The best Speccy game by Micromega: discussion

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

The best Speccy game by Micromega: discussion

Post by PeteProdge »

Okey doke, going through that A-Z poll of polls, I've landed on Micromega, who were around at the very earliest point of the Speccy, having pushed out games on the ZX81. They also released utilities and applications, and developed a lot of educational stuff for Longman Software. We're concentrating on their ZX Spectrum games of course, so I've whittled down their output to this lot...

Blackjack
Brainstorm
Braxx Bluff
Codename Mat
Craps
Day In The Life, A
Deathchase
Dominoes
Full Throttle
Haunted Hedges
Jasper!
Kentilla
Luna Crabs
Monte Carlo
Puzzler
Roulette
Starclash

...as usual, do give me any pointers on amending this list of course.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Re: The best Speccy game by Micromega: discussion

Post by ZXDunny »

Gonna be Deathchase, I suppose... :D
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

Shame, because Day in the Life, A is terrific.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

If Deathchase doesn't win, I'll fill in the official SC complaint form.
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

Day In The Life, A
Deathchase
Jasper!
Luna Crabs

I don't know a lot of these games, but these four are all great. Jasper i really got into, but some of the jumps you had to do were really tricky. Luna Crabs was just good fun, no great ideas here but lots to shoot, total rip off of the same 3D Tanks style game. Deathchase loved by all pretty much, a great early game, but for me, i played A Day In The Life way more than the others. One day i might finish it !
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Luna Crabs was the first game i played on my Speccy after picking it up from Boots as a replacement for a 3rd dead Dragon32. The hi-res graphics of Luna Crabs blew me away and i spent ages playing it just to see the, then amazing 3d graphics. However Deathchase is just a brilliant game and still stands up today as a sort of forerunner of the modern ‘runner’ games just going for higher and higher scores. Full Throttle was pretty good as well and I loved the leaning animations.
RoseTintedSpectrum
Dizzy

Post by RoseTintedSpectrum »

Deathchase. I loved it to bits, and it still holds up well. Even the control scheme is pretty damn ingenious.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Haunted Hedges - This is one of the first games I played as it came bundled with my speccy.

Codename Mat - Got this with my speccy too. I still don't know how to play it.

Craps - Yes it is!

A Day in the Life - This game scares me. What's happened to his body?

Deathchase - Or 3D Deathchase. Wow! What a game. So simple, so addictive.
MrD
Drutt

Post by MrD »

Deathchase, although I really like Braxx Bluff too - despite the fact it took me years (literally) to work out how to get past the 1st lander stage...
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

The amazing thing about Deathchase is that is only 16K... everyone usually sends e-mails bigger than 16kb (and they're not as enjoyable as the game!)

Maybe even this thread occupies more than 16k in the SC server! :mrgreen:
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

Death chase is the obvious one, but seeing that list really hits home that they produced some of the best games of the very early years of the Spectrum.

I experienced most of the games through numerous Beau Jolly compilations, but Codename Matt was a great “interpretation” of Star Raiders, Full Throttle was a fun, and realistic at the time, racing game and who didn’t want to spend A Day In the Life of Clive Sinclair? No wonder he had to sell out to Amstrad if that’s what his life was like!
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

While Deathchase will probably walk it, which game will finish second is too close to call. Codename MATT, Jasper, A Day In A Life and Haunted Hedges are all deserving runners up.