The Spectrum Show 68 Now Live

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
PaulJ
Microbot

The Spectrum Show 68 Now Live

Post by PaulJ »

I play with a recreated ZX Spectrum and Geoff and I chat about the Spectrum Next.
Plus the usual game reviews and stuff. Enjoy :-)
[youtube]https://youtu.be/RATi6jds0Qk[/youtube]
Paul Jenkinson | The Spectrum Show & other stuff!
dfzx
Manic Miner

Re: The Spectrum Show 68 Now Live

Post by dfzx »

Good review of the RZXS, but it's a pity he focuses solely on compatibility of games. He doesn't even mention how it works (and feels) for typing in BASIC programs or assembly language. The retro experience is more than just games, IMHO.

Not that I want to knock The Spectrum Show. It's always great to watch. :)
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
PaulJ
Microbot

Post by PaulJ »

Thanks for watching.
I do mention it works and feels like the real Speccy apart from the use of Symbol Shift and Caps Shift (demonstrated via Invaders) in emulators, and how to get around this using Fuse. :D
Paul Jenkinson | The Spectrum Show & other stuff!
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

Yeah, I know. :)

I think the difference is that, unlike yourself and many others, I don't own a real Spectrum, and hadn't typed on a rubber keyboard for over 30 years. The first thing I did with the RZXS keyboard was type "BEEP 1,0", and the way the muscle memory from my teens kicked in to make my thumbs hit the two shift keys to get extended mode almost brought a tear to my eye. Your review didn't pick up that level of nostalgia, but that's because as a regular Speccy owner you didn't feel it.
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]PaulJ[/mention] Thanks for including a review of the Recreated ZX Spectrum. Mine has sat on the office shelf since I purchased it some time back from Game. I'm now unpacking it, so thanks!
Swainy
Manic Miner

Post by Swainy »

Another great episode, well done Paul!
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

A great episode. Very informative about the Elite keyboard and ups/downs surrounding it.