Spectrum namedrops...

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Spectrum namedrops...

Post by R-Tape »

I was talking to a guy at work today and naturally, the ZX Spectrum cropped up, he said his brother was friends with Andrew Onions at University and through him he was given a signed tape of 3D Tank Duel for playtesting.

I told him to find it!

Anyone else had similar 'funny you should mention' events?
Morkin
Bugaboo

Re: Links to Speccy greats

Post by Morkin »

Namedropping Speccy programmers FTW..!

Next time someone goes on about meeting some film star, I'll just recount the time I got my copy of Ant Attack signed by Sandy White.. :D
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Links to Speccy greats

Post by R-Tape »

Morkin wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:09 pm Namedropping Speccy programmers FTW..!
And there's a better thread title!
5MinuteRetro
Manic Miner

Re: Spectrum namedrops...

Post by 5MinuteRetro »

Hmm... I can't manage a Spectrum namedrop but, when I was a tech hack back in the mid-2000s, during a PR gig I once shared a London Eye pod with Mr Biffo of Digitiser fame. I was actually a bit starstruck.
Retro stuff, real quick
YouTube: http://bit.ly/5MinuteRetro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/5MinuteRetro
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Back in 2000ish I discovered that I lived literally round the corner from none other than Woodster, the legendary Speccy emulator coder! I sh*t you not, that was probably the best thing to happen that day.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

ZXDunny wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:41 am Back in 2000ish I discovered that I lived literally round the corner from none other than Woodster
The author of Super Crap Invaders and Scumball2? :o
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

A few years' back I met a couple of knowledgeable speccy chaps at the Play Expo at Blackpool. One had an intimidating physical presence and mad eyes, the other a funny bald bloke. I think they were called Jared and Codename something...
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

One of my mates is still very close friends with Mark Haden who programmed Metal Army. Used to go out boozing with them back in the 90's. Mark also worked for with Follis/Carter at Gargoyle Games/FTL for a while too.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Woodster
Drutt

Post by Woodster »

Back in 2000ish I discovered that I lived literally round the corner from none other than Dunny, the legendary Speccy emulator coder! I sh*t you not, that was probably the best thing to happen that day.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

ZXDunny wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:41 am Back in 2000ish I discovered that I lived literally round the corner from none other than Woodster, the legendary Speccy emulator coder! I sh*t you not, that was probably the best thing to happen that day.
Woodster wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:16 pm Back in 2000ish I discovered that I lived literally round the corner from none other than Dunny, the legendary Speccy emulator coder! I sh*t you not, that was probably the best thing to happen that day.
Damn those sock accounts. Ban them, I say! Ban the lot of them! :D

Oh, hi, Mark, by the way.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
polomint
Drutt

Post by polomint »

Back in 2000ish I discovered that I do not literally round the corner from none other than Woody, the legendary Speccy emulator coder! I sh*t you not, that was probably the best thing to happen that day.
So far, so meh :)
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

Used to live near gasman and spud, then when I realised it I moved away.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Have met gasman on one of those old comp.sys.sinclair meets in north London around 2003 or 2004, something like that.

Happily dealt with a customer complaint from Jon Ritman while I was working at an online technology retailer. (He was in the right, my colleagues did not think so, *sighs*)

Using RealProducer - which gives you an idea of how old this anecdote is - I captured the bits of E4's Thumb Candy that had Matthew Smith in it, and forwarded these RealPlayer clips on to his friend who had asked me to record them especially for Matthew.

Sat in between the Oliver Twins at Spectrum35, where I also met Jim Bagley and was in spitting distance of Jonathan Cauldwell and Rick Dickinson.

Now and again I speak with Iain Lee live on his late night talkRADIO show, had a chat about the ZX Spectrum days about a month ago when I was last on.

I'm friends with comedian Jon Pearson, who is one half of the Silicon Nights YouTube channel. I'm also friends with another comedian, Laura Monmoth, who put together the LGBTQZX show.

Back in 1983 I discovered that I lived literally round the corner from none other than Ryan Lambie, who would go on to become a DenOfGeek.com writer, penning quite a few articles on old ZX Spectrum games. I sh*t you not, that was probably the best thing to happen that day.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

And just half an hour after posting that, my Facebook comment to a certain figure on the Spectrum scene is screenshot and used as a basis for today's Register article on a certain piece of Spectrum-related hardware. Blimey.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

EDIT - moved to miscellaneous, some idiot started this thread in Brand New Software.
PeteProdge wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:49 pm Happily dealt with a customer complaint from Jon Ritman while I was working at an online technology retailer. (He was in the right, my colleagues did not think so, *sighs*)
It sounds like you did ask "are you the Jon Ritman?"

To be fair, I'd probably side with a Speccy hero whatever the issue was. "Broken coffee cup holder on your PC sir? absolutely, I'd be head over heels to send you a new one".
PeteProdge wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:12 pm And just half an hour after posting that, my Facebook comment to a certain figure on the Spectrum scene is screenshot and used as a basis for today's Register article on a certain piece of Spectrum-related hardware. Blimey.
Cripes! The only bits of facebook I get to see are things kicking off.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:18 pm EDIT - moved to miscellaneous, some idiot started this thread in Brand New Software.
PeteProdge wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:49 pm Happily dealt with a customer complaint from Jon Ritman while I was working at an online technology retailer. (He was in the right, my colleagues did not think so, *sighs*)
It sounds like you did ask "are you the Jon Ritman?
Heh, didn't need to, it was all through email and I could tell it was him!
R-Tape wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:18 pmTo be fair, I'd probably side with a Speccy hero whatever it was. "Broken coffee cup holder on your PC sir, absolutely, I'd be head over heels to send you a new one".
Yeah, I see where you're coming from, but he was actually in the right and I was one of the few people in the department for whom technology is a passion.
R-Tape wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:18 pm
PeteProdge wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:12 pm And just half an hour after posting that, my Facebook comment to a certain figure on the Spectrum scene is screenshot and used as a basis for today's Register article on a certain piece of Spectrum-related hardware. Blimey.
Cripes! The only bits of facebook I get to see are things kicking off.
Yeah, although I'm a rarity in trying to keep things civil, as evidenced in that screenshot.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PeteProdge wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:22 pm Heh, didn't need to, it was all through email and I could tell it was him!
That "Jon Ritman, Legendary ZX-Spectrum Coder" signature was the giveaway.
KenD
Drutt

Post by KenD »

OK, this isn't really Speccy-related, but: I met the lady who did the at some of the voices of the Lemmings.

I was working in Dundee doing general IT support, and regularly visited a small company which I'm sure was called Medical Instrumentation. I got to know them pretty well, and one day one of the ladies there mentioned that her son worked at a company nearby ... DMA Design. Her name was Mrs Johnston, and her son was Scott Johnston (who wrote the classic Hired Guns). I can't remember the exact store, but one day he'd asked her to record a few phrases for one of the games they were working on, something to do with little men falling off cliffs ...

I emailed Scott years later, just to say "hello" to him ... and his mum :)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I worked in Chichester with Adrian Fosberry of AGF fame.
Mike Davies
Microbot

Post by Mike Davies »

I worked for Lovefilm, which was acquired by Amazon along with an independent video streaming development company called PushButton. Amazon merged these two companies to form Amazon Development Centre London (in 2012), and the head of PushButton became our managing director. Someone called Paula Byrne. The top-floor lounge/eating-area had two MAME cabinets and a cocktail table MAME console, which was nice. Turns out our managing director is fond of retro games too.

Only after I left Amazon did I realise that Paula Byrne worked for Melbourne House back in the eighties, and then switched to Telecomsoft/Firebird/Rainbird (https://www.filfre.net/2015/06/kaos/), and led the management buyout of the software arm from BT. http://birdsanctuary.co.uk/sale/2/

It's my loss that my anger around the cultural toxicity of Amazon got in the way of getting to know Paula.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Neat (and a shame). It sounds like she went some way to improving the workplace atmosphere at least.

While I've got you - I'm sure LoveFilm owed me a disc in the post before it shut up shop, I had 'La Famille Belier' on my high priority list. Could you look into it please?
PaulJ
Microbot

Post by PaulJ »

I used to work in a computer shop in Harrogate and for a while was friendly with Ed Hickman. He wrote a few DK Tronics games like Appple Jam and Zig Zag (and some Amiga titles too) He had a rather nice Porsche!.

Also in the shop on a regular basis were the Twighlight boys (also called Atronic and some others!). They wrote Mega Twins and DNA Warrior for the Speccy, amongst others - possibly even WWF?? (and some Amiga games..)

Top Fact: The initial high scores on Elf (the Amiga Game) included several initials, one being PJ - which was me!! They told me they would add me for giving them good deals and letting them use my NEC Multisync 3D monitor to test Alfred Chicken for the Gameboy.
Paul Jenkinson | The Spectrum Show & other stuff!
gasman
Drutt

Post by gasman »

Some time around 2005 I took part in a hackathon in London where you had to build and present a tech project over the course of a weekend. I ended up teaming up with a couple of folks who were building a website called UNdemocracy, which scraped the PDF-ridden UN website and presented the information in searchable form. It was only after the event that I realised one of them was Julian Todd of Fat Worm Blows A Sparky fame...
5MinuteRetro
Manic Miner

Post by 5MinuteRetro »

Sounds a bit daft but I've literally just remembered that one of my good mates in the late 80s/early 90s was Fred O'Rourke: https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.php?cat=999. I remember one weekend heading up north somewhere with him to visit the offices of Teque. I was pretty awestruck by the presence of Peter Harrap and Shaun Hollingworth. They probably thought I was a bit odd.

We parted ways when he headed somewhere up north and I headed to London. I tried to contact him a couple of times since but came to nothing. Perhaps he thought I was a bit odd too. :shock:

Ho hum!
Retro stuff, real quick
YouTube: http://bit.ly/5MinuteRetro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/5MinuteRetro
alun
Drutt

Post by alun »

I went to college with Julian Todd, author of Fat Worm Blows a Sparky. Nice guy. Studied more than I did.