Spectrum games recreated in 3D

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Spectrum games recreated in 3D

Post by SteveSmith »

I've just released my new game, called "Lost in the Game". Each level (there's only 4 at the moment) is a recreation of a Spectrum game but in 3D. Depending if there's enough interest, I'll be adding more games. Requests welcome. :)

https://stephensmith.itch.io/lost-in-the-game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDTHV_zUNew
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Re: Spectrum games recreated in 3D

Post by stupidget »

I like this idea. I wonder if you could do a left to right side scroller in 3d maybe something like Green Beret?
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

stupidget wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:05 am I like this idea. I wonder if you could do a left to right side scroller in 3d maybe something like Green Beret?
Do you mean like Green Beret as an FPS?
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Yes, but on a fixed path similar to the 2d game. So basically a 3d run, jump 'n stab game :-)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

After watching the video, I'm thinking of a sort of first-person Sabre Wulf. It'd be amazing!
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

stupidget wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:19 am Yes, but on a fixed path similar to the 2d game. So basically a 3d run, jump 'n stab game :-)
How do you do the ladders and upper levels then? It's all too easy to fake that sort of stuff side-on. In a 3D environment you have to consider how you go up and over, not just drift through something solid.
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:31 pm After watching the video, I'm thinking of a sort of first-person Sabre Wulf. It'd be amazing!
Maybe for Sabre Wulf you could have a lot of tree and plant sprites placed in rows to make the walls of the maze, rather than something like a ray-casting maze of polygonal walls. You'd probably want them to fade (stippled) as well as shrink with distance, so the visuals don't get too confusing. Or maybe you could even do an over-the-shoulder view with a high viewpoint looking downward, so the scenery rotates around your on-screen character, but you still only see the immediate local area; not so far ahead that you have to worry about drawing perspective.
Last edited by Joefish on Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Post by Hank Scorpio »

Could Pippo be remade in 3D?
Manu128k
Dizzy

Post by Manu128k »

What a coincidence, I rediscovered a few days ago an old project I made for my engineer degree.

The game could be 9/10 years old, so don't be too cruel with it.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPqeb2YVMfs[/media]

Most game texts are in Spanish, but I hope you can get the idea.
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:31 pm After watching the video, I'm thinking of a sort of first-person Sabre Wulf. It'd be amazing!
Sabre Wulf wiouldn't be too hard, but the main obstacle is having images of the baddies (i.e. the sabre wulf or rhinos) front-facing, otherwise it looks like they are walking sideways as they come towards you.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Joefish wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:16 pm
stupidget wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:19 am Yes, but on a fixed path similar to the 2d game. So basically a 3d run, jump 'n stab game :-)
How do you do the ladders and upper levels then? It's all too easy to fake that sort of stuff side-on. In a 3D environment you have to consider how you go up and over, not just drift through something solid.
You could have it so that you have to jump up onto the second level and from there onto the third and then you could drop down between levels as you ran ahead. Similar to one of those running games (temple run) that were popular a few years ago but in first person.