ZX-Modules.de has seized to exist.

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

ZX-Modules.de has seized to exist.

Post by XoRRoX »

Hi,

I just noticed ZX-Modules, the site of Claus Jahn has seized to exist. While researching the disappearance, I read that it was actually planned.

The site with its numerous useful utilities and its extensive documentation about Spectrum file formats was very valuable to the Spectrum community.

I looked at the Wayback Machine and managed to download the content that is stored there. A few pages and downloads of most tools are not working there.
In my downloaded copy, I restored most utilities' setup files and their download links.

Would it be possible to somehow put the site somewhere on the SpectrumComputing site and preserve it like that?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: ZX-Modules.de has seized to exist.

Post by R-Tape »

XoRRoX wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:07 am Hi,

I just noticed ZX-Modules, the site of Claus Jahn has seized to exist. While researching the disappearance, I read that it was actually planned.
Hells bells this is news to me. My first feeling was relief because I had to download the packages I needed onto a new laptop recently, but then worry, because as you say this stuff really can't be lost.

It's not for me to decide, but the files aren't huge, so I hope they can be preserved here, and they should have a ZXDB ID really. Is anyone in touch with Klaus?
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

I hold in my archive the latest original (i.e. not reconstructed) installation executables of the following applications by Claus:
- ZX-Assembler
- ZX-Blockeditor
- ZX-Editor second edition
- ZX-Explorer with knowledge base
- ZX-Favourites
- ZX-Modules Central with 0.9.5 updater
- ZX-Paintbrush
- ZX-Preview

If anyone wants them for archiving purposes, contact me.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

In the copy of the site, I've got the following programs & versions:

- ZX-Assembler 0.8
- ZX-Blockeditor 2.4.3
- ZX-Editor Second Edition 2.3.1
- ZX-Explorer 2.0.0.1
- ZX-Paintbrush 2.6.4
- ZX-Preview 2.3
- Image2ULAplus 1.3

Alessandro, do you have the same versions of the above? If you have more recent ones, could you please send them to me?
Could you please send me:
- ZX-Modules Central with 0.9.5 updater
- ZX-Favorites

Then I'll add them to the site copy.

Does anyone else have:
- FZX Editor
- IZX Editor
- ZX-Rainbow
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

I forgot to add FZX editor and Image2ULAPlus to the above list.

[mention]XoRRoX[/mention] I am sending you a PM.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:21 am It's not for me to decide, but the files aren't huge, so I hope they can be preserved here, and they should have a ZXDB ID really. Is anyone in touch with Klaus?
The current copy is only 59 Mb, will be a few MBs more when complete.

I didn't get into contact with him yet but thinking about it as I think the introduction pages of the tools are also worth salving. And the File Formats / General Info page.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:21 amIt's not for me to decide, but the files aren't huge, so I hope they can be preserved here, and they should have a ZXDB ID really.
There's no doubt these tools must be preserved. However they should not get a ZXDB ID, since this only applies to Spectrum programs.

In ZXDB, there's a separate table to store cross-platform tools, that's called "tools". The contents of this table can be seen here:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.php?cat=91

We are still in the process of filling this table with all cross-platform tools from Martijn's old WoS, afterwards we are planning to add all other more recent tools there.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

I'm trying to get into contact with him in an attempt to recover the missing pages.

If he gets back to me, I'll update here.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I'm sorry to hear that Claus site is gone.
I used these tools a lot, especially ZX Blockeditor. All my game mods were made with it when it came to
editing the tape images.
They must be preserved, actually I believe Spectrum Computing would be great place for that ;)

And anybody knows the reason behing the site disappearance?
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Ralf wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:55 am And anybody knows the reason behing the site disappearance?
I remember Claus himself once stated that he would not update the site any more due to more urgent questions, I seem to recall he had problems to his eyesight.

Therefore, the web space and domain subscription have expired, not having been renewed.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I remember Claus himself once stated that he would not update the site any more due to more urgent questions, I seem to recall he had problems to his eyesight.
I hope he's doing well.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Just as I contacted Peter about putting the saved content somewhere on SC, there is some movement on the domain.
I've placed a comment and waiting for a reply.

I'll keep you posted.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Yes, just to confirm this would be a storage point for them if needed. As [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] says, they wouldn't get an ID.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Good news - Claus is okay and is putting together a new site on the domain with all the tools and info :D

Perhaps you can also drop a message to show support?

http://zx-modules.de/?p=1
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Resuming an old thread...

Unfortunately Claus's new website has disappeared for a long time by now. I just hope he's well... However, I managed to preserve the newer versions of ZX-Blockeditor and ZX-Editor he released through the website in November 2020, which weren't around yet at the time of my previous post. So here are the links for both of them:

ZX-Blockeditor 2.4.3.1

ZX-Editor 2.3.1.1
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

Thank you @Alessandro.

I've been using these tools a lot lately, I'm very grateful to Claus for creating them. Thanks for preserving and sharing, they are very useful indeed!
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

Although the site http://zx-modules.de has disappeared, old version of it can be accessed via Archive.org at: https://web.archive.org/web/20220203111 ... odules.de/
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Unfortunately it seems that you can only download ZX-Blockeditor and ZX-Editor from there. Other links do not seem to work, or are missing altogether, like in the case of ZX-Paintbrush.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

I put a simple web page on my website with all the download links for Claus's programs from the ZX-Modules suite, plus other three utilities also by him. Honestly I don't know how to contact him to ask him for permission, I just hope he does not mind - should he disagrees with me hosting his programs, I shall remove the page.

https://www.alessandrogrussu.it/zx-modules.html
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

I noticed that that they have recently received some attention on WoS Classic.
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Alessandro wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:03 pm I put a simple web page on my website with all the download links for Claus's programs from the ZX-Modules suite, plus other three utilities also by him. Honestly I don't know how to contact him to ask him for permission, I just hope he does not mind - should he disagrees with me hosting his programs, I shall remove the page.

https://www.alessandrogrussu.it/zx-modules.html
This is great, thanks for doing this - just what I needed now I'm setting up a new PC.
Just as a heads up, the link to the FZX editor doesn't seem to be working though.
CLEAR 23855
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

uglifruit wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:48 am This is great, thanks for doing this - just what I needed now I'm setting up a new PC.
Just as a heads up, the link to the FZX editor doesn't seem to be working though.
Fixed.