[VIDEO]Hungry Horace Comparison

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Morcar
Microbot

[VIDEO]Hungry Horace Comparison

Post by Morcar »

Lets review and compare Hungry Horace on the ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64

Which one do you rather?

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omeYGwKom3g[/media]
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: [VIDEO]Hungry Horace Comparison

Post by R-Tape »

Eek. I think I have to agree. I'm only going by the video, but the C64 seems to win on every count except colour—it's been on a boil wash by the looks of it.

A 48K Speccy version could be that smooth and fast, and the sound could be improved on, even though the beeper won't match the SID. It was early days though I guess.
Morcar
Microbot

Post by Morcar »

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. To do anything in 16k is just amazing anyway.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I have never known that there were Horace games on C64 :shock: Yes, it could be easily checked but for me he was so much
pure Spectrum character that I even didn't bother to check.

And I must agree with uncomfortable truth too ;) C64 version is smoother and better at sound. On Spectrum it actually moves by 8 pixels and seems even to flicker a bit.

But it has these washed out colours typical for C64. It also seems to lack a loading screen. So hell, Speccy beats C64 in graphics here ;)

It's a win 2:1 for C64 anyway.
Morcar
Microbot

Post by Morcar »

Ralf wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:24 pm I have never known that there were Horace games on C64 :shock: Yes, it could be easily checked but for me he was so much
pure Spectrum character that I even didn't bother to check.

And I must agree with uncomfortable truth too ;) C64 version is smoother and better at sound. On Spectrum it actually moves by 8 pixels and seems even to flicker a bit.

But it has these washed out colours typical for C64. It also seems to lack a loading screen. So hell, Speccy beats C64 in graphics here ;)

It's a win 2:1 for C64 anyway.
Thanks for watching :D
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ralf wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:24 pm I have never known that there were Horace games on C64 :shock:
This was news to me too.

Looks like HH was only Speccy, Timex and C64. Which is a shame because quite often in these cases, when the C64 version is better, we can console ourselves with a terrible Amstrad version*!

(*usually because the poor coder was expected to port directly from the Speccy code, and had about 2 days to do it in.)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Firstly, nice video!

Second, the smoother C64 movement breaks the draw, IMO.