New release of SpecEmu

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
Woodster
Drutt

New release of SpecEmu

Post by Woodster »

It's been quite a while since I released anything, and I haven't exactly been busy with it, but here's the latest version:
https://keybase.pub/woodywoodster/spece ... 080220.zip

We now have +2A emulation, bug fixes, new bugs..
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Re: New release of SpecEmu

Post by Seven.FFF »

Cheers Woody!
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
Weiv
Microbot

Post by Weiv »

Hello Mark. Seems like the emulator or its libraries are compiled with dependences, because it needs a lot of absent libraries.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

New bugs, you say? I’ve got to get me some of those then!
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Nice. Looks like the AY noise period issue has been corrected from the version I was using previously.
Woodster
Drutt

Post by Woodster »

Weiv wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:01 pm Hello Mark. Seems like the emulator or its libraries are compiled with dependences, because it needs a lot of absent libraries.
Whoops, is it better now? Same link in original post.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

I don’t know if it’s related to the above, but both builds (yesterday’s and today’s) crash upon exit with

Code: Select all

Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0xfffffffc in 32-bit code (0x00b129e4).
Granted, this is running it in Wine, although 3.1.b160318 never gave me that error.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
Weiv
Microbot

Post by Weiv »

Woodster wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:16 pm
Weiv wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:01 pm Hello Mark. Seems like the emulator or its libraries are compiled with dependences, because it needs a lot of absent libraries.
Whoops, is it better now? Same link in original post.
Yes, it's fine now. Thanks!
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Thanks for the new version, Mark :)

Also for correcting the black-brightness bug :)

I'm having trouble with the latest one you posted to have it remember the latest machine when closing it. Could polomint's version somehow be conflicting with it, or what could be the cause?

Also, following this discussion: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1045&start=30
What are your thoughts on this? And if the results are found to be correct and not implemented yet, could you please do so in the main version?

zedex82
Drutt

Post by zedex82 »

Thanks

Matt
Woodster
Drutt

Post by Woodster »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:26 pm I don’t know if it’s related to the above, but both builds (yesterday’s and today’s) crash upon exit with

Code: Select all

Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0xfffffffc in 32-bit code (0x00b129e4).
Granted, this is running it in Wine, although 3.1.b160318 never gave me that error.
Does this one work without the error?
https://keybase.pub/woodywoodster/spece ... 090220.zip
Woodster
Drutt

Post by Woodster »

XoRRoX wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:17 pm Thanks for the new version, Mark :)

Also for correcting the black-brightness bug :)

I'm having trouble with the latest one you posted to have it remember the latest machine when closing it. Could polomint's version somehow be conflicting with it, or what could be the cause?

Also, following this discussion: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1045&start=30
What are your thoughts on this? And if the results are found to be correct and not implemented yet, could you please do so in the main version?
I'll take a look at the latest machine problem. The AY noise period should be fixed in this version. Are you still having problems?
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Woodster wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:22 pm It's been quite a while since I released anything, and I haven't exactly been busy with it, but here's the latest version:
https://keybase.pub/woodywoodster/spece ... 080220.zip

We now have +2A emulation, bug fixes, new bugs..
Thanks Woody, it's always a pleasure to see a new SpecEmu version. :)
No doubt you did a great job, as always.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Woodster wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:33 pm Does this one work without the error?
https://keybase.pub/woodywoodster/spece ... 090220.zip
Oh, yeah! That’s the good stuff.

XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

About the latest machine issue: I've also used polomint's SpecEmu version in the past - could it possibly be related to both using the same config file? To test, I thought about deleting it and trying your version again but seem to be unable to find it.
Woodster
Drutt

Post by Woodster »

XoRRoX wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:37 am About the latest machine issue: I've also used polomint's SpecEmu version in the past - could it possibly be related to both using the same config file? To test, I thought about deleting it and trying your version again but seem to be unable to find it.
Should be fixed in this new version now: https://keybase.pub/woodywoodster/spece ... 130220.zip
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Woodster wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:01 pm
XoRRoX wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:37 am About the latest machine issue: I've also used polomint's SpecEmu version in the past - could it possibly be related to both using the same config file? To test, I thought about deleting it and trying your version again but seem to be unable to find it.
Should be fixed in this new version now: https://keybase.pub/woodywoodster/spece ... 130220.zip
I was also having the problem and confirmed it is fixed on this version.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Great - latest machine issue is indeed fixed.
Regarding the sound: am I understanding correctly that the change described in that threat is now integrated in this version?
I'm fooling around with ym->mym conversions and needing a reference that I can fairly trust and in general, SpecEmu is my go-to emu.
hexaae
Dizzy

Post by hexaae »

Joystick input doesn't seem to work... I have XBox One gamepad and Hori Fighting Stick Mini, and when I set Kempston (any port) for input dev 1, 2 all I got is player1 moving and firing randomly on screen...
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Thanks for the latest release Woody.

Just throwing these ideas around....

Soft Reset Icon.
Please give the soft reset button a 'confirm reset Yes/No' requester, and/or let the use remove it from the tool bar.

Tick.. tick.. click click
Please remove the very annoying clicking noise when selecting the menu and options.

Full screen mode.
It currently jumps into a horrible 640x480 fuzzy stretched screen, the options requester 'OK and 'Cancel' buttons are hidden below the screen and need to be dragged up to be found.
Allow the user to set the resolution of the full screen mode (800x600, 1024x768, 1366x788 or whatever)
Full screen should stay in the correct ratio. In the options menu give the user the option of ticking 'use horrible, nasty and utterly pointless stretch-o-vision.'
Full screen should stay with correct crisp upscaling or let the user select 'nasty fuzzy-o-vision.'
Give the option of border size of NONE (no border), SMALL (16 pixels wide), MEDIUM (32 pixels wide) or FULL.
- remember to keep the correct ratio.

Border mode.
Keep it simple, NONE (no border), SMALL (16 pixels wide), MEDIUM (32 pixels wide) or FULL (everything)

Ta!
hexaae
Dizzy

Post by hexaae »

hexaae wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:54 pm Joystick input doesn't seem to work... I have XBox One gamepad and Hori Fighting Stick Mini, and when I set Kempston (any port) for input dev 1, 2 all I got is player1 moving and firing randomly on screen...
Please, others can confirm that Joystick emu isn't working well for many games including Atic Atac, After the War, etc... ?

Moreover I noticed this strange behaviour:
Kempston (port 31) works fine with Cybernoid, but my Hori Fighting Stick Mini 4 stick (XInput device, DPAD/POV-hat for directions) can't detect left+up, left+down, right+up, right+down as diagonal directions. Looks like it can't detect multiple directions at once in short.
hexaae
Dizzy

Post by hexaae »

REQUEST:
remap additional controller physical buttons (X, B, Y, RT, LT, etc.) to editable Spectrum keyboard keys. This could be handy with games requiring more than one standard fire button: (e.g.) to open inventory, jump, launch granade with 2nd key etc...
andydansby
Microbot

Post by andydansby »

I have switched to SpecEmu as my default emulator and I have been ecstatic with it's ease of use and accuracy and especially its debugger. There are a few request I would like to make.

DEBUGGER:
Would love to have a GOTO bar above the program window instead of having to go to Edit - Go to, where you can place in the address you would like to jump to.

In the program window, it would be handy to have an indicator of the line currently being executed rather than to have to look at the PC register.

Would like to be able to jump to various pages to view the code/data in that particular page. So for example, while I'm in the home bank, would like to be able to jump to bank 4 to see code in bank 4.

Perhaps have some user defined shortcut keys for various Debug options like CTRL-H to run until you encounter a HALT, like one can do with Debug - Run Until - OP Code - HALT.

Thanks
Andy Dansby
andydansby
Microbot

Post by andydansby »

Being able to reset the Spectrum during debugging without removing the break points would also be handy during a debugging session.

Andy Dansby
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Yesterday, I tried some short basic programs, which we tested undocumented ULA behavior known as "ULA artefacts" many years ago.
I tried all these programs, but this example with stripes on black background, no longer works on the latest couple of SpecEmu versions I tried.
https://omega.webnode.com/news/another-ula-effect/

Then, I tested with the version from 2018 and it worked fine there.
Looks like something's broken and we need a fix.
Here are all the tests, the others seem to be still working fine.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 3877256340