Interface 1bis

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Interface 1bis

Post by PeterJ »

For anyone who has one of these wonderful devices I'm pleased to let you know that it now supports downloads from Spectrum Computing as well as World of Spectrum and Archive.org

https://sites.google.com/site/interface1bis/

https://sites.google.com/site/interface ... ctober2017
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Interface 1bis

Post by PeterJ »

Does anyone else have one of these?
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Yes :mrgreen:
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

Might be something I would by.

I have to think about it :)
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

Would be nice to have this an an option peripheral on the emulators - would be good for development :lol:
Dan Antohi
Drutt

Post by Dan Antohi »

The 'Interface 1bis' is slightly more difficult to emulate than devices consisting of just one CPLD, but luckily I don't need an emulator for development,
mainly because I happened to be around in the old days, when the keypunch and the line printer were the programmer's tools and debugging implied annotating hex core dump listings, which was as such a strong incentive to learn how to write code that works first time.
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

Dan Antohi wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:41 am ..., which was as such a strong incentive to learn how to write code that works first time.
Thast's so true.

Today, I see young programmers, just keep compiling until they get it, because it feels easy.
They will not get to be as good programmers as they could be, if they they keep using this crutch.

Having a good grasp of the objective/intent, and being able to structure it in your mind, before you start typing is a big plus,when prograqmming.
I would even dare to say it's fundamental, to be able to generate code without bugs, because if you don't see the big picture, you will miss the corner cases that will make your code go wild.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]Dan Antohi[/mention] Whilst I found the initial learning curve quite steep the Interface 1bis is an amazing piece of kit. It offers many features like ethernet or WiFi (via a cheap ESP8266 module) connection from your Spectrum to your PC. You can even chat online! The documentation is very good on the website and Dan answered questions for me.

I would have liked to see Windows 10 signed drivers rather than having to unable unsigned. Also the YouTube videos seem voiced by a robotic voice which makes them very hard to listen too. It would be good if something could be written to make more use of the internet connection. Downloading XML RSS data for instance would be amazing! You can also download software from our own site as well as WoS and archive.org.

[mention]PaulJ[/mention] did a great review on the Spectrum Show.
shifters74
Drutt

Post by shifters74 »

Hi All,

sorry to resserect an old thread - can you still buy the IBIS?

I live in the UK and would appreciate knowing how long it took people to receive there units and what it cost on import duties!

Many thanks

Shifters
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi. I'm in the UK, and mine took about 3 weeks to arrive. I didn't pay any import duties. [mention]Dan Antohi[/mention] is on the forum and have asked for his assistance in testing the messaging facility.
shifters74
Drutt

Post by shifters74 »

Thanks Peter i will PM Dan

shifters
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I've mentioned before what a big fan I am of the Interface1Bis. Dan who created it is maybe not the most cheerful person ever, but is always willing to answer questions (Just make sure you have read the manuals first!). The operation of the interface is very different to anything else and requires a reasonable time investment to get it going. Also the drivers are still not signed, so you have to either use Windows 7 or earlier or enable unsigned driver support in Windows 10.

Anyway the reason for posting was that last night I managed to get the Wireless module working again (Despite disabling signed drivers on Windows 10 and disabling the firewall, the only way I could get it working was to install on a Windows XP VM in VMWare Player). Its based on an ESP8266 in the same way the Next Wifi is set-up. What is wonderful is you run a little server on your desktop, drop some game files in the selected folder and they are instantly available to the Spectrum via the interface. If you don't have the wireless module you can do the same via USB or an optional Ethernet adaptor.

Is this something which has been considered for the Next [mention]Seven.FFF[/mention] and [mention]TheSMoG[/mention] SMoG?
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Interesting. It's an esoteric piece of kit and I was interested in buying perhaps but couldn't find any info. There are some hating vids on utube though and bad comments elsewhere ("it destroyed my Speccy!!11") so it left me a bit confused.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi, yes I have seen those too. Interestingly [mention]Dan Antohi[/mention], puts links to those on his home page and advises people to watch them.

For a balancing opinion I would watch this episode of the Spectrum Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AgwFWEZXP4

Esoteric is an excellent way to describe it! That has become my word of the day!

Also read the getting started guide here:

https://sites.google.com/site/interface ... edirects=0

and the Game Browser Guide here:

https://sites.google.com/site/interface ... edirects=0

I think the problems that most people have is caused by them not reading the documents fully. There are some guides by Dan on YouTube. Not sure why but they are narrated in a computer voice which makes them hard to listen to, and seem to be run on a very old version of Windows NT.

I have used it on my two 128K Toastracks and my +3 without any issues with the hardware.

Its certainly something I don't regret buying. One other feature is you can (as long as you are happy with Port Forwarding) chat with other Interface1Bis users over the world via the built in chat.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

This is my Windows XP Desktop with the server running. By the way IMHO VMWare Player is just so much better that VirtualBox. So much faster.

Then, this is the Spectrum seeing that folder via Wifi. Its like magic when it works! It just means I can develop in the emulator on my desktop, save the result into the appropriate folder and run it immedialy on a real Spectrum. No SD Cards needed! Pentacorn Quest which is a 128K game loads in 12 seconds.

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

More information in this later today...

akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

PeterJ wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:47 am Hi, yes I have seen those too. Interestingly @Dan Antohi, puts links to those on his home page and advises people to watch them.
Hah, yeah, he sent me one of these links when I inquired about the device. I kinda like this approach. I guess he's a bit burned out by the negativity (we all know there are some hysterical un's on the internet) hence the attitude, I can understand that. And I just needed a recommendation from an actual user, and yours is of course as good as they get.

So, might get one, because it's a really intriguing device! And not at all expensive, given its abilities.
pjm
Drutt

Post by pjm »

Hi Chaps,

I've built a pair of these int1bis boards recently (Oct/Nov 2021). Have to say they are totally amazing, it did take a while to work out what needed programming on the board and the order to load stuff etc. The supplied button and CPU PIC assembler files need compiling and blowing into the 2X pic processors, and the FPGA needs programming, I used a raspberry PI + gpio to directly program it on the board, and it worked first time. The load directly from internet is excellent, certainly a bit quicker than tape / floppy disk etc, the design of the int1bis is truly great!

We do have about 6 or 7 more blank PCB's if anyone wants to roll their own, also PCB's for the WIFI module etc. A really great project.

regards,

Paui.
AndyP
Drutt

Post by AndyP »

Hi Paui,

I'm in the process of starting to assemble an Interface 1bis now that all the parts have finally arrived. Do you still have any of the WiFi module or other PCB's available?

Any information on suggested assembly order and programming order would be appreciated.

Thanks

AndyP