The A-Z of the best Speccy games (modern: post-1993)

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: The A-Z of the best Speccy games (modern: post-1993)

Post by Ralf »

And here's the full list:
Uff, that was tiring, almost felt like real office work, making this list, inserting all these titles and links ;)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I won't argue with Janosik if you promise to do a new version with a flamboyant Rastanesque swish of the axe :-p
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Ralf wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:23 pm And here's the full list:
Uff, that was tiring, almost felt like real office work, making this list, inserting all these titles and links ;)
Er, not all that full, you've missed the last 'letter'!

But thanks for sorting that.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Upsss, sorry.
Again it's limited choice here with no obvious winner. So after some search it would be a Russian Dizzy-like game: 48 Irons
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=12735

A Alter Ego
B Buzzsaw+ by Jason J Railton
C Castlevania: Spectral Interlude by Rewind Team
D Doom
E EFMB
F Fire 'N Ice by n-Discovery
G Gravibots - Denis Grachev
H Hobbit 128 by Melbourne House/Community
I Invasion of the Zombie Monsters
J Janosik
K Karlos und Schatze der Azteken
L Los Amores de Brunilda
M Metal Man by Oleg Origin
N Nelo & Quqo and the Last Butifarreisson
O Operation Red Refrigerator
P Prince Of Persia by Magic Soft [2]
Q Quadrax
R Rough Justice
S Sword of Ianna by RetroWorks
T That sinking feeling
U UFO 2: Devils of Abbyss
V Vallation by Tardis Remakes
W Wanderers. Chained in the dark
X X=Y=Z by Bob's Stuff
Y Yumiko in the Haunted Mansion
Z ZX Football Manager 2005
# 48 Irons

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]list:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

[mention]PeteProdge[/mention] was going to do a poll per letter for both classic and new releases. Shall we only do that for classic releases (less work for Pete), and continue the new games as a discussion?

Having said that, I don't know how we would change the letters without a poll, but I'll make these alternative suggestions anyway:

O - On reflection. The only text adventure here. Lee Tonks gives a bit of detail in the instructions and it shows that it was a labour of love and an attempt to do something original.

T - Tales of Grupp. That sinking feeling is good, but I don't think it's best of the lot.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Somehow I totally missed the release of "On reflecion". And all text games seem to be the same until you start playing them more deeply and feel the difference in story and narration ;)

Sure, change it if you feel that it's good and deserves it.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I'll see if anyone else concurs first.

There are a couple of text adventures by Colin Woodcock that are at least as impressive, but they have letters that can't be argued with.

Blink and Floarea Soarelui. Inspired writing, especially as you have so little space to work with, and very different from your run of the mill fantasy or space adventure. The downside is that, after looking at the solution to one of them, I can't imagine ever being able to complete a text adventure unless I took 6 weeks off work to concentrate on it.

Aha - if we translate Floarea Soarelui from Romanian to our lingua franca we get Sunflower. Anyone object if I bump Sword of IANNA for this?
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Ralf wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:12 pm J
Well not much choice. Shame on me as I'll propose my own game :oops: but I honestly believe it's pretty decent. So it would be Janosik.
Or Jaws :)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:18 pm @PeteProdge was going to do a poll per letter for both classic and new releases. Shall we only do that for classic releases (less work for Pete), and continue the new games as a discussion?
I think so, yeah.

To conclude: On Monday, I'll be asking everyone for their favourite classic Speccy game-beginning-with-A for about seven days. Then we do a poll the following Monday...
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I'm loving 'Karlos und Schatze der Azteken' by the way. Its brilliant!
Swainy
Manic Miner

Post by Swainy »

I think that Sunbucket should be added. I reviewed it in the Crash Annual and really enjoyed it.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Swainy wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:21 am I think that Sunbucket should be added. I reviewed it in the Crash Annual and really enjoyed it.
El Stompo Smash and Sunbucket reviewed?

I was going to buy a copy anyway! EDIT - not yet I'm not, it's sold out

The only thing I can see bumping Sword of IANNA is whatever Retroworks are planning to release next.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I know a lot would take issue with this but I think More Tea Vicar edges Metal Man. Controversial.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I know a lot would take issue with this but I think More Tea Vicar edges Metal Man. Controversial.
No way for me. I know that many of you give extra points to a game for being British and that many people like Jonathan Cauldwell but that would be very dishonest.

More Tea Vicar is good but not brilliant. It is a bit slow, has an absurd name, small sprites, is very similar to some games from the 80s and inferior to Zynaps so it's not groundbreaking in any way.

Metal Man is something never seen before - extremely colourful, yet reducing clash, huge, with lots of feature with gameplay typical for 16 bits computers, not 8 bits.

That's just my opinion anyway ;)
Hikaru
Microbot

Post by Hikaru »

T is for Twilight: The Land of Shadows. I'm amazed I even have to spell it out!

Star Heritage was massive in our time, but now I love the Sword of Ianna just as much. :) And yes I don't think it ever got the translation it deserves.
Inactive account
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Hikaru wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:14 am T is for Twilight: The Land of Shadows. I'm amazed I even have to spell it out!
Holy cow of Moscow! :o
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ralf wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:48 pm
No way for me. I know that many of you give extra points to a game for being British and that many people like Jonathan Cauldwell but that would be very dishonest.

More Tea Vicar is good but not brilliant. It is a bit slow, has an absurd name, small sprites, is very similar to some games from the 80s and inferior to Zynaps so it's not groundbreaking in any way.

Metal Man is something never seen before - extremely colourful, yet reducing clash, huge, with lots of feature with gameplay typical for 16 bits computers, not 8 bits.

That's just my opinion anyway ;)
Fair enough, I will have to agree Metal Man is more impressive than MTV. I enjoy MTV more (eye/ear candy, first 3 levels well designed), hopefully not because it's British/Jonathan's but I think that will be plus points for some. Brilliant but not legendary.

You're wrong about two things though - the absurd name is a good thing and it's not 'a bit slow', it's just plain 'slow'!
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

Didn’t like either.
Blerkotron
Dizzy

Post by Blerkotron »

I agree - Metal Man is better than More Tea, Vicar. But I liked Magic Tokens, Magical Tower Adventure and Majikazo more than both of them. And my favourite M is Maritrini - Freelance Monster Slayer. :)

While we're being argumentative (I jest, don't panic!), Doom wouldn't even be in the running for my choice for 'D'. What about Descending Dungeons, or Dingo, or Dogmole Tuppowski - The New Adventures, or Dreamwalker? Doom's very impressive but basically just a tech demo rather than a game. :)

Some lovely choices elsewhere - a few of those I don't think I've ever played, I'll have to check them out.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Blerkotron wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:44 pm I agree - Metal Man is better than More Tea, Vicar. But I liked Magic Tokens, Magical Tower Adventure and Majikazo more than both of them. And my favourite M is Maritrini - Freelance Monster Slayer. :)

While we're being argumentative (I jest, don't panic!), Doom wouldn't even be in the running for my choice for 'D'. What about Descending Dungeons, or Dingo, or Dogmole Tuppowski - The New Adventures, or Dreamwalker? Doom's very impressive but basically just a tech demo rather than a game. :)

Some lovely choices elsewhere - a few of those I don't think I've ever played, I'll have to check them out.
Good calls. I could do an updated list with several choices per letter.

Dreamwalker would be a contender for me, but I think Alter Ego plays the same game and looks better - the bicolour graphics spoil the atmosphere a bit IMO. Denis's Tourmaline could be a 'T' contender.
Blerkotron
Dizzy

Post by Blerkotron »

Indeed, it's a great idea - the 'modern' Speccy games really don't get the attention they deserve and it'd be nice to have a list of the very best of the best to help newcomers get started. If they actually read it instead of saying "hey, who remembers Manic Miner?!" for the 438th time. ;)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Okay, it's getting close to 'name some games beginning with a letter', but I think this is a good A - Z of standout releases from after the commercial era (or a good place to start).

A Alter Ego, Abbye des Morts, Albatrossity,
B Buzzsaw+, Bouncing Bomb Redux, Blink, Balachor Returns,
C Castlevania: Spectral Interlude, Circuitry, Catcombs of Balachor, Cronopios y Famas, Crimbo, ComplicaDX
D Doom, Dreamwalker, Dingo, Deep Core Raider,
E EFMB, El Stompo, Egghead 4,
F Fire 'N Ice, Floarea Soarelui,
G Gravibots, Genesis: Dawn of a new day,
H Hobbit 128 (Melbourne/Community),
I Invasion of the Zombie Monsters,
J Janosik, Jaws,
K Karlos und Schatze der Azteken, King's Valley,
L Los Amores de Brunilda,
M Metal Man, Majikazo, M is Maritrini - Freelance Monster Slayer, More tea vicar,
N Nelo & Quqo and the Last Butifarreisson, Ninjajar,
O On reflection, Operation Red Refrigerator,
P Prince Of Persia, Phaeton,
Q Quadrax, Quantum Gardening,
R Rough Justice,
S Sword of Ianna, Star Heritage, Slubberdegullion, Sunbucket,
T That sinking feeling, Tales of Grupp, Tourmaline, Twilight: Land of the shadows,
U UFO 2: Devils of Abbyss, Utter Tripe, Uroboros,
V Vallation, Vade Retro(JBGV),
W Wanderers. Chained in the dark, WHB,
X X=Y=Z,
Y Yumiko in the Haunted Mansion,
Z ZX Football Manager 2005, Zukinox, Zombi Terror,
# 48 Irons,

NB - I didn't suggest my own games!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Hooray..! I was considering releasing a game starting with a $ symbol...
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Not Jaws? I demand a recount!!!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Added!