Little bugs in the database 2

This is the place to request ZXDB corrections (add missing data or fix incorrect information)

Moderators: druellan, pavero

Stefan
Manic Miner

Re: Little bugs in the database 2

Post by Stefan »

J. Eyre should be John Eyre.
✓ Reviewed
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

StooB wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:40 pm Conclusion: JPW (Spain) is Julian Wood (UK)!
Solved this one just changing JPW (Spain, Person) to JPW (UK, Nickname) and adding Julian Wood as the owner of the nickname, since we are not sure why those games are credited to JPW on the first place.

Also found some games credited to Julian R.E. Wood (signed Julian Wood ingame) -> https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... el_id=7723
[mention]StooB[/mention] what do you think? I'm pretty sure it is the same author.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

druellan wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:32 am
StooB wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:40 pm Conclusion: JPW (Spain) is Julian Wood (UK)!
Solved this one just changing JPW (Spain, Person) to JPW (UK, Nickname) and adding Julian Wood as the owner of the nickname, since we are not sure why those games are credited to JPW on the first place.

Also found some games credited to Julian R.E. Wood (signed Julian Wood ingame) -> https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... el_id=7723
@StooB what do you think? I'm pretty sure it is the same author.
Well, they do have a similar graphic style - Julian RE Wood:
ImageImage

Julian P Wood:
ImageImage

This isn't conclusive though:

1. Julian RE Wood is from Norfolk (here, here), but by 1986 he's at Northampton Hall, London which was Hall of Residence for Northampton Polytechnic. But Dominic and Julian P Wood are both from London and went to school in Epsom where Micromania was also based. It's unlikely Julian P Wood would have lived in halls when he could get to the polytechnic by tube.

2. On Julian RE Wood's website, http://www.silvawood.co.uk/links.htm, there's a link to the Julian RE Wood page on World of Spectrum and he has also given them permission to host his titles. It seems odd that somebody interested enough in WoS to have linked to it from a completely unrelated website didn't point out their involvement with Micromania, Silverbird and Probe titles when they gave that permission. Unfortunately, that permission can no longer be viewed on WoS.

3. Julian P Wood's only middle name is Philip.

I think it's possible they are the same person, but probably not!
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Great! Thanks StooB. This is a pretty curious case indeed, and another thing to point out is that all this games are type-in, so, is not weird to think that perhaps some "inspiration" was going on, and a wink regarding the similar names.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

druellan wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:32 am since we are not sure why those games are credited to JPW on the first place.
I'm blind, is literally the loading screen:

StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Trivial Pursuit

More covers have gone awol.

1. TrivialPursuit_Front.jpg:

This was released in 1987 because the Spectrum +2 datacorder couldn't cope with the Uniload question tapes. It's not a sticker on the inlay, it's printed like that.

There's a hi-res scan in Mort's uploads on the Internet Archive in the folder "TrivialPursuitv2-Domark".

2. TrivialPursuit_3.jpg:

This one is the original "big box" release, currently available from CornishDavey on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZX-Sinclair- ... 3925710607

✓ Reviewed
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

StooB wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:13 pm Trivial Pursuit

More covers have gone awol.

1. TrivialPursuit_Front.jpg:

This was released in 1987 because the Spectrum +2 datacorder couldn't cope with the Uniload question tapes. It's not a sticker on the inlay, it's printed like that.

There's a hi-res scan in Mort's uploads on the Internet Archive in the folder "TrivialPursuitv2-Domark".
OK, I will add it in the next SC update.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Does anybody know if CCS and C.C.S. are the same company?
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Einar Saukas wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:54 pm Does anybody know if CCS and C.C.S. are the same company?
Yes, they are both Cases Computer Simulations.
http://www.fruitcake.plus.com/Sinclair/ ... ations.htm
as referred to on the inlay scan for Farmer...
http://www.fruitcake.plus.com/Sinclair/ ... _Inlay.jpg
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Thanks!
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Drakmaze was never released. Source: The Games That Time Forgot

✓ Reviewed
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Planet 10

- was never released. Details in this post.
✓ reviewed
moroz1999
Manic Miner

Post by moroz1999 »

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... el_id=5443 - Gopov Vitaly is really Vitaliy Zverev from Chelyabinsk, Russia. Other aliases: Pastor, Manse.

✓ reviewed
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Haven't been reporting any errors as there is such a backlog already. However, these ones did jump out at me when I was using the site the other day...

The disk file listed as the +3 'Pegasus' release of the Hermitage....
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=6429

...is not the original Pegasus +3 release, but the much later, altered FSF Adventures re-release. The date is incorrect for that re-release, by the way, I will see if I can find the correct one in my archives.

(So the original Pegasus +3 release is missing from the archive)

Desmond & Gertrude and Aunt Velma is Coming to Tea
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=15446

was NOT re-released by The Guild. (Not for Spectrum) That reference should be deleted.

✓ Reviewed
moroz1999
Manic Miner

Post by moroz1999 »

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... l_id=11944
RSM Soft (Russia) seems to be a person, not a company. It's also from Ukraine, Chernigov.

✓ reviewed
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=35092

Please can you amend the Authors/Contributors section to define my role as Author and add in Einar Saukas as Contributor.
Also, when the game is launched via the qaop online emulator it attempts to run it in 128K mode which is not appropriate given that it's a 16K game. Since by design the game does not auto launch, the 128K Tape Loader starts after loading if a key is pressed (confusing to the uninitiated), whereas on the 48K it would show the listing as intended. qaop needs the parameter "~128" rather than "128".

The second screenshot is titled "running screen" but really it should be "program listing", similar to the way one liners are showcased at Digital Prawn's One Liners Page.

Thanks

✓ reviewed
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

patters wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:41 pm Also, when the game is launched via the qaop online emulator it attempts to run it in 128K mode which is not appropriate given that it's a 16K game. Since by design the game does not auto launch, the 128K Tape Loader starts after loading if a key is pressed (confusing to the uninitiated), whereas on the 48K it would show the listing as intended. qaop needs the parameter "~128" rather than "128".
Just flagging this for [mention]PeterJ[/mention] and [mention]4thRock[/mention] as it's website code related. Is this doable guys?

✓ reviewed
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:09 am
patters wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:41 pm Also, when the game is launched via the qaop online emulator it attempts to run it in 128K mode which is not appropriate given that it's a 16K game. Since by design the game does not auto launch, the 128K Tape Loader starts after loading if a key is pressed (confusing to the uninitiated), whereas on the 48K it would show the listing as intended. qaop needs the parameter "~128" rather than "128".
Just flagging this for @PeterJ and @4thRock as it's website code related. Is this doable guys?
Fixed!
✓ reviewed
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

8BitAG wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:13 am Desmond & Gertrude and Aunt Velma is Coming to Tea

was NOT re-released by The Guild. (Not for Spectrum) That reference should be deleted.
There's a file called "DesmondAndGertrude+AuntVelmaIsComingToTea(TheGuild).tzx.zip", that came from WoS.

Does it belong to the original release? If so, is it identical to v1, or v2, or is it a different version?
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Einar Saukas wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:57 pm
8BitAG wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:13 am Desmond & Gertrude and Aunt Velma is Coming to Tea
There's a file called "DesmondAndGertrude+AuntVelmaIsComingToTea(TheGuild).tzx.zip", that came from WoS.
Does it belong to the original release? If so, is it identical to v1, or v2, or is it a different version?
All three look pretty identical to me... I guess I could do a database comparison and see if there are any minute changes between them... perhaps there may have been a few spelling mistakes corrected. Although I doubt that. :) The difference between the two DTHS releases would actually be the inlays rather than the tape contents, irrc.

If the third file does stay then it needs to drop "The Guild" label and "The Guild" re-release tag needs to be removed for the page. They didn't re-release any DTHS for Spectrum. Especially not in 1991. We were still selling them ourselves!
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

8BitAG wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:26 pm They didn't re-release any DTHS for Spectrum. Especially not in 1991. We were still selling them ourselves!
Is it possible that "The Guild" re-released it much later (just the date is wrong)?
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Einar Saukas wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:54 pm Is it possible that "The Guild" re-released it much later (just the date is wrong)?
No, they did not release the Spectrum version. Somebody has just got confused with the Commodore version.
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

pavero wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:26 pm
R-Tape wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:09 am Just flagging this for @PeterJ and @4thRock as it's website code related. Is this doable guys?
Fixed!
✓ reviewed
It looks like the site is using "48" as a parameter on the URL for the qaop emulator but this has no effect, it's still launching in 128K mode. The correct parameter for 48K mode is not "48", it's "~128" according to the help (somewhat unintuitively).

✓ Reviewed
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks [mention]patters[/mention]

I will take a look. Peter
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I get 48K on PC, 128K on mobile.