The best Speccy game by Imagine: vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

The best Speccy game by Imagine

Poll ended at Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:38 pm

Ah Diddums
No votes
Alchemist
2%
Arcadia
2%
Arkanoid
No votes
Arkanoid - Revenge Of Doh
2%
Athena
No votes
B.C. Bill
2%
Cosmic Cruiser
No votes
Dragon Ninja
No votes
Galivan - Cosmo Police
No votes
Green Beret
17%
Guerrilla War
No votes
Hyper Sports
8%
Jumping Jack
6%
Konami's Golf
No votes
Konami's Tennis
2%
Legend Of Kage
No votes
Mag Max
No votes
Mikie
No votes
Molar Maul
No votes
Movie
6%
Pedro
No votes
Ping Pong
2%
Play For Your Life
No votes
Psycho Soldier
No votes
Rastan
2%
Renegade
10%
Renegade III
No votes
Schizoids
2%
Slap Fight
No votes
Stonkers
2%
Super Soccer
No votes
Target: Renegade
27%
Terra Cresta
2%
Typhoon
No votes
Victory Road
No votes
Vindicator, The
No votes
WEC Le Mans
2%
World Series Baseball
No votes
World Series Basketball
No votes
Yie Ar Kung-Fu
No votes
Yie Ar Kung-Fu II
No votes
Zip-Zap
No votes
Zzoom
2%

Total votes: 48

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

The best Speccy game by Imagine: vote

Post by PeteProdge »

Imagine. It's easy if you try.

And try they did, with huge showboating publicity, based on the questionable premise of their teenaged programmers earning sports cars. And as we all know that went tits up and the brand got gobbled up by Ocean.

And this is where a controversy about this poll rages, as the 12 ZX Spectrum games published by the original incarnation of Imagine, are really significantly different to the era when it was effectively a cosmetic extension of Ocean. I totally understand the arguments for separating them into two, as it's very 'apples and oranges'. It's a bit like comparing the games of Microprose to Zenobi Software. But hey, I've spent an eon putting up polls like 'What's the best Speccy game beginning with P?', so I'm not going to stop now. (I may run two 'Imagine (original incarnation)'/'Imagine (Ocean-owned)' polls in the future though.) Yes, I'm pitting B.C. Bill against Target Renegade; Ah Diddums against Green Beret... that's the way it goes.

As an Ocean-owned outlet, Imagine was there to mainly put out coin-op conversions - licensed by Nichibutsu, Konami, SNK and Taito. There was a small amount of original stuff, but we're talking single figures. Movie and Play For Your Life were two such efforts, then there were spiritual sequels to coin-op hits that were never in arcades (Target Renegade, Renegade III and The Vindicator).

Almost all of the Imagine-badged output from 6 Central Street is jaw-droppingly different to the days of those yellow/black 'For...' inlay spines.

It does make you wonder why Ocean bothered buying the name. Yes, it's a pretty cool logo, and I think it's the best software house logo of all time, but there's no reason why the 32 post-Liverpool games couldn't have been flung out under the Ocean label. Even Ocean themselves blurred the lines. you see the Ocean logo on-screen in Typhoon, yet it's Imagine on the inlay/adverts. Then there are Ocean releases like Konami's Gryzor and Taito's Rainbow Islands which surely should have been Imagine issues? There's no hard and fast rules really, so don't go looking for too much logic! (At least US Gold's acquisition of Ultimate led to the Birmingham-based behemoth at least capturing the style of Ultimate although obviously falling short on quality.)

Can anyone think of a case where a Manchester-based entity absorbs a widely-recognised icon from Liverpool, but ends up being far less creative?

In that alternative universe where Ocean didn't bother buying the Imagine name and their 32 efforts came under the Ocean label, then the best Speccy game by Ocean poll would have 138 viable contenders. As these forum polls come to a max of 127 entries, we would have needed to eliminate 11 of them at the discussion stage (almost certainly the magazine covertape stuff and Renegade III, obviously.)

Anyway, 44 titles listed here. What will be the winner? I wonder if I can get away with uttering "it's definitely not Stonkers"?..

Results here, 12:40ish next Sunday, UK time.

Ah Diddums
ImageImage

Alchemist
ImageImage

Arcadia
ImageImage

Arkanoid
ImageImage

Arkanoid - Revenge Of Doh
ImageImage

Athena
ImageImage

B.C. Bill
ImageImage

Cosmic Cruiser
ImageImage

Dragon Ninja
ImageImage

Galivan - Cosmo Police
ImageImage

Green Beret
ImageImage

Guerrilla War
ImageImage

Hyper Sports
ImageImage

Jumping Jack
ImageImage

Konami's Golf
ImageImage

Konami's Tennis
ImageImage

Legend Of Kage
ImageImage

Mag Max
ImageImage

Mikie
ImageImage

Molar Maul
ImageImage

Movie
ImageImage

Pedro
ImageImage

Ping Pong
ImageImage

Play For Your Life
ImageImage

Psycho Soldier
ImageImage

Rastan
ImageImage

Renegade
ImageImage

Renegade III
ImageImage

Schizoids
ImageImage

Slap Fight
ImageImage

Stonkers
ImageImage

Super Soccer
ImageImage

Target: Renegade
ImageImage

Terra Cresta
ImageImage

Typhoon
ImageImage

Victory Road
ImageImage

Vindicator, The
ImageImage

WEC Le Mans
ImageImage

World Series Baseball
ImageImage

World Series Basketball
ImageImage

Yie Ar Kung-Fu
ImageImage

Yie Ar Kung-Fu II
ImageImage

Zip-Zap
ImageImage

Zzoom
ImageImage
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: The best Speccy game by Imagine: vote

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Green Beret for me.An excellent conversion from the arcade game, as good and payable as it.

1 - Green Beret
2 - Hypersports
3 - WS Baseball
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Green Beret for me, as it's just an excellent game.

1 - Green Beret
2 - Ping Pong
3 - Arcadia
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

1. Target: Renegade
2. Green Beret
3. Hyper Sports
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

1 Target:Renegade
2 Hypersports
3 Renegade
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

First time I've taken part in my own poll using the proportional system...

1) Target: Renegade
2) Renegade
3) Green Beret
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

For me it has to be...

1. Alchemist
2. Arkanoid 2
3. Target: Renegade
IgorDimovski
Drutt

Post by IgorDimovski »

1. Green Beret
2. Hyper Sports
3. WEC le Mans
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

1) Jumping Jack
2) A very close 2nd, Arcadia
3) Arkanoid
Definition of loop : see loop
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Post by Hank Scorpio »

1. Target: Renegade
2. Mikie
3. Jumping Jack
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

I'm going to go with Zzoom, as it feels more "Imagine" than the others I'd pick. Slim pickings though, with a few exceptions it always seemed to me that the Imagine label was for the less good Ocean titles.

1. Zzoom
2. Arkanoid
3. Renegade
Metalbrain
Microbot

Post by Metalbrain »

1 - Green Beret
2 - Target: Renegade
3 - Arkanoid
Dark
Dizzy

Post by Dark »

Starting my spectrum life with a plus 2 meant I missed the first incarnation of Imagine, so to me they were always a software house of the big coin-up’s. I was completely oblivious to their early games and how they started out.

I got Renegade as a free gift when I subscribed to Crash magazine, me and my friends were blown away by it. By the time the sequel came round I was very excited to get it, and although I thought it was brilliant, through the two player option and being able to pick up weapons, it might have been slightly too easy. Thus I give a slight edge to the original. I never played the third in the series, in fact I didn’t even know about it until my recent bout of nostalgia brought me back to the Spectrum. Thus I assume I had moved on to my Sega Master System when it was originally released.

Anyway, my top three Imagine titles are,

1. Renegade
2. Target Renegade
3. WEC Le Mans
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

1. Konami Tennis
2. Yie Are Kung-Fu
3. Terra Cresta
Fahnn
Microbot

Post by Fahnn »

Really close decision, but in the end I'm going for Jumping Jack for its sheer originality (and longevity). There still isn't really anything else like it (that I can think of, anyway).

1. Jumping Jack
2. Hyper Sports
3. Ping Pong
PQR
Manic Miner

Post by PQR »

1 – Target: Renegade
2 – Hyper Sports
3 – WEC Le Mans

Runners up: Renegade, Green Beret
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Just came across this Imagine advert, really great:

WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

This is harder than the Ocean poll for me.

1) Movie
2) WEC Le Mans
3) Arkanoid

4) Jumping Jack
5) Renegade
6) Legend of Kage
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

1. Hypersports
2. Renegade
3. Green Beret
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Suprised really that I wasn't rating the later arcade conversions much above The Alchemist.
Looking back, they were churning out arcade versions of some fairly mediocre arcade games. I mean, were people really crying out for the chance to play Mag Max or Legend of Kage at home, or were the software houses so short of (or maybe afraid of) original ideas they'd convert anything going? I guess the appeal of arcade conversions was you could pretend you were playing something with better graphics.

WEC Le Mans was technically brilliant, but I still don't get how so many games like this missed the fact that on most later arcade racers the road started out much wider than the screen - look at how wide it is at the start of OutRun. So why is it squeezed to fit entirely within the screen width with no room to pass?

So for sheer fun and playability my vote goes to Green Beret.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Joefish wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:34 pm Looking back, they were churning out arcade versions of some fairly mediocre arcade games. I mean, were people really crying out for the chance to play Mag Max or Legend of Kage at home, or were the software houses so short of (or maybe afraid of) original ideas they'd convert anything going? I guess the appeal of arcade conversions was you could pretend you were playing something with better graphics.
I could be wrong here but I have a vague memory that they wouldn't necessarily buy the rights to individual arcade games (I reckon that changed from 1987/88 onwards) but to whatever arcade machines the manufacturer released over a given time. So that's why there was tripe like Mag Max, Rygar, etc which weren't very good arcade games to begin with, but they might as well do crappy conversions and put them out anyway.

Then when the PC Engine and Megadrive arrived in 87/88 the arcade manufacturers cottoned on to the kind of money they could make from licencing deals.

Probably wrong, but I got that impression from somewhere.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

Stonkers, I don't consider the "later" games really Imagine. Imagine in name only.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Vampyre wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:50 pm I could be wrong here but I have a vague memory that they wouldn't necessarily buy the rights to individual arcade games (I reckon that changed from 1987/88 onwards) but to whatever arcade machines the manufacturer released over a given time. So that's why there was tripe like Mag Max, Rygar, etc which weren't very good arcade games to begin with, but they might as well do crappy conversions and put them out anyway.
Could be true - except I actually liked the arcade Rygar! Although mainly for the graphics; the colourful worm sprites and the parallax scenery - but yes, there was certainly no point converting it to the Speccy; particularly with a load of stuff missed out. Thundercats did the same but much better for home systems.
Vampyre wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:50 pm Then when the PC Engine and Megadrive arrived in 87/88 the arcade manufacturers cottoned on to the kind of money they could make from licencing deals.
I always thought the main thing counting against the MegaDrive was its emphasis on the sort of flash-in-the-pan arcade games SEGA liked to produce. They'd take your money off you for a mind-blowing graphical (and moving-cabinet) experience, but at home, to play over and over again, you don't necessarily want a game that's designed to kill you ASAP to move on to the next punter. I suppose that's true for a lot of arcade conversions.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

1. Target; Renegade
2. Hypersports
3. World Series Baseball
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

Target: Renegade's success will always remain a mystery to me.