The best Speccy game by Bulldog Software: vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

The best Speccy game by Bulldog Software

Poll ended at Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:11 am

Colony
14%
Destructo
No votes
Feud
55%
Galletron
No votes
Invasion
No votes
Jackle & Wide
5%
Rigel's Revenge
No votes
Scumball
9%
Shard Of Inovar
No votes
Spore
5%
Streaker
9%
Wolfan
5%

Total votes: 22

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

The best Speccy game by Bulldog Software: vote

Post by PeteProdge »

Okay, the time it takes to put these polls together on a Sunday morning usually means I restrict them to just three at a time.

I'm slowly going through the eight Mastertronic brands, alphabetically. We've had the discussion on that, so next week I'm gonna fire through the next three brands, which means going through Entertainment USA, Mastertronic itself and the Mastertronic Added Dimension (aka M.A.D).

Anyway, this is for the 12 ZX Spectrum games published under the short-lived Brit-themed Bulldog Software budget label, controlled by Mastertronic...

Colony
ImageImage

Destructo
ImageImage

Feud
ImageImage

Galletron
ImageImage

Invasion
ImageImage

Jackle & Wide
ImageImage

Rigel's Revenge
ImageImage

Scumball
ImageImage

Shard Of Inovar
ImageImage

Spore
ImageImage

Streaker
ImageImage

Wolfan
ImageImage
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Re: The best Speccy game by Bulldog Software: vote

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Feud will win this hands down.
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Post by Hank Scorpio »

1. Streaker
2. Feud
3. Destructo
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Hank Scorpio wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:14 pm 1. Streaker
2. Feud
3. Destructo
Streaker also has (see Mikro Gen poll) a loading screen/theme that would be 'problematic' nowadays.. Pete - theres an idea for a poll when you inevitably run out of letters.. "most unlikely Speccy games to get the green light in 2019". I should add that this stuff doesn't bother me, it's only a comment on how times have changed..!
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:12 pm Feud will win this hands down.
I hope so, it's one of my all time favourite games.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:26 pm Streaker also has (see Mikro Gen poll) a loading screen/theme that would be 'problematic' nowadays.. Pete - theres an idea for a poll when you inevitably run out of letters.. "most unlikely Speccy games to get the green light in 2019". I should add that this stuff doesn't bother me, it's only a comment on how times have changed..!
Heh, I do like the 'underside' of retrogaming. Two weeks ago, while drinking on a Saturday afternoon, I told friends about a notorious ZX Spectrum game, one that's, shall we say, a CAFE where PARADISE occurs? Anyway, one of the guys has a laptop he's doing work on, so he breaks off that, installs Fuse and we load up the game - which I've never played before but have heard of its rather adult nature - and wow. We got a lot of dropped jaws and a lot of laughs out of it.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

PeteProdge wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:01 pm We got a lot of dropped jaws and a lot of laughs out of it.
Will fire it up and give it a go later!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

1 - Feud
2 - Destructo
3 - Wolfan (I'm a huge fan of Isometric adventures!)
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

I can only vote for Scumball as that’s the only game I played out of this list :oops:
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Colony. That was a fun, under-rated resource management game.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

You've got the wrong screenshot for Spore! It wasn't a text adventure, but a rather spiffy shoot em up. Well, on the C64 it was. It was a bit rubbish on the Spectrum.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=4777
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

toot_toot wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:52 pm You've got the wrong screenshot for Spore! It wasn't a text adventure, but a rather spiffy shoot em up. Well, on the C64 it was. It was a bit rubbish on the Spectrum.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=4777
Gah, you're right! I hate it when there are more than one game that has the same name.

Anyways, this is what Bulldog's Spore looks like...

(No loading screen.)
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

1. Streaker
2. Feud
3. Scumball

As good as Feud is, you do tend to spend a lot of the time wandering around in circles, a bit like Robin O' The Wood in that respect.
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

stupidget wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:42 pm I can only vote for Scumball as that’s the only game I played out of this list :oops:
Ditto. Sorry to say, i hated Feud.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

As is completely right, Feud wins this poll, with a landslide victory - 12 votes. It truly is an fantastic and underrated game. Everything else in the forum poll is far behind, but hey, moving on...

Second place with 3 votes is Colony. (Press BREAK on the menu screen to turn your ZX Spectrum into a terrible computer, btw.)

In joint third place, Scumball and Streaker (the former has some wonderful 50fps movement), each with 2 votes.

Joint fourth place with 1 vote each: Jackle & Wide; Spore and Wolfan.

Proportional top-three system brings up slightly different results...

Feud 7
Streaker 6
Destructo 3
Scumball 1
Wolfan 1
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

I missed this one but would have voted for Colony.

Feud always felt a bit 'style over substance' to me. One of the emptiest games ever.
Dark
Dizzy

Post by Dark »

Fued and Jackle & Wide were the only two games I owned from Bulldog software. Have to confess that I have no recollection of Jackle & Wide. Played Fued quite a lot but never got anywhere with it. Have been surprised to read in the last couple of years that it was apparently a really easy game! As a kid I just couldn't fathom it at all.
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

I owned Destructo which had very little depth and Jackle & Wide which didn't hold my attention at all.
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

Feud is a legend. Colony is fun... but after a while it does seem a bit pointless. Invasion is VERY slow. Jackle and Wide irritated me, so I've been trying to get people to stream it. Wolfan! I once got moderately far with it. GIVE ME LAGER OR GIVE ME DEATH. It was fun!

Bulldog was a good brand.

Never got very far at all with Shard of Inovar, but it was clearly trying, bless it.
I have a little YouTube channel of nonsense
https://www.youtube.com/c/JamesOGradyWhatHoSnorkers