The best Speccy game by Mikro-Gen: discussion

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

The best Speccy game by Mikro-Gen: discussion

Post by PeteProdge »

Phew. Just finished writing out what I think is a list of every existing Mikro-Gen game for the ZX Spectrum.

These guys were quick off the starting block, releasing some decent titles in 1982. Quite a few were knock-offs of arcade hits of the day. There's also a smattering of text adventures, as well as the highly acclaimed Wally series. They also put out the odd utility/application, but we concentrate on their games here.

This is the list I've come up with...

Air Traffic Control
Automania
Battle Of The Planets
Cop-Out
Cosmic Raiders
Creepy Crawler
Cruise Attack
Defendar
Drakmaze
Equinox
Everyone's A Wally
Frost Byte
Galakzions
Genesis II
Great Britain Ltd
Herbert's Dummy run
Inheritance
Knockout
Land Of Sagan
Laserwarp
Mad Martha
Mad Martha II
Masterchess
Naanas
One Hundred And Eighty!
Panic
Paradroids
Pat The Postman
Pyjamarama
S.A.S. Assault
Scramble
Shadow Of The Unicorn
Sorcerer's Castle
Space Zombies
Stainless Steel
Star Trek
Starship
Strike Force SAS
Tai Pan
Tempest
Three Weeks In Paradise
Timequest
Witch's Cauldron, The

Don't expect me to start the list this time next week as I usually would, because I'm over in Blackpool at the Play Expo event, playing on arcade cabinets/consoles/computers and all that, as well as doing some filming for my Reheated Pixels YouTube channel.

We'll get the poll going on Sunday 20th Oct. Raise any objections and corrections here...
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: The best Speccy game by Mikro-Gen: discussion

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

For me, the first good game of them was Automania, before it there were many mediocre or not-so-good arcade conversions.
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

PeteProdge wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:10 am This is the list I've come up with...
For some reason these alphabetical lists just do not work for me. A chronological list on the other hand...

• Strike Force SAS
  • Battle Of The Planets
  • Cop-Out
  • Equinox
  • Frost Byte
  • Stainless Steel
  • Three Weeks In Paradise
  • Everyone's A Wally
  • Herbert's Dummy run
  • Shadow Of The Unicorn
  • Witch's Cauldron, The
  • Air Traffic Control
  • Automania
  • Defendar
  • Genesis II
  • Paradroids
  • Pyjamarama
  • Starship
  • Tai Pan
Anything before 1984... no thanks, 1984 is dodgy enough as it it - if it weren't for Pyjamarama I would have skipped 1984 too.

Inheritance was republished by Mikro-Gen.
Last edited by Stefan on Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Oh I can see this being a close run / contended thing when its Poll time for sure. 8-) 8-)

I'm much torn between several titles here, I'm not going to name them yet though sorry! :D
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Drakmaze wasn't released: http://www.tzxvault.org/time.htm
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Hmm. Gonna be a tough one for me as I lived both Automania and Three Weeks.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
mr.spiv
Drutt

Post by mr.spiv »

Pyjamarama for me.. It was actually the first GOOD game I bought and I played the heck out of it :roll: Didn't really like/buy any Mikro-Gen games after it (i.e. I bought every game I actually ended up playing).
..More black tea..
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Stefan wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:11 pm
PeteProdge wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:10 am This is the list I've come up with...
For some reason these alphabetical lists just do not work for me. A chronological list on the other hand...
Well, it's already time consuming for me to put them together. I've literally put in hours of work just to come up with the Mastertronic shortlists today (as well as what was planned to be a concise history of the company). I see your point, but I can't commit to splitting it down by the years.
Stefan wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:11 pmInheritance was republished by Mikro-Gen.
Ah, you are indeed correct!

Okay, I'll make a mental reminder to exclude it from the poll.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

StooB wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:13 pm Drakmaze wasn't released: http://www.tzxvault.org/time.htm
Wow, I never knew this! Normally I spot these things, looking out for any 'MIA' status, but in this case, it does actually exist to download. I had no idea of this back story, and as you absolutely right, this will be excluded from the poll. Thank you.
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

I expect I'll be the only one to vote for Space Zombies. Not especially good graphics, just nice movement patterns and very playable
Definition of loop : see loop