I've made a one liner - called Line

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: I've made a one liner - called Line

Post by Einar Saukas »

patters wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:13 pm Updated again to combine the creation of the gate into the red playfield outline loop. Is there a tighter way to encode these DRAW operations I wonder...
To produce exactly the same red outline, replace this:

Code: Select all

LET g=8*(l>9): PLOT 2,170: FOR n=0 TO 1: DRAW 247,0: DRAW 0,n-66-g: PLOT 249-n,71+g: DRAW 0,n-65-g: DRAW n+n-248,0: DRAW 0,163: NEXT n
with this:

LET g=8*(l>9): FOR n=0 TO 1: PLOT 249-n,71+g: DRAW 0,n-65-g: DRAW n+n-248,0: DRAW 0,163: DRAW 247,0: DRAW 0,-n-65-g: NEXT n
However, gameplay works much better if the gate becomes gradually narrower after each level, instead of reducing size only once at level 10. This change will also make this code a lot shorter:

FOR n=0 TO 1: PLOT 249-n,63+l: DRAW 0,n-57-l: DRAW n+n-248,0: DRAW 0,163: DRAW 247,0: DRAW 0,-n-57-l: NEXT n
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

Great game, managed to get to level 15 so far.

Probably the best Speccy release this year. (It is the only one I've played though :P)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Replace this:

READ p,q,e,l,d$: ... POKE q,65: ... DATA 23620,p+73,21,1,"//"
with this:

READ p,e,l,d$: ... POKE p+73,65: ... DATA 23620,21,1,"//"
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

To backtrack a bit...
Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:23 pmDon't use parenthesis unless really necessary. For instance, you can save 2 characters replacing...
This is original code from 1996 which I had missed. :oops:
Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:23 pmThis way, users would be able to play the game using whatever key they prefer.
This is a great improvement because it means the game no longer needs instructions. To cover the only remaining non-intuitive aspect, I had wondered about putting LEVEL x/20 at the top left, to make it clear that there is a goal, but in my opinion it spoils the clean presentation.
Einar Saukas wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:49 pmHowever the lives indicator looks much better using INK 3
I hadn't tried that but I agree, now there's a consistent design for HUD elements. I had suspected it wouldn't be obvious what the slashes referred to, but this does look better, and it's very clear.
Einar Saukas wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:10 pmIt won't work exactly the same way, since the incidence of stars in the first and last rows, also first and last columns, will be reduced by 50%. But I think it looks even better this way. It looks good to have a higher concentration of stars closer to the center of the galaxy, not as many stars near the edge...
Yes this is better because star placement in that first and last column can spoil levels making success more dependent on luck than skill alone. This mitigates that effect.
Einar Saukas wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:40 pmHowever, gameplay works much better if the gate becomes gradually narrower after each level, instead of reducing size only once at level 10. This change will also make this code a lot shorter.
I also spent some time coding that then I realised it results in quite significant red colour clash (more so than for the obstacles). Also I saw some collision detection issues relating to the grid alignment and only checking every 2 pixels of line progression, so this deterred me from implementing. I didn't really like that the gate has to start a fair bit wider without resorting to some scaling, which would add characters.

Thanks for the awesome work on all the other enhancements. I have been able to reinstate the satisfying pattering sound of the obstacle placement and the level-up plink sound, which I think are actually quite catchy elements of the game. The only thing I'm not entirely happy with now is the death sound. I need it to be long enough you can see how you died before the screen is redrawn (without relying on a PAUSE), and I want it to be an irritating sound to contrast the nicer sounds. However, a single tone doesn't seem enough...

Latest listing:

READ p,e,l,d$:
FOR d=1 TO 3:
POKE p+73,65:
BORDER 0:
CLS :
INK 2:
LET g=8*(l>9):
FOR n=0 TO 1:
PLOT 249-n,71+g:
DRAW 0,n-65-g:
DRAW n+n-248,0:
DRAW 0,163:
DRAW 247,0:
DRAW 0,-n-65-g:
NEXT n:
PRINT INK 3;"LEVEL ";l;AT 20,28+d;d$(d TO ):
INK RND*4+3.5:
FOR n=-e TO l*3:
PRINT AT RND*17+2,RND*25+4;"*":
BEEP .0001,60:
NEXT n:
INK 8:
LET y=85:
PLOT 8,y:
FOR x=5 TO 125:
LET k=4*(INKEY$<>"")-2:
LET y=y+k:
POKE p*POINT (x+x,y),35:
DRAW 2,k:
NEXT x:
LET l=l+1:
BEEP .01,20:
BEEP .01,30:
POKE p,3+34*(l=e):
BEEP .2,-20:
NEXT d:
DIM a$(32):
INK 1+5*(l=e):
FOR n=0 TO 10:
PRINT AT n,0; OVER 1;a$;AT e-n,0;a$:
NEXT n:
PRINT AT 10,n; INK 7;"GAME OVER" AND l<e;"WELL DONE" AND l=e:
DATA 23620,21,1,"//"
Download link
Last edited by patters on Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

Spud wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:43 pm Great game, managed to get to level 15 so far.

Probably the best Speccy release this year. (It is the only one I've played though :P)
Thanks. High praise indeed :)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

patters wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:04 pm
Einar Saukas wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:40 pmHowever, gameplay works much better if the gate becomes gradually narrower after each level, instead of reducing size only once at level 10. This change will also make this code a lot shorter.
I also spent some time coding that then I realised it results in quite significant red colour clash (more so than for the obstacles). Also I saw some collision detection issues relating to the grid alignment and only checking every 2 pixels of line progression, so this deterred me from implementing.
Both problems can be solved also replacing this:

FOR x=5 TO 125
with this:

FOR x=5 TO 124
Now you will only get a single pixel of color clash at the gate at most, for a brief moment. It's much less noticeable than the color clash you already have whenever the line passes close to a star. Since you cannot completely avoid color clash in this new version anyway, I don't think it's worth it to sacrifice gameplay just to avoid one more case of color clash.

I wrote "sacrifice gameplay" because I think the game looks much more exciting when the gate gets gradually narrower after each level. Instead of 9 levels with a large gate, followed by 11 levels with a small gate. However that's just my opinion. It's your game so it's your decision!

patters wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:04 pm This is a great improvement because it means the game no longer needs instructions. To cover the only remaining non-intuitive aspect, I had wondered about putting LEVEL x/20 at the top left, to make it clear that there is a goal, but in my opinion it spoils the clean presentation.
Again, it's non-intuitive because many players won't read the instructions, they will assume the game doesn't have an ending so they won't persevere to finish it.

If the gate gets narrower after each level, this will provide a clear goal for them, without the need for explanations.

patters wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:04 pm I didn't really like that the gate has to start a fair bit wider without resorting to some scaling, which would add characters.
It will make the game more accessible in the beginning, and more challenging in the end. I don't think that's a bad thing.

patters wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:04 pm Thanks for the awesome work on all the other enhancements.
You are welcome!

patters wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:04 pm I have been able to reinstate the satisfying pattering sound of the obstacle placement and the level-up plink sound, which I think are actually quite catchy elements of the game. The only thing I'm not entirely happy with now is the death sound. I need it to be long enough you can see how you died before the screen is redrawn (without relying on a PAUSE), and I want it to be an irritating sound to contrast the nicer sounds. However, a single tone doesn't seem enough...
I'm sure we can save a few more characters, so you can add a second BEEP. How much more space do you need?

To save a few more characters, replace this:

READ p,e,l,d$: ... FOR n=0 TO 1: PLOT 249-n,63+l: DRAW 0,n-57-l: DRAW n+n-248,0: DRAW 0,163: DRAW 247,0: DRAW 0,-n-57-l: NEXT n: ... DATA 23620,21,1,"//"
with this:

READ p,l,d$: ... FOR e=19 TO 20: PLOT 268-e,63+l: DRAW 0,e-76-l: DRAW e+e-286,0: DRAW 0,163: DRAW 247,0: DRAW 0,-e-38-l: NEXT e: ... DATA 23620,1,"//"
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Here's how to save another 12 characters. Replace this:

READ p,l,d$: ... POKE p+73,65: ... PRINT ... AT 20,28+d;d$(d TO ): ... POKE p*POINT (x+x,y),35: ... POKE p,3+34*(l=e): DATA 23620,1,"//"
with this:

LET l=1: ... POKE 23693,65: ... PRINT ... AT 20,28+d;"//"(d TO ): ... POKE 23620*POINT (x+x,y),35: ... POKE 23620,3+34*(l=e)
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

Wow, more great optimisations. I almost suspect you'll be able to halve the size of this listing if you keep looking. :lol:

Using another loop to define "e" like that at the beginning is ingenious. Also in retrospect I have no idea why I defined d$ instead of slicing the string directly.

I'll do some more experimenting with the gate. The other thing about the gradual progression design is that the game difficulty will decrease, and I currently consider it to be just right: clearly difficult, but tantalisingly possible. Still, it's nothing that can't be tuned...
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Nice!!
It's fun when you bump into the gate :x I agree that would be fun to see it narrowing sooner in the game.
Suggestion: put a max number of keystrokes on every screen. I think it'd be fun to see this number decreasing.
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

I think Einar's example use of the unmodified variable 'l' for the gate sizing results in a gate that starts too wide (making it too easy for too long) and ends with it too narrow for my liking. I prefer to use 'l/2' which starts the gate 4 pixels wider than before (36px compared to 32px). It shrinks by two pixels every second level, finishing at 16px for level 20 (the previous small size).

I've had to resort to:

LET g=INT (l/2)
because otherwise 0.5 rounding up makes a mess of the DRAW operations. Is there a better way?
I can't stop play testing this - I did just complete it again, very satisfying :)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Can you please post your new listing?
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

Sure:

LET l=1:
FOR d=1 TO 3:
  POKE 23693,65:
  LET g=INT (l/2):
  BORDER 0:
  CLS :
  INK 2:
  FOR e=19 TO 20:
    PLOT 268-e,69+g:
    DRAW 0,e-82-g:
    DRAW e+e-286,0:
    DRAW 0,163:
    DRAW 247,0:
    DRAW 0,-e-44-g:
  NEXT e:
  PRINT INK 3;"LEVEL ";l;AT 20,28+d;"//"(d TO ):
  INK RND*4+3.5:
  FOR n=-e TO l*3:
    PRINT AT RND*17+2,RND*25+4;"*":
    BEEP .0001,60:
  NEXT n:
  INK 8:
  LET y=85:
  PLOT 8,y:
  FOR x=5 TO 124:
    LET k=4*(INKEY$<>"")-2:
    LET y=y+k:
    POKE 23620*POINT (x+x,y),35:
    DRAW 2,k:
  NEXT x:
  LET l=l+1:
  BEEP .01,20:
  BEEP .01,30:
  POKE 23620,3+34*(l=e):
  BEEP .2,-20:
NEXT d:
DIM a$(32):
INK 1+5*(l=e):
FOR n=0 TO 10:
  PRINT AT n,0; OVER 1;a$;AT e-n,0;a$:
NEXT n:
PRINT AT 10,n; INK 7;"GAME OVER" AND l<e;"WELL DONE" AND l=e
I was thinking about the BEEPs that I wanted for the death and game over sound. The ones in my original game were just way too many characters, and in retrospect they're far less important than the sounds I've already incorporated, so I'm not too focussed on their inclusion. I'm ready to release this version via my itch.io page unless Einar can find some new optimisations (I have no doubt that he will :-)).
Last edited by patters on Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

hikoki wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:52 pm Nice!!
Thanks!
hikoki wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:52 pm Suggestion: put a max number of keystrokes on every screen. I think it'd be fun to see this number decreasing.
This small change would slow the line down, and I really like how fast this runs especially on real hardware. Also, one technique for getting through some tight spaces is to hammer the button repeatedly, so I'm not sure this would enhance the game.

What do people think of the difficulty? I have completed it a few times and certainly find it addictive, but I'm wary of setting the skill level too high due to my high number of hours play testing, a bit like how Rafaele Cecco admitted in an interview that difficulty of Cybernoid is way too high for similar reasons. The key to success in this game is to carefully watch the screen during the time the obstacles are deployed and pick your trajectory at that time, rather than winging it.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

To produce exactly the same gate, replace this:

LET g=INT (l/2): FOR e=19 TO 20: PLOT 268-e,69+g: DRAW 0,e-82-g: DRAW e+e-286,0: DRAW 0,163: DRAW 247,0: DRAW 0,-e-44-g: NEXT e
with this:

FOR e=19 TO 20: PLOT 268-e,68.9+l/2: DRAW 0,e-82-l/2: DRAW e+e-286,0: DRAW 0,163: DRAW 247,0: DRAW 0,-e-44-l/2: NEXT e
In your current version, the gate reduces 2 pixels every 2 levels. However it's a more "elegant" solution to reduce 1 pixel every level, as follows:

FOR e=19 TO 20: PLOT 268-e,69+l/2: DRAW 0,e-82.1-l/2: DRAW e+e-286,0: DRAW 0,163: DRAW 247,0: DRAW 0,-e-44-l/2: NEXT e
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

Great, thanks Einar. I do prefer one pixel per level, and shorter too - who can argue with that. Thanks for all the help, it's been very educational.
I shall upload the finished game to https://patters.itch.io/line, and update all the screenshots, credits, etc.

I now nominate IvanBasic to make the next one liner :lol:
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Replace this:

LET k=4*(INKEY$<>"")-2
with this:

LET k=2-4*(INKEY$="")
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Replace this:

FOR n=-e TO l*3: PRINT AT RND*17+2,RND*25+4;"*": BEEP .0001,60: NEXT n: INK 8: LET y=85: PLOT 8,y
with this:

FOR y=84-l*3-e TO 84: PRINT AT RND*17+2,RND*25+4;"*": BEEP .0001,60: NEXT y: INK 8: PLOT 8,y
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

patters wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:34 pm Great, thanks Einar. I do prefer one pixel per level, and shorter too - who can argue with that. Thanks for all the help, it's been very educational.
I shall upload the finished game to https://patters.itch.io/line, and update all the screenshots, credits, etc.
You are welcome!

Can we have your permission to this program to ZXDB and host the file at other free websites too?
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

patters wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:34 pm Great, thanks Einar. I do prefer one pixel per level, and shorter too - who can argue with that. Thanks for all the help, it's been very educational.
You are welcome!

Can we have your permission to this program to ZXDB and host the file at other free websites too?
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Here's just one more idea.

Since you have plenty of free space now, why don't you could play a short BEEP sequence before the game starts?

If you add a FOR/NEXT with variable 'l', then you can remove LET l=1 from the beginning, and also replace LET l=l+1 with NEXT l.

I mean, replace this:

1 LET l=1: ... NEXT x: LET l=l+1: ...
with this:

1 FOR l=-9 TO 0: BEEP .01,l+9: BEEP .01, l: NEXT l: ... NEXT x: NEXT l: ...
Give it a try :)
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

Einar Saukas wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:55 pm You are welcome!

I'd prefer to confine it to itch.io at first because it offers some useful analytics and logging, then we can add it to ZXDB after a few weeks, like I did with Artillery.
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

Einar Saukas wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:08 pm

1 LET l=1: ... NEXT x: LET l=l+1: ...
with this:

1 FOR l=-9 TO 0: BEEP .01,l+9: BEEP .01, l: NEXT l: ... NEXT x: NEXT l: ...
Give it a try :)
Hmm. I just tried that, but it seems to increment the level counter by two on each level completion which is odd, given that I tested something similar in BASIC out of curiosity just before implementing. I did definitely remove the LET l=l+1
EDIT - nevermind - it was my POKE jumping to the wrong statement number and hitting the first NEXT l again.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

patters wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:02 am
Einar Saukas wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:55 pm You are welcome!

I'd prefer to confine it to itch.io at first because it offers some useful analytics and logging, then we can add it to ZXDB after a few weeks, like I did with Artillery.
Sure, no problem!

Thanks for allowing me to participate here, it was really fun! :)
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

Final listing below. Einar, before I update my itch.io page, is there a better way to write that BEEP in the second statement?

1 FOR l=-6 TO 0:
BEEP .02,(l+6)*5-10:
NEXT l:
FOR d=1 TO 3:
POKE 23693,65:
BORDER 0:
CLS :
INK 2:
FOR e=19 TO 20:
PLOT 268-e,69+l/2:
DRAW 0,e-82.1-l/2: