Clones that are not

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
spider
Dynamite Dan

Clones that are not

Post by spider »

Well maybe.

Take a look (or play) at Roller Coaster then take a closer look at Tarantula

Charset / scrolly type message / general game "feel" and sounds are the same ? Both share the same 'static area' at the bottom of the screen too although the content is a bit different. Control keys the same too.

Take a look at Incredible Shrinking Fireman then at Finders Keepers perhaps. Although not really a clone it does seem to share the same or very similar charset and sound effects at least. The movement 'feels' quite similar too.

Thoughts ? :)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Re: Clones that are not

Post by Alessandro »

Both cases have been discussed here and here - you know it ;)

I also think that Tarantula was a deliberate code rip-off of Roller Coaster - text and (unused) graphics from the latter found into the former are a strong enough proof in my opinion.

As for the two Mastertronic games, as others argued, they were probably made in the same time period and the authors shared some ideas and bits of code - notice how Fireman is much closer to Spellbound actually. In a strange twist of fate, there was actually a rip-off of Spellbound (please note that the link to the Your Sinclair review points to an entirely different game) by the infamous Harry Price. The guy had even the gall to make not one but two rip-offs of two games, Icicle Works and Project Future namely, and for one of his titles based on the latter, he even ripped off graphics from Sabre Wulf!
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Ah yes well aware of those topics obviously I was going to bump them but thought I'd try a 'combi' topic here instead. :)

Aware of the 'Crimebusters' thing. :) I must confess I've never played it properly though other than loading it and looking at the first couple of rooms. Perhaps I should.

Was -not- aware of the other Crimebusters game though. The erm 'non spellbound' version. Talking of which when I brought the Soft-Aid tape that had Spellbound on it, although the Beyond 'leap down' game. I forget the arcade version's name of this or similar but its not relevant here I suppose.

Regarding I.S.F although I did buy it BITD I never really put 2+2 together with it being related to F.K (or possibly) , ocme to think of it I'm not sure when I first saw F.K, it was after Spellbound that's for sure as I remember brother bringing the latter around for me to see as he'd hired it out from (his local) video shop. That was also the first time I saw Frankenstein too and Pyramid as well as a few other titles. No did not copy them, I did not have the means to for one thing!

I did enjoy Project Future when I first saw it, if memory serves it was on an erm 'compilation C90' a friend lent me. It looks quite dated now but I do recall it being enjoyable BITD for a while. Mind you I liked Xadom and 20 Tons a lot too ( ! ) :)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Alessandro wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:39 pm there was actually a rip-off of Spellbound (please note that the link to the Your Sinclair review points to an entirely different game)
It will be fixed in the next ZXDB update. Thanks for pointing it out!