Spectrum memes

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
1bvl109
Dizzy

Re: Spectrum memes

Post by 1bvl109 »

"Truth would quickly cease to be stranger than fiction, once we got used to it." - H.L. Mencken
1bvl109
Dizzy

Post by 1bvl109 »

ZXDunny wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:20 pm
Sokurah wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:49 pm I followed the link and now I know the idea of it, but you seem to have misunderstood the meme.
... yours just aren't funny.
Sorry.
You're kidding. That was freakin' hilarious :D
I dunno. I feel like I have to second Sokurah a little bit. This looks awfully similar to the regular Manic Miner logos and Willy. So what is it supposed to be?

I expected something along the lines of

Can I have Manic Miner?
We have Manic Miner at home.
"Manic Miner" at home: China Miner*

* https://www.jesperjuul.net/ludologist/2 ... bad-games/
"Truth would quickly cease to be stranger than fiction, once we got used to it." - H.L. Mencken
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

You know the image is from Paul Andrews' trademark, right?

https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmcas ... 0003334784
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

1bvl109 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:41 pm
ZXDunny wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:20 pm You're kidding. That was freakin' hilarious :D
I dunno. I feel like I have to second Sokurah a little bit. This looks awfully similar to the regular Manic Miner logos and Willy. So what is it supposed to be?

I expected something along the lines of

Can I have Manic Miner?
We have Manic Miner at home.
"Manic Miner" at home: China Miner*

* https://www.jesperjuul.net/ludologist/2 ... bad-games/
That is literally the joke:
djnzx48 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:51 pm You know the image is from Paul Andrews' trademark, right?

https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmcas ... 0003334784
And the image of Willy that has been trademarked isn't Willy, it's ripped from a fan tribute game. He literally doesn't own the trademark to the actual JSW or Manic Miner main sprite.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:45 pm Image
Chortle. Any idea what he's playing btw?
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

ZXDunny wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:52 pm And the image of Willy that has been trademarked isn't Willy, it's ripped from a fan tribute game. He literally doesn't own the trademark to the actual JSW or Manic Miner main sprite.
Yep, Paul Andrews doesn't own the real Manic Miner or Jet Set Willy sprite at all. Could very well own the logos, but not the actual sprites.

The joke chimed with me immediately, especially as I was working on something a decade ago where a rather over-zealous and spiteful person tried to use a trademark to stop my group producing the project the way we wanted to.

It was a documentary about a defunct TV station, and we were working together on it, with a guy from another website. We were doing quite well, then on one Boxing Day, the guy turned on us, and had - what we thought was - a solicitors' letter sent to us warning of the consequences of including the TV station's logo in our documentary, as he had bought the legal trademark to it. And yes, that logo was all over our documentary

We couldn't get much legal advice during the Christmas break but when we looked into it, he didn't own the actual logo after all. He had spent hundreds, if not a four-figure sum, on procuring something from the logo's pre-show animation, but it certainly was not the logo in any form, which is still owned by a major broadcaster that gobbled up the station.

Even then, the thing he grabbed from the animation was so generic (three circles in a venn diagram thing to demonstrate RGB light making white) it couldn't be trademarked, so he had to get it squashed (like when you see aspect ratio abuse - pictures stretched to 'fit' a widescreen TV, ugh) so it was a unique creation.

We responded - in public - about the legal threat and pointed out how ridiculous it was.

All very similar to what a certain Luton-based businessman is trying to do with notable retrogaming IP. He doesn't own the real Manic Miner or Jet Set Willy, just a poor fan-made clone. There is still no evidence - from looking at the UK IPO database - that he owns the Horace character, not even a hint of it.

I think you could get away with merchandise with that fan-made sprite on it, to a small-sized part of the retrogaming audience. I'm talking about the middle-aged dads whose wives or kids buy him one of those 'mini' recreated consoles, which get played for Christmas Day, maybe Boxing Day, and then sent off to Cash Converters or eBay, or even just sits in a cupboard collecting dust. Not a serious hardcore retrogamer (and that's fine, those people exist, a fraction of them may come over to our side if they get the bug). In my eyes, that's the only kind of potential customer Andrews will have with that dodgy sprite. Yer middle-aged man who buys an ironic 1970s pop culture t-shirt from George at Asda and keeps Absolute Radio on in the car to relive his student indie disco days. He's not going to care about the pixel accuracy of Jet Set Willy, probably wouldn't spot a knock-off Space Invaders.

Phew.

That was a bit of rant wasn't it?

Erm...

Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:36 am
No idea, but it must be interesting enough to not text that babe...

... Fred, definitely.
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

The top section is the shield graphic from Star Wars or The Empire Strikes Back and in the main game area that’s either an AT-AT or a Death Star tower. Either way, she’s going solo tonight.
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:33 am No idea, but it must be interesting enough to not text that babe...
It definitely isn't.
... apparently we were all young and stupid when we were young :lol:
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:36 am
Or.. or.. just a thought.. that phone can't receive texts.. I'd say that's on her!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:32 pm Or.. or.. just a thought.. that phone can't receive texts.. I'd say that's on her!
Good point! Staring at an old rotary phone willing a text msg to appear on it... :? The lad's had a lucky escape there.

Mind you I suppose I used to will my Speccy to have a higher colour resolution back in the day.
Fahnn
Microbot

Post by Fahnn »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:32 pm
R-Tape wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:36 am Chortle. Any idea what he's playing btw?
Or.. or.. just a thought.. that phone can't receive texts.. I'd say that's on her!
:lol: I knew somebody would beat me to pointing out the obvious flaw with this picture.

Also he's about 12 and she's about 25, so any interaction of that nature would be highly inappropriate.
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:32 pm
R-Tape wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:36 am Chortle. Any idea what he's playing btw?
I don't know about that: some providers offer a service where texts are converted to voice messages using text-to-speech so that they can be received on a landline telephone. I think the real question is whether a rotary phone can still be expected to work on the modern phone network, unless there are buttons in the ringer rather than a rotating piece...

...this is just getting too complicated. :?
All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Errmm... can anybody post the next meme, please?

:lol:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PROSM wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:26 pm ...this is just getting too complicated. :?
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:00 pm Errmm... can anybody post the next meme, please?

:lol:
Juan. This meme has been a catastrophe. You haven't let me down—you've let yourself down, and everyone else on the forum. Oh and me—you've let me down as well.

Luckily for you, I can use my advanced photoshop skills to get you out of this mess:

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Phew! Now much better! :mrgreen:
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:38 pm Image
Ehh, is this typo intentional? :?
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I suppose "Bardersnatch" was never released on the Speccy either.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Sorry, I meant 'Bandersnatch'. Yes, an unintentional typo. :?

My last memes are a complete disaster... :oops:

Eerrrm, again, bring on the bext meme, please! :mrgreen:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:26 am Sorry, I meant 'Bandersnatch'. Yes, an unintentional typo. :?

My last memes are a complete disaster... :oops:

Eerrrm, again, bring on the bext meme, please! :mrgreen:
I'll save you again Juan.

PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

:mrgreen:
All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo