Why not make a VERTICAL game? = Sideways colour scrolling!

Propose new game/software design concepts or new game/software ideas. They can be as whimsical as you like, just be careful you don't ask someone to make it for you...
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Re: Why not make a VERTICAL game? = Sideways colour scrolling!

Post by Joefish »

It'd be a bad idea to turn a CRT telly on its side. The case would sag and put pressure on bits that weren't meant to take the weight. And those tubes are heavy. Arcade monitor CRTs were specially mounted when used vertically, and were mostly facing upwards anyway rather than forwards.
LCD screens are much lighter and easier to rotate. Again, it may not be ideal in a home TV, but several computer monitors come on stands that can be rotated to the vertical. You'd need one of those VGA or HDMI display replicator interfaces.

Come to think of it, can't you do this in windows running an emulator anyway? Set up two monitors and define one as vertical, then run an emulator on that screen.
Alone Coder
Manic Miner

Post by Alone Coder »

Have anyone tried to use a test combination (!IORQ & !MREQ) on the original ULA where all the counters work 64x speed? This might help to scroll in both directions. As I see (I may be wrong), you only need a resistor between ULA MREQ and A6 (for example), so OUT to 0xDF (for example) will emit several 64x speed cycles.
NB: I never touched an original machine, so I don't even know if there is a smaller resistor between ULA MREQ and CPU MREQ, it's needed!
Alone Coder
Manic Miner

Post by Alone Coder »

I mean, port 0xBF (A6=0).