Just got Spectrum +3

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
retro_collector
Drutt

Just got Spectrum +3

Post by retro_collector »

Hi everyone!

I just got a Spectrum +3 and of course they told me the disk drive was working, but when I do a CAT, or FORMAT "A:" I get DRIVE NOT READY. I have tried 10 different disks!

Any ideas what to do next?

THanks

Bill
spider
Dynamite Dan

Re: Just got Spectrum +3

Post by spider »

Welcome! :)

Does the drive activity LED light up and can you hear the drive motor spinning ? They are not mega quiet so you should be able to hear 'something'

There is a refurb guide here > https://www.dataserve-retro.co.uk/conte ... k/d92.html , there are others iirc however for the moment we'd need to know if there are signs of life from the drive itself. :)
retro_collector
Drutt

Andy,

The drive LED is always lit. When I access the drive I hear the motor spin but the RED LED never gets bright RED

THanks

Bill
retro_collector
Drutt

Well I guess I should never believe what the seller says. The drive doesn't work cause the drive belt is in pieces. So I will clean the drive and order a new belt.

I will let you know what happens.

Now I can test my Gotek drive and see how that works

Cheers!

Bill
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Sorry to hear that.

There are "refurb kits" for these at a couple of places if you prefer that method oopsed to buying a belt itself on its own. Just looked at one for £5.85 + p/p so not mega-bucks. The 'kit' appears to contain a bottle of iso or similar fluid, a new belt and a selection of long reach cotton buds + instructions.

Depends on what you have available already I guess. :) Sure it will be fine regardless.
retro_collector
Drutt

Andy,

Yup that's the kit I found only I am still waiting for an invoice cause they don't list shipping to USA.

I have cleaned the capstain and fully. Now I need the alcohol and cotton buds to make the cleaning complete. Then when I get the belt I can test.

I just ordered on eBay an external cable so I can use the disk drive internally and the Gotek externally so I will have a drive A and B :)

Thanks for the help!

Bill
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

You're welcome. Sorry I can't really 'help' more.

I would say perhaps put your location into your profile as you're 'across the pond' (from me at least) so to speak. I was not aware of your location! :D , then again that kit was the most sensible one I think. Can't see a huge problem in sending it to the US though, postals should not be too much with a bit of care/thought.

Somewhere I do have a spare 3" drive unit although another poster is/was after it.
retro_collector
Drutt

Well I cleaned the old belt off the pulley and capstan and in the drive. I lubed the worm drive and cleaned the heads, and installed a brand new belt. Now the drive works as a treat and you cant even hear it read or write!

I was able to format, read and write my floppies!

So I would say mission accomplished!

Thanks everyone!

Bill
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Great stuff! :)

Thanks for posting back saying that all was OK too, always nice to know the outcome. :D

Enjoy!