ZX Spin RZX Playback

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
redballoon
Manic Miner

ZX Spin RZX Playback

Post by redballoon »

Hello,

Can you fast forward a RZX playback video in ZX Spin to get to a specific time?
For example, the Dun Darach RZX is, like, over 2 hours long according to the YouTube version but I want to get access to a few minutes at a specific time - to a time just shy of the 2 hour mark - but I don't want to have to sit through it all just to get to this part and I may need to access this time in the RZX multiple times. Is this possible? I can't see some sort of fast forward option.

Thanks.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Re: ZX Spin RZX Playback

Post by djnzx48 »

Try right-clicking the play/pause button then click 'Run the Emulation at full speed'.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

btw i have a question for Dunny (and, well, other people with RZX coding experience)

when frame1 ends right after fetching the ED prefix of IN(C) command, does the IN itself belong to frame1 or frame2?
is it even possible in a correct RZX record? and how to handle such situation on replay?

it's not clear from available documentation
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Going back to original question...

Generally you can't currently fast forward rzx recording to any chosen moment. The only option is to speed up your emulator to maximum
and watch everything before your moment.

Yes, it's a pain in case of a few hours long recordings.

Personally when I made such long recording I've always tried to split my recording into several files, because of the above.
Also sometimes you get recording errors and recording in parts is a defensive technique, useful when something goes wrong.
You don't have to repeat everything, just a broken part.

There actually would be some good solution for rzx fast forwarding. Rzx structure consists of initial memory snapshot and later keypresses.
To get the situtation in the game after let's say 2 hours your emulator has to start from the scratch and process all these keypresses and it lasts.

You could use something like "key frame" - put a full memory snapshot into rzx file every 15 minutes or so.. It would make the files
bigger but you really shouldn't worry about a megabyte or two in the year 2020 ;)

Just someone would have to do it, in rzx format and in some emulator.