Mod action

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Mod action

Post by R-Tape »

Okayyy. We’ve decided to close d2010’s account. We tried for a while and gave him feedback on how not to spam the forum, but from posting his videos everywhere (now consolidated into one thread), to posting commercial spam, to AutoCad links, to gibberish in both English and Romanian, to endless requests for donations, we decided it was time to call it a day.

He has his fans and his critics (and some complaints), and I count myself among the former for some of his vids, but I think we have a rough idea where his youtube channel is now. Obviously the videos weren’t for the intention of spamming/trolling the forum, so I’m sure he’ll keep doing them and we can continue to enjoy them there.
PROSM
Manic Miner

Re: Mod action

Post by PROSM »

I knew this day would come eventually. I fully support the action, of course, as he was making a mess of the forum, but I did love watching those videos, for reasons I can't really explain, even to myself. Maybe one day, I too will write a game so worthy of attention that he will nonsense-ify it in his own signature style of bird-songs, sine waves and bizarre chroma key backgrounds. :lol:

Whatever he does in the future, I hope he has better luck finding the instructions (excuse me, inkey$) for new games.
All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Not a bad call. He might not be Roger Jowett, but he's cut from the same cloth.

Suggestion: Sub-forum for mod actions where bans can be explained by the mods (comments/replies disabled) in the interests of transparency.
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

ZXDunny wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:17 am Not a bad call. He might not be Roger Jowett, but he's cut from the same cloth.

Suggestion: Sub-forum for mod actions where bans can be explained by the mods (comments/replies disabled) in the interests of transparency.
I second the sub-forum idea, but suggest that comments be left on, with thread creation restricted to moderators. Obviously, it is their site to do with as they please, but I think that one of the strengths here is that the mods will consult with everyone when action like this is taken. I do trust the mods to do the right thing, but it is also good to have a two-way street for communication regarding bans/suspensions.
All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Thank Frith for that. :roll:
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I understand the decision and I understand that it wasn't taken lightly because we try here to be friendly
and tolerant even to some extent of weirdness.

I don't recall all posts of d2010 but I guess he just went too far.

Remember guys, you may write nonsense but do it in small, acceptable doses ;)
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

It's always (well, usually) sad when someone is blocked or an account is closed. While I'm happy I don't have to read his incoherent ramblings anymore, I can't help but think that perhaps he needed another warning first. But like Ralf says; "perhaps I just didn't see all of his posts" and if he has been issued repeated warnings, then it's the right decision as I don't think his videos contributed in any way that'll be missed.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

I would like to congratulate moderators for the way they handled this case.

It's very difficult to be fair in cases of "unintentional trolling". Moderators here demonstrated understanding and sensitivity, trying to accommodate the situation without much fuss, then finally applying this ban when there was no other option left. And they were also transparent about their decision at the right time.

Good job!
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

^-- That as well. Good job.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

But....but...he was my inspiration!! Where shall I get my daily fix of mental stimulation now!
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

arkannoyed wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:26 pmBut....but...he was my inspiration!! Where shall I get my daily fix of mental stimulation now!
I believe there are many excellent intellectually stimulating daytime television programmes covering important topics such as how to con old ladies out of their savings or how to go about sueing your own children for ruining your sex life, among other vital and current issues.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Good call to the mods for this one. I genuinely had no idea what his wobbly screens were supposed to be, plus some of the music sounded like it was from an early 80's kids TV program about eastern European folk mythology!! All very random.

If this had been like WoS there would have been angry mob with flaming torches and pitchforks straight round his gaf after his second post :lol: :lol:

He had a good run.
zxbruno
Manic Miner

Post by zxbruno »

Finally. I was starting to believe the mods were afraid of taking action for fearing “This is becoming WOS” comments. Don’t worry mods, you’ll be put to the test again and again.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

For me the problem is less the people on WOS, it's the bloody forum software. It's sh*te.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Joefish wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:54 pm
arkannoyed wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:26 pmBut....but...he was my inspiration!! Where shall I get my daily fix of mental stimulation now!
I believe there are many excellent intellectually stimulating daytime television programmes covering important topics such as how to con old ladies out of their savings or how to go about sueing your own children for ruining your sex life, among other vital and current issues.
Or, common or garden LSD will probably do the trick pretty well too.

Troll awards so far then:

(Inaugural season) 2017-2018 - Mr Pixel
2018 - 2019 - d2010

Look forward then to seeing next years winner, though hoping not to add my name to the list.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

ZXDunny wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:20 pm it's the bloody forum software. It's sh*te.
You can say that again. :? I rarely get mention notifications nowadays. I’m sure people think I’m rude for ignoring them.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

I received several nonsense pm's from him and he even posted at Planeta Sinclair. I failed to understand most of his posts and messages, but I guess he failed as well... :lol:
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

He probably has some kind of mental problem and in the recent days he had some peak of it.

My personal opinion is that we shouldn't call him a troll, a troll for me is a person consciously and willingly
making some havoc and here he was completely lost.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Ralf wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:13 pm He probably has some kind of mental problem and in the recent days he had some peak of it.

My personal opinion is that we shouldn't call him a troll, a troll for me is a person consciously and willingly
making some havoc and here he was completely lost.
Now I feel bad. Perhaps d2010 did have some issues I should be more empathetic about (I don't know), I just have trouble believing that someone like Mr Pixel could lack enough self-awareness to be posting the sort of facile crap he was. It also seems a bit odd to me that two users who didn't overlap in their membership periods have the same M.O., which seems to be post crap and divert attention from the good stuff on here. But maybe I'm just paranoid!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:50 pm But maybe I'm just paranoid!
Which doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you. ;)
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.