Bunkered! By Global Software 1985 - can't any reference online

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Slarty
Drutt

Bunkered! By Global Software 1985 - can't any reference online

Post by Slarty »

Hi,

My google-fu is letting me down: I've got a zx spectrum 48k tape called "Bunkered!" by Global Software 1985, but no tape player.

Does anyone know where I can download it, or see a screen shot of it? I see other Global Software titles on WoS from around the same time, but not this one.

Thanks
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Bunkered! By Global Software 1985 - can't any reference online

Post by R-Tape »

Slarty wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:06 pm Hi,

My google-fu is letting me down: I've got a zx spectrum 48k tape called "Bunkered!" by Global Software 1985, but no tape player.

Does anyone know where I can download it, or see a screen shot of it? I see other Global Software titles on WoS from around the same time, but not this one.

Thanks
ZXDB is up to date, and here is the list for Global Software. It sounds like you might have an uMIA!*

Can you take a picture of the cassette and inlay? It is does turn out to be MIA then there are people that can help convert it to TZX.

*unlisted missing in action
Slarty
Drutt

Post by Slarty »

Thanks for your response, and thanks for the link. I can only take some poor shots at the moment as in a rush, but here they are:

Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Looks like a golf game.

R-Tape is right, you may have a very rare and quite precious game. Through very old tradition
we call these games here uMIA which means "unlisted missing in action".

So we don't have it and we even don't know that we don't have it ;)

I really hope someone helps you with the tape player and making a file image of it.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Slarty, unless I'm much mistaken you have uMIA! (no need to see a doctor) I've sent you a PM about preserving it.

There's already enough to create a new ID in the next update. It'd be interesting to see if it's mentioned anywhere in the magazines around this time (anyone?). I think quite a few uMIA have IDs based on a magazine mention alone, so it's surprising Bunkered! doesn't already have one.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Massive thanks to @bartfast* for sending me the tape for this. With the help of people in this thread, I managed to convert it to TAP. I'm not uploading anything to the site yet as there some questions over what's what here.

Here's the TAP. But it's exactly the same as Abrasco's Golf, already in the DB. Side 1 and 2 are the same.

But as we can see, the inlay doesn't match up. The inlay description sounds about right, apart from the 'onscreen golfer to pit yourself against', but inlays don't always match the game.

Anyone have any ideas? I can only think of the following:

-a re-release, but Global Software's other games suggest they would have bothered to change the loading screen, or at least mentioned GS somewhere?

-someone taped over Bunkered with Abrasco Golf!

I'm going to @StooB who often finds answers to these kind of problems.

*formerly the OP, 'slarty'. Compliments on the work you did on the Norwegian coastline btw.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

After chatting with @bartfast and others, it seems unlikely that a golf game called "Bunkered" was recorded over on both sides with a BASIC golf game from 3 years earlier, and more likely that Global Software are the re-releaser of Abrasco's Golf.

I still find it weird that Global haven't made any attempt to display the new title or publisher name, which is incongruous with the rest of their catalogue. However, this is from earlier in their history where we don't have much info - perhaps they rolled differently then.

So how should this look in the DB? Should the Bunkered ID be deleted, and Global to be listed as a re-releaser of Abrasco's Golf?

Even better, if anyone knows the author, K. Eaves, or has extra info, let us know!
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

The page for "Abrasco" Golf probably needs amending anyway, as Abrasco weren't the original publishers, according to the magazine references. The author, K. Eaves was...
https://archive.org/details/popular-com ... ew=theater
(He may have improved or changed the game for Abrasco, I guess. In which case his "golf" would need a separate entry for that magazine reference to sit on.)

This is tagged online as the "Eaves" Golf release, but I can't see any evidence from the photo that it actually is. It could be one of the various other "Spectrum golfs". It's the sort of inlay I'd expect from that sort of small ad though,
https://lvl1gamingla.com/products/pc-5056077
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

On a related note, here's another K. Eaves ZX Spectrum program... Diary... a bird watching utility... "Computerise your Birding records"
https://archive.org/details/britishbird ... /page/117/
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:32 pm So how should this look in the DB? Should the Bunkered ID be deleted, and Global to be listed as a re-releaser of Abrasco's Golf?
I think so.

I will make this change.