Poll: Atic Atac or Sabre Wulf?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

Atic Atac or Sabre Wulf?

Atic Atac
59%
Sabre Wulf
41%

Total votes: 34

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Poll: Atic Atac or Sabre Wulf?

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

This time two great Ultimate classics.

ImageImage

"It’s basically a jungle version of Atic Atac but much more involved (and better too)" ,"Sabre Wulf takes Atic Atac further","Both Atic Atac and Sabre Wulf are really like graphic adventures. It is up to you, the player, to find solutions to the problems" is what we can read in Crash (issue #6) about these two games. Your fave?

Mine Sabre Wulf as it's a colourful game with an awesome map. An incredible adventure. Both are amazing games, though.
Last edited by Juan F. Ramirez on Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: Poll: Atic Atac or Sabre Wulf?

sorry, double post
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Atic Atac was way too frantic for me. Sabre Wulf was much more up my alley.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Atic Atac. When I first played it I would have gone for Sabre Wulf, but I think after playing them both quite a lot, I think that I died a bit too randomly in Sabre Wulf for my liking.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Atic Atac could be completed, with practise. Sabre Wulf had too many things that would kill you unfairly, like indestructible creatures that you can't get past when they're in your way, and being unable to use your sword up or down the screen.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Joefish wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:20 pm Atic Atac could be completed, with practise. Sabre Wulf had too many things that would kill you unfairly, like indestructible creatures that you can't get past when they're in your way, and being unable to use your sword up or down the screen.
All of those things can be worked around though - the lack of up/down fighting makes it harder, sure, but even in the vertical corridors you can still kill things above and below you. Also animals asleep in corners can be gotten around - if you have your sword out, they take a fraction of a second waking up before they can kill you - so you can slip past them or turn around and run like hell to come back later when the corner they were sleeping in is clear.

So yeah, for me it's Sabre Wulf. I've finished many times now and still go back to play more. Love it, love it, love it. Atic Atac is Ok, but not a patch on SW.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Atic Atac for me.

Sabre Wulf was for me too hard, too big and many screens looked the same so you could easily get lost.

But both are great games from early Spectrum years, beating all competition.
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

I go for Sabre Wulf because..... Atic Atac is a lazy clone of Wizard's Lair.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Sabre Wulf, as I found it easier to play, learn and complete. There was the use of the cyan/red/purple flowers to zip through the sleeping hippos and bears. The natives as they would give small clues to where the amulet was hidden. Learning the flower bloom colour sequence is a must to zip through the game and be cyan/red is great.
Downside.... the wulf strolled along the lower part of the map and that was it, there could've/should've been more to the wulf chasing Sabre man around the entire map, and made use of the native huts to explore and find things. Stupid keyboard keys and don't forget the extra lives bug - shame on you Ultimate!

Atic Atac. I learned how to master this game a few years back, the locations of the colour door keys and things. Scampering around to collect things without dying. Again, stupid keyboard keys - I always used cursor keys if QAOPM wasn't available. I did enjoy it back in the day, but it just didn't grab me as much as Wizard's Lair did - that was a game I really enjoyed playing.
Have completed Atic Atac many times since.

My vote goes to Sabre Wulf.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I go for Sabre Wulf because..... Atic Atac is a lazy clone of Wizard's Lair.
Yes, and Knight Lore is a crappy, slow clone of Head Over Heels ;)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

As the thread starter, I'd like to have the power to ban some people from this thread.

BLASPHEMY NOT ACCEPTED.

;)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I don't like either, but Sabre Wulf looks nicer.

Oh bloody hell it's 50/50 again, if we have another drawn poll I'm going to cry.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

This drawn demonstrates that both games are great...
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Blimey! Drawn just broke, 12/11!
Uto
Drutt

Post by Uto »

I consider Atic Atac best ZX Spectrum solo game, so I didn't hesitate a bit when choosing my option.

Sabre Wulf is a nice game too, but you can't compare teh ambience of a jungle with that of a haunted house.
http://uto.speccy.org
Follow me at @uto_dev