+3 sound quality?

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
animaal
Microbot

+3 sound quality?

Post by animaal »

Hi. I had a +2 (grey) back in the day. It was my only computer for many years, until I eventually downgraded to a Pentium PC :)

More recently, I managed to get myself a +3. I used to lust after a Spectrum with a disk drive and now I have one.

I refurbished it - changed the capacitors, Scart fix, audio fix. Regarding the audio, it was just awful! now that it's fixed, it's great, similar to the sound quality of my old +2.

Was this a big deal in the 80s? I don't remember reading about +3 sound quality in magazines, but I might not have taken too much notice if it was discussed.

If I had turned on a new +3 and heard the sound quality, I would probably have returned it, thinking it was faulty. I suppose in a way they all were.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: +3 sound quality?

Post by Ast A. Moore »

I guess the +3 was not produced in substantial quantities, unlike the +2A, in which the issue was later corrected (and the new model received the +2B moniker). There was technically a +3B, but it was extremely rare and, as far as I can tell, was only released for the Spanish market.

That said, the original 128K and +2 also had a sound issue—the beeper and AY-chip audio were extremely unbalanced. Those were never officially fixed, in spite of several logic board revisions.

I never owned any of the Amstrad machines back in the day, so I can’t say for sure. When I purchased a Toastrack a couple of years ago, I fixed the audio myself, and my Amstrad machine is a +2B.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

I certainly never knew of anyone with a +3, which supports that hypothesis.
Incidentally, the toastrack which I recently bought has had the Beeper-AY resistor fix, but the beeper is still a fair bit louder. However, overall a lot quieter than my 48K when connected to my TV. After your own fix, are they more or less equivalent volume, or does the beeper still out do the AY? I saw there are several ways to do the mod, so I'm wondering if it's worth me re-doing.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

Isn't the beeper thing intentional? The manual describes the beeper volume as being as loud as all three AY channels at full volume.
animaal
Microbot

Post by animaal »

Yes, I remember reading that about the +2, which is why I never really thought it was a bug.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

animaal wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:30 pmIf I had turned on a new +3 and heard the sound quality, I would probably have returned it, thinking it was faulty.
Apparently some people did...

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

patters wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:34 pm After your own fix, are they more or less equivalent volume, or does the beeper still out do the AY? I saw there are several ways to do the mod, so I'm wondering if it's worth me re-doing.
I went for them being more or less equal in volume. It really all depends on the value of the resistor you use. Here’s my mod:

(Note: This will only affect the volume on the MIC output; not through the RF modulator.)

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

AndyC wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:31 pm Isn't the beeper thing intentional? The manual describes the beeper volume as being as loud as all three AY channels at full volume.
Hmm. Can’t find it anywhere in the manual. Could you tell me the page number? (I just went through this searching for words like “loud” and “volume” to no avail.)

animaal
Microbot

Post by animaal »

If you look at the +2 manual, page 121:

"As previously mentioned, BEEP is louder than a single channel of PLAY, but if all three channels play a note at volume 15, then it should be at the same level as a note produced by BEEP"
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

animaal wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:14 pm If you look at the +2 manual, page 121:

"As previously mentioned, BEEP is louder than a single channel of PLAY, but if all three channels play a note at volume 15, then it should be at the same level as a note produced by BEEP"
Thanks! That explains that, then.

By the way, the volume difference on the MIC jack of the Toastrack (or the SOUND jack of the +2) is much more drastic than on the RF. That might explain why most people didn’t notice it.

Swainy
Manic Miner

Post by Swainy »

The sound problem was mentioned in the magazines at the time. I think Crash even had a fix guide.

A friend of mine had a +3 and it sounded awful compared to my grey +2.