ZX Spectrum Next Discussion

The Speccy's spritely young offspring. Discuss everything from FPGA to ZX
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Re: ZX Spectrum Next Discussion

Post by Seven.FFF »

JoeZX is a spectacularly unpleasant and toxic guy all round.

He’s taken to hanging around indie game devs’ project updates and casting sarcastic aspersions about their commitment and motivation. Nobody really needs that kind of sniping from the sidelines.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

emook wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:23 am The board only option has been delivered a long time ago, over 300 of them went out - it was said at the time if you dont want to wait for full kits back the board only - I'm sorry you didnt take that option
If we'd been told at the time that the full kit was going to be a good two years away - and even then it may not be ready - then I'd have taken the board only option at the time. To reiterate, send out the boards and PSU's (they do exist gathering dust somewhere don't they?) to waiting cased backers who ask for them and forward the bulky stuff on when it's done. Anything wrong with that idea that I've missed?
Oh JoeZx the MD? I have a permanent JoeZX filter these days. :D
Pity....it's a great rant :D
"He made eloquent speeches to an audience consisting of a few depressed daffodil roots, and sometimes the cat from next door."
ZxSpence
Dizzy

Post by ZxSpence »

I've looked at the comments on the Kickstarter campaign and JoeZX makes an angry if perfectly valid contribution. Maybe he's finally learned that Kickstarter projects often promise the moon and then once they have your money they treat you with contempt like delivery is optional, the contempt often reinforced by outriders who fear that any negative criticism will demoralise the delivery team and make the situation worse. That's when the bickering starts and the flamebans. That's when egomaniacs get involved and get the backslapping of those thanking them for "weeding out the gene pool". THAT is toxic, not some poor sod who feels duped out of hard earned money rightly or wrongly. This is when it gets religious with heated arguments between those who have lost faith and those who still believe.

Read the front page of the Kickstarter when it was in attract mode, all done. All promises about keeping risks low and remember that people gave their money willingly on the back of a sales pitch, TWO years ago.

Whenever the project gets into trouble and things are late Henrique goes sullen and quiet. I get that, he cares and he's stressed out and the situation is beyond his control but various friends of the project have asked him to overcommunicate so the previous updates don't look like lies, the backers come on a journey with him but he fails to do it in the same market square the backers are waiting in. You have to hunt around, guess and read between the lines.

I have some sympathy, when things go wrong it's tempting to be like this but lashing out at the hand that fed the project is truly shitty behaviour.

The project will end either of likely two ways:

1. The keyboard will be delivered and everyone shouts yippee, but the Next brand is now tarnished so take-up and enthusiasm is nearly sub zero.

2. The project will not deliver that case, that keyboard (maybe something from radionics) and people may get their boards and the glitz and glamour of the next dies its final death and people use the platform but not how they would have. It's no longer a credible brand.

Terrible shame. There's a third worse one which with all the rework I fear the most but by this point your hackles are up and you want to flame me anyhow, so no point in making it worse.
Alcoholics Anonymous
Microbot

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous »

Bizzley wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:25 pm "Still waiting on news on the keyboard. There are a few different threads happening in parallel. Changes to the hammer size, domes, contact design which requires new tooling. Hoping to have results soon!"

Backers were told a month ago that minor changes were being made to the contact patterns on the membrane to fix the multi-keypress problem, the results of which would be known in a week's time. However it appears from the tweet that things are a lot more serious than that.
And still nothing has been tested because it takes that long to make changes. There is no update because nothing has changed: everyone is still waiting for the changes to be made and is still waiting to see the results. When they say "hoping to have results soon" it's a guess on how long it will take the partner to make changes and test. This depends on their timeline and their facility's availability.

Things are not more serious - what is mentioned is just more detail on what is being varied. Rather than trying one thing at a time, with three weeks between tests, several things are being tried at once.
Comments on the Kickstarter page are becoming more negative than positive fuelled mainly by the lack of information and updates. What details are available are being fed to backers from other sources such as the Twitter feed. The failure to renew the Certificate for their main website is just another example of the apathy and lack of concern for this project.
When people ask questions, answering them is a bad thing - got it. Posting something on twitter to make sure people know the wait is still on - bad. This post and several others here probably a bad idea too?

Come on, on the last point. I take personal offense at being accused of being apathetic and holding lack of concern. I (and others) donate hours upon hours of sparse free time to make the product as good as it can be. This does not change the reality of how long it takes to make something physical and to test it to make sure it works.

Having got that off my chest, I can return to mellow :) I don't intend to come across as angry, as I am not, but sometimes ridiculousness has to be reality-checked. There is no apathy in the project, no "we're satisfied since we have boards", and so on. This should be clear by how far the kickstarter goals have been exceeded in the machine itself in this time. Development never stopped once the kickstarter got your and my money.

However I don't disagree that Henrique could be more regular with the updates, even to say what the twitter feed said (ie nothing). He is a busy man as he heads his own software company and travels a lot and usually has to be reminded that it is time for another update. He prefers to wait for news - good or bad - so that he has something to say so if an update is not forthcoming it does not mean things are bad, it really means nothing happened. As Henrique is the only one that can do kickstarter updates, questions between updates can only be answered via other means like facebook, forums, twitter.

This June update is particularly important as there was an estimate for end of Q2 and I don't think that could be met even if the keyboard is approved on Monday because manufacturing slots still have to be scheduled and I'm sure the team would like to test the membrane in person beforehand. But the project is close - it's just hanging on this last bit to move. There are still things to do in the core and software but these things can be updated by the end user easily so it's not something that will hold anything back. The machine is already very good as-is.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Are you tired of waiting for the collectables? keep yourself entertained with Nextbuild
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:38 pm Hmmm....we are going to get the finished product this year...aren't we?
Yes, to be more precise, we are going to get the finished product by the end of Q2. ;)
Alcoholics Anonymous wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:45 pm This June update is particularly important as there was an estimate for end of Q2 and I don't think that could be met even if the keyboard is approved on Monday because manufacturing slots still have to be scheduled and I'm sure the team would like to test the membrane in person beforehand. But the project is close - it's just hanging on this last bit to move. There are still things to do in the core and software but these things can be updated by the end user easily so it's not something that will hold anything back. The machine is already very good as-is.
Maybe it's time to stop setting any deadlines, then? Especially if you are not sure, you will fulfill them.
Responsible people dont do that.
Otherwise, someone would think that this Q2 deadline is given for only one purpose - to fool and calm the impatient bakers...
The same thing applies to updates. If theres nothing new to say, dont say anything.
Otherwise... you know...
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

Alcoholics Anonymous wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:45 pm Come on, on the last point. I take personal offense at being accused of being apathetic and holding lack of concern. I (and others) donate hours upon hours of sparse free time to make the product as good as it can be. This does not change the reality of how long it takes to make something physical and to test it to make sure it works.
This wasn't aimed at you or anyone developing for the Next but rather whoever it is behind the scenes that is responsible for the Official Spectrum Next website going offline because they didn't get around to renewing a Certificate. If you are privvy to the inside dope on why this happened then by all means post it because at the moment "they just plain forgot" seems to be the front-runner. The same can be said for the lack of Kickstarter Updates - which both of us agree could be more regular - it's not your or anyone else's responsibilty to let Kickstarter clients know on here, on Twitter, On Facebook, in Comments etc. what is going on that's what the Kickstarter Updates are for. If the promised twice-monthly Updates are not being posted and only one person can do so then it's surely within the bounds of reason to ask why this is so? Having nothing to announce is obviously a good reason not to post anything but you know what, a regular fortnightly announcement saying just this would be much more appreciated than the radio silence we have now.

And can I just pick you up on the statement "so if an update is not forthcoming it does not mean things are bad, it really means nothing happened" and point out that it can also be taken to mean that things are indeed bad, they just don't want to say so. Isn't semantics fun :)
"He made eloquent speeches to an audience consisting of a few depressed daffodil roots, and sometimes the cat from next door."
llewelyn
Manic Miner

Post by llewelyn »

Apropos of nothing - I've worked in engineering making moulds for plastic injection moulding and it can be a bloody nightmare if there's the smallest error because the moulds are damned expensive and any change almost always means making a new mould. The costs of doing this can spiral up out of sight.
Alcoholics Anonymous
Microbot

Pegaz wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:52 pm Maybe it's time to stop setting any deadlines, then? Especially if you are not sure, you will fulfill them.
Responsible people dont do that.
That's not possible either. Maybe you've forgotten what happened when there was no estimated delivery back in December? A constant barrage of people asking why there was no estimated delivery date, attacks on project scheduling, accusations of repeats of the Vega+.

The amount of frustration is much higher when you have an ongoing project with zero estimation on when it might be done.
Otherwise, someone would think that this Q2 deadline is given for only one purpose - to fool and calm the impatient bakers...
The same thing applies to updates. If theres nothing new to say, dont say anything.
It wasn't a bad estimate. The keyboard & membrane actually turned out well as you can hear from the reviews by people seeing it at the retro events. It is only a specific problem with the composite keys that needs resolution. Had the keyboard been 100% then this deadline would have been met. What is very hard to predict is how long each fix-it iteration is and currently that is 3 weeks which seems to be an eternity to backers.

Saying nothing, again, damned if you do and damned if you don't. People begin to speculate that things have gone very wrong. A certain portion of people behave like alarm clocks and demand updates in the days leading up to every two weeks. If nothing is said, the hatred and bile begins usually by the same small group of professional malcontents. But ongoing work that is not publicly known is no longer mentioned until it is finished. You don't have to go back many pages in this thread to read about the disappointment of 28MHz gone.

Whoever promised an update every two weeks made a mistake. Nothing happens in two weeks - it should be a regular update once a month even to say nothing happened, and extra updates for real news.
ZxSpence
Dizzy

Post by ZxSpence »

"professional malcontents" oh dear, paranoid much? From what I've read there's a lot of tongue in cheek ribbing on the run up to the next promised update.

However you say whoever promised an update every two weeks, well, thing is, it was promised. It's perfectly valid to report "we are still waiting".

Speculation is something you'll just have to endure. You've already adopted a bunker mentality, so hunker down. Being this late on a delivery this is normal territory. You should be asking for forgiveness not lashing out.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

I remember, back in... oh. 2006 or 2007, being very very excited for the new Open Pandora console. I had a GP32 and GP2X and this was gonna bring linux/ARM handhelds right up to date. Powerful hardware in a portable package.

Pre-orders started in 2008 and I jumped in for a measly (as it turned out) £200. After many, many, many stumbling blocks with manufacturing, I eventually received mine in 2011. Three years after the pre-order, and six years after the initial excitement.

It was badly mismanaged by the project leader, and this compounded with issues due to plastics, board manufacturing and small problems with components led to delay after delay and people got really shirty about it. The UK arm of the company collapsed eventually leaving a huge number of pre-orders unfilled. The German side of things managed to keep ticking over but many people lost their pre-orders - the price of the unit went up, with the profits going towards filling those UK pre-orders, but this only filled a few. It was a shitshow.

But Michael Mrozek, the German chap in charge now, kept his integrity and worked as hard as he could. To that end, when he announced the DragonBox Pyra, a successor to the Open Pandora, he went slowly, with much discussion on progress, careful choosing of manufacturing partners and transparency that is not seen in the crowd-funded arena today.

The campaign started around 2014/15, with pre-orders opening in 2016. It's still not here - issues with the case, bugs in the PCB and other problems have gotten in the way. It's not going to be delivered to customers until 2020, and that's a conservative estimate. And people are not cancelling, people are not moaning about it. We've all been there before and we know Michael is a good guy.

By comparison, the Next has been up on KS since what, 2017? A little over two years. Created by a team that has little experience of this sort of thing, with an order base so small that most companies will either push them to the back of their priorities list or worse not deal with them at all.

With all this in mind, if the cased Next comes out in the next two years I'll consider them to be lucky and above all dynamic. It's just the way these things are - unless you're Samsung or Apple or Intel or... Well, things move slowly.

Personally I'm not getting a Next because it's not what they advertised, but that's another story.
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

Alcoholics Anonymous wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:58 am Whoever promised an update every two weeks made a mistake. Nothing happens in two weeks - it should be a regular update once a month even to say nothing happened, and extra updates for real news.
That would have been Henrique Olifiers himself in the Kickstarter Update dated April 2nd 2018 -
"...and from this update onwards, we’ll keep you posted every two weeks with whatever news we have on the case production."

If Mr. Olifiers is the only person who can post regular Kickstarter updates and is finding that tedious to do so then perhaps he needs someone else involved in the project to do it for him instead. Or at least write them for him to repost in his name.
Alcoholics Anonymous
Microbot

ZxSpence wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:45 am "professional malcontents" oh dear, paranoid much? From what I've read there's a lot of tongue in cheek ribbing on the run up to the next promised update.
Are you new in the spectrum community? There is a small number of trolls who take every opportunity to attack for their own entertainment. This is not next-specific; it's across everything.

Asking questions, being legitimately concerned, wanting to know more is not being a "professional malcontent". It's actually reassuring that people show they are concerned - it only happens because people care. I hope it comes across that the people working on the project also care.

It is not acceptable that the composite keys on the keyboard, like DELETE, could be hit four times with three times coming up 0 instead of DELETE. The correction in the fpga would not have been acceptable due to the wide difference in time seen between the CAPS+0; the correction would slow the keyboard response perceptively. These things had to be redone otherwise they would have spoiled everyone's experience. We have to live with the fact each fix attempt takes 3-4 weeks. A manufacturing slot cannot be scheduled until the product is finished so we will have to live with lead times there being serially attached to the keyboard resolution. That's just how it is :-/
That would have been Henrique Olifiers himself in the Kickstarter Update dated April 2nd 2018 -
"...and from this update onwards, we’ll keep you posted every two weeks with whatever news we have on the case production."
I think he believed it was very close to being done and fix cycles for the keyboard could be done more quickly. Actually everyone involved has thought things were imminent for some time; the core and sd card contents have been frozen more than once.
Personally I'm not getting a Next because it's not what they advertised, but that's another story.
Maybe you will change your mind once you've seen one :) I think it's much better than what was promised - a traditional machine with a graphics accelerator in the pi that added sprites and produced hdmi video. Not really a "next" in my view. Now everything new is integrated into the spectrum architecture, the pi is optional and the system software extends the +3's. It does build on the +3.

If you're only into the classic machines, that's still there with the bonus that the machine is able to behave like a 48k, 128k, +3 or pentagon. The ula implementation for each of these three types is not quite 100% yet but it will get there. Maybe you want to help out in that department :) ?
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

Alcoholics Anonymous wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:41 pm If you're only into the classic machines, that's still there with the bonus that the machine is able to behave like a 48k, 128k, +3 or pentagon. The ula implementation for each of these three types is not quite 100% yet but it will get there. Maybe you want to help out in that department :) ?
Do you need actual physical Spectrum Next hardware to work on these ULA implementations and test them out or can they be done via software emulators? Because if you need the hardware you can kind of see the flaw in asking people who haven't got it to do it.
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

A lot of people are helping out with knowledge and collaborating with people who do have boards. You might not personally want to get involved, but it’s not accurate to characterise people doing it as flawed.

Do you have anything positive to contribute at all, Bob?
Robin Verhagen-Guest
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

It's not the people that are flawed its the logic of asking people who don't have the hardware to contribute to the hardware that is.

I have positively contributed £185 of my own money to this project. I won't count the suite of graphic utilities I wrote for the Next in 2017 since they were for my own use and and been superseded by later developments. The collaboration with one of the stretch goal developers in setting up a comms link for the Next so they could speed up development wasn't much to write about either really.

Other than that, no, that's the sum total of my contribution towards development of the Spectrum Next. I'm sorry I haven't been more productive or positive, I shall try and do better in the next life.
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

The Zeus comms link works great btw. 2meg up and downlink over wired USB serial cable, and remote debugging. I collaborated with Simon on that one last spring, and did the early Robotron dev using it. Absolute lifesaver, given that the emulators were both at a very early stage then.

Of course it's ok not to contribute, nobody should feel they have to. But I have noticed you're very vocal in your criticisms on this board, which seem to be mostly of the "in hindsight, they should've done this" type. You should write another book, I'm sure it will be useful for people doing future crowdfunding compaigns.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
Alcoholics Anonymous
Microbot

Bizzley wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:15 am Do you need actual physical Spectrum Next hardware to work on these ULA implementations and test them out or can they be done via software emulators? Because if you need the hardware you can kind of see the flaw in asking people who haven't got it to do it.
It's largely a paper and pencil exercise and it would be helpful to know vhdl or something about digital hardware. But accurate emulator authors have another skill and that's knowledge about important sequences during the display generation to get that accurate emulation. Emulators are different from real hardware implementation and the language used to describe the display generation and how it's done in software does not, by and large, reflect what goes on in hardware. But being able to identify where something may not be quite right is a contribution that can solve the last 1-2%.
ZxSpence
Dizzy

Post by ZxSpence »

Alcoholics Anonymous wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:41 pm
ZxSpence wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:45 am "professional malcontents" oh dear, paranoid much? From what I've read there's a lot of tongue in cheek ribbing on the run up to the next promised update.
Are you new in the spectrum community? There is a small number of trolls who take every opportunity to attack for their own entertainment. This is not next-specific; it's across everything.

Asking questions, being legitimately concerned, wanting to know more is not being a "professional malcontent". It's actually reassuring that people show they are concerned - it only happens because people care. I hope it comes across that the people working on the project also care.

It is not acceptable that the composite keys on the keyboard, like DELETE, could be hit four times with three times coming up 0 instead of DELETE. The correction in the fpga would not have been acceptable due to the wide difference in time seen between the CAPS+0; the correction would slow the keyboard response perceptively. These things had to be redone otherwise they would have spoiled everyone's experience. We have to live with the fact each fix attempt takes 3-4 weeks. A manufacturing slot cannot be scheduled until the product is finished so we will have to live with lead times there being serially attached to the keyboard resolution. That's just how it is :-/
I don't see anything from the guy who normally corrodes the discourse at all, but then I blocked him. So perhaps you could name names?

I don't have a problem with the reality of delivery, or where it's at. I do have a problem with seeing backers being jumped on for asking perfectly legitimate questions and making reasonable complaints. The attitude could be adequately described as "shut up or sell your pledge". Most of the time they don't get likes or backing from those working in the core team, but sometimes they do. It's not the right way to deal with people.

It's true that committing to a two week update was a rod for Henriques' back, but having made it and failed to keep it and having no intention of keeping it anymore he should put it in an update. People tend to put their heads in around update time. Those in the know already have the answers and perhaps don't appreciate how it looks from the outside. So it might look like a small step to insiders to be frustrated with those asking how it's going from the present level of internal frustration. But from the outside it looks irrational, defensive, condescending and quite often just plain rude.
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

Seven.FFF wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:30 am Of course it's ok not to contribute, nobody should feel they have to. But I have noticed you're very vocal in your criticisms on this board, which seem to be mostly of the "in hindsight, they should've done this" type. You should write another book, I'm sure it will be useful for people doing future crowdfunding compaigns.
Unfortunately the second book just creeps along because all my time now is spent writing Dead Lights, the July issue is due in a fortnight and it has to be proofed and printed first. I don't think my written work would help crowdfunding much - any contribution I could give on that front would pretty much amount to "tell the people who's money you took what you're doing with it" but seeing as I give my written work away for free then I dont think that would carry much gravitas. Besides, what kind of idiots with all that money would take advice from an old coder operating in hindsight mode? :)
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

Alcoholics Anonymous wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:45 pmThere is no update because nothing has changed
The change is the fact it wont be shipping by end of Q2 as promised, regardless of the issues that is an update in itself, and one that would take 5 mins to write and post. Not all backers are following every post made and I suspect many are still thinking it's going to ship in the next week or two.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Well, latest update is here and the new membranes failed so it looks like they're going with a brute force and maybe inelegant but 'foolproof' solution by just adding a couple of extra signals to the membrane, which currently look like they need to be hand soldered onto the board. Not great, not terrible? Anyway, looks like we may finally be getting our machines, so rejoice?
namco
Manic Miner

Post by namco »

Godammit Doug - you know the rules.

Bizzley has to be the first for bitching when the updates come out! :P
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

The board has a 2-tail connector socket. The hand-soldering is just awkward wording. It refers to the socket being fitted at SMS by hand in rework stations, as the assembly line board manufacture has already happened a long time ago.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
ZxSpence
Dizzy

Post by ZxSpence »

At last, sense has prevailed.

Then when it's done if there's still a problem the team will have to accept the problem was elsewhere all along. We've all been there!