The best Speccy game by Encore: vote re-run (sorry)

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

Poll ended at Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:38 am

Mike Read's Pop Quiz
41%
Spitfire
59%

Total votes: 17

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

14 of you voted last time. 7 for one game, and, er, well, 7 for the other.

Now, wouldn't demand or expect you to change your minds purely to conclude the poll, but with an increased turnout, maybe we'll get somewhere. So if you're one of the lurkers who looked in last time, try devoting a few minutes to playing the entire original ZX Spectrum games library of Encore - literally two games - and form an opinion...

Mike Read's Pop Quiz
ImageImage

Spitfire
ImageImage
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: The best Speccy game by Encore: vote re-run (sorry)

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Spitfire again.

By the way, who's Mike Read? :mrgreen:
Fahnn
Microbot

Post by Fahnn »

I finally played Mike Read's Pop Quiz today. I'm a total pop nerd, so I'm not sure why I've not sought it out before (probably because of the Mike Read connection).

I didn't mind the obscure 1950s/1960s questions, as these are fair (and some should always be included in a well-rounded pop quiz) plus - due to my near-encyclopaedic knowledge of the Guinness Book Of Hit Singles (1983 edition) - I got almost all of them right, but as others have said, what is it with all the questions on classical music? Absolutely bizarre. I don't remember the TV version having classical music/opera questions at all. Was it some obsession of the programmer or something?

Also there are some really basic errors, the most glaring of which - because it seemed to be the answer to a lot of questions - was calling AC/DC "AC & DC". Pretty poor quality control there.

Plus, purely on an aesthetic side, for some reason all the "female" characters look like men. One in particular bears a striking resemblance to Phil Oakey out of the Human League and it was quite disconcerting to have them referred to as "Sandra" or whatever, when they quite obviously should have been referred to as "Phil".

So anyway, although I've never played Spitfire, I'll vote for it, because it can't possibly be as bad as Mike Read's Pop Quiz.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

I missed the vote last time.
I've gone for Spitfire.