New Database Model ZXDB

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

Juan F. Ramirez
Dynamite Dan

Re: New Database Model ZXDB

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:02 am

Einar Saukas wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:43 am
A new ZXDB update is available!

This new version contains game review scores from all major magazines (many thanks to Chris from ZXSR for this information!)
Great, a cool feature quite expected (at least for me!)
0 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:49 pm

We recently spoke about the 'little bug' threads and some way of knowing they have been processed.

@druellan (who kindly tracks and maintains the changes) now has rights to edit posts in the 'ZXDB Discussion' sub-forum (Note - he can edit this section of the forum only).

When a change is accepted and has been processed for entry into ZXDB he will add the following to the end of the post:
✓ Checked
4 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:23 am

Yet another ZXDB update is available!

This release mostly contains latest bugfixes compiled by @druellan based on people's contributions in this forum. :)
4 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:45 am

Einar Saukas wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:23 am
Yet another ZXDB update is available!

This release mostly contains latest bugfixes compiled by @druellan based on people's contributions in this forum. :)
Fantastic! Bloody well done Dru! You're the Tasmanian Devil of bugfixes (erm—in a good way that is).
1 x

druellan
Manic Miner

Post by druellan » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:24 am

R-Tape wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:45 am
Fantastic! Bloody well done Dru! You're the Tasmanian Devil of bugfixes (erm—in a good way that is).
And the site didn't explode! yay!
1 x
Un buen día me puse a probar juegos de ZX Spectrum a ciegas en Youtube, terminó siendo:
📺 Retroarqueología en Youtube

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:34 pm

In the next upcoming ZXDB update, column "formattype_id" won't be used anymore. This column will still exist in all file-related tables (so it doesn't break SQL queries in sites that were not updated yet), but it will be always NULL.
0 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:30 am

A new ZXDB update is available!

Special thanks to @R-Tape (new titles) and @pavero (hires inlays).
2 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:55 pm

I forgot to mention that I have fixed references to magazine "Personal Computer News" in this last update!

These references were originally imported from Martijn's WoS database. The problem is, "Personal Computer News" was a weekly magazine, but Martijn's WoS only supported monthly magazines, so it couldn't distinguish between different issues released during the same month.

For instance, if you look at references to "Personal Computer News" for "Pssst" at WoS, you will notice that these full page links are missing:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0009401

Now if you look at the magazine sections for the same game at SC, you will notice that all "Personal Computer News" links work properly:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=9401

For each page, you have the option to open just the specific page image, or download the entire magazine issue PDF, or view the PDF directly inside the browser. Or you can click on the magazine issue to see a list of other game references in that specific issue. Or even click on the magazine name to get a list of all magazine issues...

If this explanation above sounds confusing, just try it yourself. It's quite intuitive in practice.

Support for magazines is certainly not a new feature at SC. It has existed for ages, but I bet lots of users never noticed it :)
1 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:06 am

Einar Saukas wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:55 pm
I forgot to mention that I have fixed references to magazine "Personal Computer News" in this last update!
Fantastic @Einar Saukas

PCN was always one of my favourites. It had a very different style to the other weeklies.
0 x

djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:27 am

Not sure if this is a bug or not, but in the past I've noticed the magazine references often link to one past the intended page. For example, the Pssst link takes me to page 79 when the actual reference is on page 78. It seems like the page numbers in archive.org links start at zero, with no page number specified for the first page, so subtracting one from the page number in the SC links might fix the problem.
0 x