Mod action

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Mod action

Post by R-Tape » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:02 am

Okayyy. We’ve decided to close d2010’s account. We tried for a while and gave him feedback on how not to spam the forum, but from posting his videos everywhere (now consolidated into one thread), to posting commercial spam, to AutoCad links, to gibberish in both English and Romanian, to endless requests for donations, we decided it was time to call it a day.

He has his fans and his critics (and some complaints), and I count myself among the former for some of his vids, but I think we have a rough idea where his youtube channel is now. Obviously the videos weren’t for the intention of spamming/trolling the forum, so I’m sure he’ll keep doing them and we can continue to enjoy them there.
9 x

PROSM
Dizzy

Re: Mod action

Post by PROSM » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:12 am

I knew this day would come eventually. I fully support the action, of course, as he was making a mess of the forum, but I did love watching those videos, for reasons I can't really explain, even to myself. Maybe one day, I too will write a game so worthy of attention that he will nonsense-ify it in his own signature style of bird-songs, sine waves and bizarre chroma key backgrounds. :lol:

Whatever he does in the future, I hope he has better luck finding the instructions (excuse me, inkey$) for new games.
0 x
All software to-date

Current Projects:
Currently working on ZX Adventure Designer, which lets one create point-and-click graphic adventures for a 48K Spectrum.

ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:17 am

Not a bad call. He might not be Roger Jowett, but he's cut from the same cloth.

Suggestion: Sub-forum for mod actions where bans can be explained by the mods (comments/replies disabled) in the interests of transparency.
0 x

PROSM
Dizzy

Post by PROSM » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:23 am

ZXDunny wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:17 am
Not a bad call. He might not be Roger Jowett, but he's cut from the same cloth.

Suggestion: Sub-forum for mod actions where bans can be explained by the mods (comments/replies disabled) in the interests of transparency.
I second the sub-forum idea, but suggest that comments be left on, with thread creation restricted to moderators. Obviously, it is their site to do with as they please, but I think that one of the strengths here is that the mods will consult with everyone when action like this is taken. I do trust the mods to do the right thing, but it is also good to have a two-way street for communication regarding bans/suspensions.
0 x
All software to-date

Current Projects:
Currently working on ZX Adventure Designer, which lets one create point-and-click graphic adventures for a 48K Spectrum.

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:32 am

Thank Frith for that. :roll:
0 x

Ralf
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ralf » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:53 am

I understand the decision and I understand that it wasn't taken lightly because we try here to be friendly
and tolerant even to some extent of weirdness.

I don't recall all posts of d2010 but I guess he just went too far.

Remember guys, you may write nonsense but do it in small, acceptable doses ;)
0 x

Sokurah
Microbot

Post by Sokurah » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:10 am

It's always (well, usually) sad when someone is blocked or an account is closed. While I'm happy I don't have to read his incoherent ramblings anymore, I can't help but think that perhaps he needed another warning first. But like Ralf says; "perhaps I just didn't see all of his posts" and if he has been issued repeated warnings, then it's the right decision as I don't think his videos contributed in any way that'll be missed.
1 x
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:30 am

I would like to congratulate moderators for the way they handled this case.

It's very difficult to be fair in cases of "unintentional trolling". Moderators here demonstrated understanding and sensitivity, trying to accommodate the situation without much fuss, then finally applying this ban when there was no other option left. And they were also transparent about their decision at the right time.

Good job!
5 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:43 am

^-- That as well. Good job.
0 x

arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:26 pm

But....but...he was my inspiration!! Where shall I get my daily fix of mental stimulation now!
2 x