Ghosts 'n Goblins VS Ghouls 'n' Ghosts

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

Which is the better game?

Ghosts 'n Goblins [Elite, 1986]
48%
Ghouls 'n' Ghosts [U.S. Gold, 1989]
52%

Total votes: 29

WIWC
Manic Miner

Re: Ghosts 'n Goblins VS Ghouls 'n' Ghosts

Post by WIWC »

Different answer on Twitter.

I don't know what to believe anymore.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Voted there as well.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
CaptainKrenon
Drutt

Post by CaptainKrenon »

I'm also surprised by the poll results.

Ghosts 'n Goblins (the original arcade version) is one of my favourite games of all time (I actually prefer it to Ghouls 'n' Ghosts).

The Spectrum version by Elite was quite decent. In my opinion it could have been better: half of the levels were missing and some of the present ones were quite different from the original ones, but it was still playable and fun. So not a bad version after all.

However I always thought that Ghouls 'n' Ghosts was really good on the Spectrum, one of the best adaptations of an arcade game for this computer in my opinion. They took an action game from 1989 and adapted it in a way that actually made sense for a 1982 computer, removing all the unnecessary elements while keeping it quite faithful to the original game and, most importantly, very fast and playable.

Many Spectrum adaptations of late 80s arcade games tried to be too close to the originals: too many colours, too big graphics, too cluttered backgronds, and they were often slow and not very playable. Ghouls 'n' Ghosts did it right.
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

That's how the Twitter version of the poll ended:

59.1% for Ghosts 'n Goblins (and it's missing my vote)
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

I definitely preferred the sequel back in the day. That said, both games are way too hard for me to really enjoy them. Good conversions though
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Something similar happened to me. I love the first game, in fact, I'm a fan of the developer. I played the arcade back in the day and the conversion was nice, one of the best IMO, then I started to read opinions online and discovered is not high prised.

I understand the criticism, the game feels rushed and it does not have all the levels, but besides the jump being a bit floaty, it plays close to the original.
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Of the Spectrum versions I chose Ghouls 'n Ghosts for having a bit more content and a marginally better difficulty level. Although I do like separate fire & jump buttons in Ghosts 'n Goblins.

They're both pretty good conversions of deeply flawed games IMO. I like the graphical style and it's a genre I often enjoy, so I've tried to make myself like them. But like RWAC, I just find them too frustrating and difficult to be enjoyable. Both would be improved massively by restarting you where you die, rather than taking you right back to the beginning of the level. In an already difficult game, you don't need that kind of punishment. Also, the bomb power up in both games just sucks.