and the puzzle-like features of some of the rooms require good timing. I must also underline that the game is very short and easy, I completed it on my first go in about 5 minutes. However I understand it is just the first level of a larger title so I wait to see more :)
nellyfish
Drutt

Post by nellyfish »

djnzx48 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:28 am Nice little game. I particularly like the graphical effects for the 'anomalies' and the JSW-esque tune. It would be great to see a write up!

If anyone else was confused about the controls: the game is viewed from a top-down perspective, but in zero gravity. So it's not supposed to be a platformer ;)
Pleased you like it. Music was originally going to use AY chip. But then opted for beeper music, as I wanted it to work on a 48k. It was written in beepola using the music studio engine. It's Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. I wanted something that sounded lost, lonely, and a little bit creepy and thought that did it.
nellyfish
Drutt

Post by nellyfish »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:04 am Cool game! Nice to see AGD being used for something a bit different.

I'm not completely sure I understand the movement fully yet. For example I'm can't see how to get out of the room "wait" up or down, only left back to the "central room".
It's just a matter of timing. So you need to 'wait' for the vent to stop and jump to the top door. If the vent get you, you will be frustratingly back to the start :shock:
nellyfish
Drutt

Post by nellyfish »

Pegaz wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:31 am A very interesting game that has its own charm...
Btw, what is the name of this font, which prints intro text on the screen?
It looks great.
It's a font that I designed in AGD, just lowercase. Used the uppercase for title screen, logos, etc.

nellyfish
Drutt

Post by nellyfish »

Alessandro wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:42 am Welcome to the forum @nellyfish :D

I like to see something different for a change. The "zero gravity" control is an intriguing idea and the puzzle-like features of some of the rooms require good timing. I must also underline that the game is very short and easy, I completed it on my first go in about 5 minutes. However I understand it is just the first level of a larger title so I wait to see more :)
Pleased you like it and find if something different. It took a fair bit of code to do zero gravity, as AGD default is a manic miner type mechanic.

I am somewhat memory limited, however I may manage to move stuff around for a level 2, i'll see if I can squeeze it in at a later date, although sprite memory keeps corrupting as it's a bit full too :? I'll have to see.

The mobile version of this games has a whopping 164 rooms!
nellyfish
Drutt

Post by nellyfish »

Finally finished commenting the code for this.

So, if anyone is interested in the code and the snapshot file to play around with, it's over on my blog for download at http://digitalgeek.me/blogview.php?id=107

:D