The best modern Speccy game beginning with M: vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

The best modern Speccy game beginning with M

Mag the Magician
No votes
Mage Rage
No votes
Magic
No votes
Magic Tokens
No votes
Majikazo
6%
Malignant Gore, The
No votes
Manic Miner 4
No votes
Manic Miner 5: Los Peligros del LSD
No votes
Manic Miner 6: The Buddha of Suburbia
No votes
Manic Miner 7
No votes
Manic Miner - 2000
No votes
Manic Miner - The Big Bonus Edition
No votes
Manic Miner Turbo
No votes
Manic Miner ZX81
No votes
Manic Miner: Back to the Mine
No votes
Manic Miner: comp.sys.sinclair
No votes
Manic Miner: Jet Set Willy
No votes
Manic Miner: Matthew Smith 2008 Remix
No votes
Manic Miner: Neighbours - Allana Truman
No votes
Manic Miner: The Hobbit
No votes
Manic Minor's 80's Christmas Shopping Trip, A
No votes
Manic Mixup
No votes
Manic Muslim
No votes
Manic Pietro
3%
Manic Scribbler
No votes
Mantra Kill
No votes
Marbles of Wisdom
No votes
Maria vs. Some Ba**ards
No votes
Mariano the Dragon in Capers in Cityland
No votes
Maritrini, Freelance Monster Slayer
6%
Maritrini, Freelance Monster Slayer en: Las Increibles Vicisitudes de Despertarse Resacosa con Fred en la Cama y Tener que Llegar Mas o Menos Puntual a la Prueba de "Monstruos Vigorosos de Pechos Lustrosos" featuring Los Fratelli
3%
Matthew Cranston Battles
No votes
Max Pickles Part 1: The Haunted Castle
No votes
Max Pickles Part 2: The Mine of Doom
No votes
Max Pickles Part 3: The Price of Power
No votes
Maze Death Rally-X
3%
Mazogs
No votes
Mega Meghan
No votes
Merry Christmas From Horace
No votes
Metal Man Reloaded
16%
Mighty Final Fight
6%
Mike, The Guitar
No votes
Mine Worker
No votes
Minesweeper
No votes
Mini Explorer XXXI
No votes
Misco Jones: Raiders of the Lost Vah-Ka
No votes
Mister Kung Fu
16%
Mockatetris
No votes
MODERATE RETRIBUTION
No votes
Moggy
No votes
Moggy Adventure
No votes
Mole Rat!
3%
Monkey J. in: The Treasure of the Gold Temple That Was Lost in the Forest Until He (or She?) Found It
No votes
Monono
No votes
Monstrland: Testimony of the Ancients
No votes
Monty Mole and The Lost Souls
3%
Monty's Honey Run
No votes
Monty's Last Strike
6%
Moon and The Pirates
No votes
Moon's Fandom Festival
No votes
Moonscape - Escape from the Moon
3%
More Tea, Vicar?
3%
Moritz
No votes
Moritz to the Moon
No votes
Morph
No votes
Mortal Kombat
No votes
Mpthrilla: The Metal Miner
No votes
Mr Do!
6%
Mr. Vintik
No votes
MultiDude
13%
Mushroom Man
No votes
My Rendition of Horace to the Rescue
No votes
Mysterious Dimensions
No votes
Mystery
No votes
Mystery of Ancient Castle
No votes
Myth II: Return to Hell
No votes

Total votes: 31

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

The best modern Speccy game beginning with M: vote

Post by PeteProdge »

Ouch.

That took an age.

M delivers an abundance of modern games. Even if you left out all the Manic Miner mods, this would still be the biggest collection in the A-Z polls so far.

We have some really good game names in here. Maria Vs Some Ba**ards is my favourite, closely followed by Monkey J in: The Treasure of the Gold Temple That Was Lost in the Forest Until He (or She?) Found It. And kudos to The Mojon Twins, who, I think, have come up with the longest Spectrum game name of all time: Maritrini, Freelance Monster Slayer en: Las Increibles Vicisitudes de Despertarse Resacosa con Fred en la Cama y Tener que Llegar Mas o Menos Puntual a la Prueba de "Monstruos Vigorosos de Pechos Lustrosos" featuring Los Fratelli. I'm guessing it reads like the translation of that Welsh village, Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch.

Anyways, this 7-day poll concludes around 11:30am UK time on Sun 16 Feb 2020. Thanks to those who nominated this huge list. I'm off for a lie down, as will you when you finish scrolling through this lot...

Mag the Magician
ImageImage

Mage Rage
ImageImage

Magic

Magic Tokens
ImageImage

Majikazo
ImageImage

Malignant Gore, The
ImageImage

Manic Miner 4
ImageImage

Manic Miner 5: Los Peligros del LSD
ImageImage

Manic Miner 6: The Buddha of Suburbia
ImageImage

Manic Miner 7

Manic Miner - 2000

Manic Miner - The Big Bonus Edition
ImageImage

Manic Miner Turbo

Manic Miner ZX81

Manic Miner: Back to the Mine
ImageImage

Manic Miner: comp.sys.sinclair

Manic Miner: Jet Set Willy
ImageImage

Manic Miner: Matthew Smith 2008 Remix

Manic Miner: Neighbours - Allana Truman
ImageImage

Manic Miner: The Hobbit
ImageImage

Manic Minor's 80's Christmas Shopping Trip, A

Manic Mixup
ImageImage

Manic Muslim
ImageImage

Manic Pietro
ImageImage

Manic Scribbler

Mantra Kill
ImageImage

Marbles of Wisdom
ImageImage

Maria vs. Some Ba**ards
ImageImage

Mariano the Dragon in Capers in Cityland
ImageImage

Maritrini, Freelance Monster Slayer
ImageImage

Maritrini, Freelance Monster Slayer en: Las Increibles Vicisitudes de Despertarse Resacosa con Fred en la Cama y Tener que Llegar Mas o Menos Puntual a la Prueba de "Monstruos Vigorosos de Pechos Lustrosos" featuring Los
Fratelli

ImageImage

Matthew Cranston Battles

Max Pickles Part 1: The Haunted Castle
ImageImage

Max Pickles Part 2: The Mine of Doom
ImageImage

Max Pickles Part 3: The Price of Power
ImageImage

Maze Death Rally-X
ImageImage

Mazogs

Mega Meghan
ImageImage

Merry Christmas From Horace
ImageImage

Metal Man Reloaded
ImageImage

Mighty Final Fight
ImageImage

Mike, The Guitar
ImageImage

Mine Worker
ImageImage

Minesweeper

Mini Explorer XXXI
ImageImage

Misco Jones: Raiders of the Lost Vah-Ka
ImageImage

Mister Kung Fu
ImageImage

Mockatetris
ImageImage

MODERATE RETRIBUTION
ImageImage

Moggy
ImageImage

Moggy Adventure
ImageImage

Mole Rat!
ImageImage

Monkey J. in: The Treasure of the Gold Temple That Was Lost in the Forest Until He (or She?) Found It

Monono
ImageImage

Monstrland: Testimony of the Ancients
ImageImage

Monty Mole and The Lost Souls
ImageImage

Monty's Honey Run
ImageImage

Monty's Last Strike

Moon and The Pirates
ImageImage

Moon's Fandom Festival
ImageImage

Moonscape - Escape from the Moon
ImageImage

More Tea, Vicar?
ImageImage

Moritz

Moritz to the Moon
ImageImage

Morph

Mortal Kombat
ImageImage

Mpthrilla: The Metal Miner
ImageImage

Mr Do!
ImageImage

Mr. Vintik
ImageImage

MultiDude
ImageImage

Mushroom Man
ImageImage

My Rendition of Horace to the Rescue
ImageImage

Mysterious Dimensions
ImageImage

Mystery
ImageImage

Mystery of Ancient Castle
ImageImage

Myth II: Return to Hell
ImageImage
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Re: The best modern Speccy game beginning with M: vote

Post by PeteProdge »

I don't normally vote in these things, but I do know of Mr Do!, and how fantastic it is. Buzzsaw+ and this are the only modern Speccy games I've loaded onto my RetroPie set up on my Raspberry Pi 4..

I'm rubbish at Mr Do. I'm rubbish at the original arcade version.

But I love this. It has my vote.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Mr. Kung Fu all the way!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

... and forgot to add:

2 - Maze Death Rally X
3 - Freelance Monster Slayer en: Las Increibles Vicisitudes de Despertarse Resacosa con Fred en la Cama y Tener que Llegar Mas o Menos Puntual a la Prueba de "Monstruos Vigorosos de Pechos Lustrosos" featuring Los Fratelli
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

On my. This will be a simple choice for many, but it's my hardest choice yet because it means voting for games that I can see are top-notch, but are not really my taste. If it was a list of games that I enjoyed most, it would be something like: Maze Death Rally-X, Mr Do!, More Tea Vicar. However, it feels wrong not to give some other games my vote:

1 - Mighty Final Fight
2 - Maze Death Rally-X
3 - Mister Kung Fu

Thanks again for these polls Prodge. At least that "J" and "M" out of the way!
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:34 pm Thanks again for these polls Prodge. At least that "J" and "M" out of the way!
No probs, it should get easier from here!

And I will do some Reheated Pixels videos on the A-Zs at some point...
Metalbrain
Microbot

Post by Metalbrain »

1 - Metal Man Reloaded
2 - Majikazo
3 - Mister Kung-Fu
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

may i ask, why are all these best game polls time limited? and then, why so little time?
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

MultiDude for me. I think it's actually one of my favourite games of all time.

1 - MultiDude
2 - Monty's Honey Run
3 - Mr Do (as I used to spend many a happy hour playing this in the arcade in Saundersfoot on holiday)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Lethargeek wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:44 pm may i ask, why are all these best game polls time limited? and then, why so little time?
It's so we get to a conclusion, rather than remaining as an unanswered question.

And seven days is more than enough. There's a preceding seven-day window where the nominees can be discussed. I think that's ample time.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

PeteProdge wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:57 pm
Lethargeek wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:44 pm may i ask, why are all these best game polls time limited? and then, why so little time?
It's so we get to a conclusion, rather than remaining as an unanswered question.

And seven days is more than enough. There's a preceding seven-day window where the nominees can be discussed. I think that's ample time.
the more voters, the more conclusive is the conclusion 8-)

right now there are sometimes more games than people voting :(

7 days is WAY too short time, even with another 7 for discussion

some members might be away for a longer time and the newcomers also miss a lot of the older polls

at the very least prolonging the poll time won't hurt anything
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Lethargeek wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:30 pm right now there are sometimes more games than people voting :(
I don't think an extension will make much difference unless it's practically indefinite, and then we'll never see it finished. 1 week seems fine to me. People just need to keep their eyes peeled and encourage more people to vote.
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

I'm for the "one week" limit, plus the previous discussion. Whilst it's not necessarily enough time for everyone to sit down and (re)evaluate the entries it keeps thing moving. (And I've definitely checked it games I've not previously tried on the back of the discussions.)
CLEAR 23855
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

I'd also like some more time. I've missed so many votes by a single day, you wouldn't believe it!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

I'd like to try out a couple more games before voting on this one, though I already know my #1 choice.. :)

Weather is quite bad this weekend so might give me something to do whilst lingering indoors...
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Post by Hank Scorpio »

1 Monty's Last Strike
2 Mister Kung Fu
3 Mighty Final Fight
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Lethargeek wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:30 pm
PeteProdge wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:57 pm It's so we get to a conclusion, rather than remaining as an unanswered question.

the more voters, the more conclusive is the conclusion 8-)

right now there are sometimes more games than people voting :(

7 days is WAY too short time, even with another 7 for discussion

some members might be away for a longer time and the newcomers also miss a lot of the older polls

at the very least prolonging the poll time won't hurt anything
Well, the classic A-Z definitely came to the wrong conclusion on C. As much as I can tip my hat to Chase HQ being a surprisingly fast game that is worthy of comparison to the arcade original, it should have been Chaos.

However, going over 7 days, it's really not worth my time. I started doing this back in 2016. It wasn't even meant to be a weekly thing, I started off with a post listing the 26 letters of the Roman alphabet and asking people to reply filling each letter in with their best game. Although it was a popular and compelling forum post, nobody was satisfied with the end result, so that's why I started weekly polls. And it takes some effort. And I realise it occupies a big chunk of this part of the forum, and hogs the 'most recent' part of the forum at weekends.

I'm happier at the current pace, trying to get through the modern games and then the mammoth task of covering just about every software house that existed. That could take some years, I know.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

PeteProdge wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:53 pm However, going over 7 days, it's really not worth my time. I started doing this back in 2016. It wasn't even meant to be a weekly thing, I started off with a post listing the 26 letters of the Roman alphabet and asking people to reply filling each letter in with their best game. Although it was a popular and compelling forum post, nobody was satisfied with the end result, so that's why I started weekly polls. And it takes some effort. And I realise it occupies a big chunk of this part of the forum, and hogs the 'most recent' part of the forum at weekends.

I'm happier at the current pace, trying to get through the modern games and then the mammoth task of covering just about every software house that existed. That could take some years, I know.
I still don't get what's the problem in prolonging the voting time. You still can add more polls at the same pace regardless.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

1. Mr Do
2. Mole Rat
3. Multidude
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Lethargeek wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:38 pm
PeteProdge wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:53 pm However, going over 7 days, it's really not worth my time. I started doing this back in 2016. It wasn't even meant to be a weekly thing, I started off with a post listing the 26 letters of the Roman alphabet and asking people to reply filling each letter in with their best game. Although it was a popular and compelling forum post, nobody was satisfied with the end result, so that's why I started weekly polls. And it takes some effort. And I realise it occupies a big chunk of this part of the forum, and hogs the 'most recent' part of the forum at weekends.

I still don't get what's the problem in prolonging the voting time. You still can add more polls at the same pace regardless.
Doing these polls, keeping track of them (like, manually counting up the proportional top-three votes) already takes a few hours out of my Sundays.

Yes, I could expand it to 14 days, with new polls added weekly, but I really don't like having to keep track of what's expiring and what's about to start. I don't want to do anything more complex than it already is.

I'm doing this for nothing, I don't get paid to do it. If you have a vital interest in a certain game winning a poll, then all I can say is take a minute out of your life each week to just visit the polls and vote.

As it stands, I'm waaaay behind on my work for the Reheated Pixels YouTube channel. Should have finished that Double Dragon video months ago. I've got footage shot in Berlin last month for a video on the Computerspielemuseum, which I've yet to even view and assemble, and yet, I've booked myself another visit to a gaming museum at the end of this month. I've got masses of other ideas I want to turn into videos and, well, if you see the channel, the last thing I made was in October. I know I can and should do better than this.

I can sometimes spend up to three hours sorting out polls each Sunday. It's not too much to ask the community to visit for a minute within a 7-day window if they want to have their say. (On Twitter, their built-in polls conclude in much less than a week.)

I don't want to add any more complexity to the workloads of these polls than currently exists.

If you want, I'll hand it over to you to manage.
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

So many great games in this section, I could easily have picked a top ten. After a bit of replaying certain games I voted for Monty's Last Strike.

1. Monty's Last Strike
2. Mike, The Guitar
3. Mister Kung Fu

Honourable mentions to Maritini, Mighty Final Fight, Mr Do, Misco Jones, Monkey J, Mysterious Dimension and Mag The Magician.

For what it's worth, I think that seven days is also long enough. I played a lot of the games on this poll directly through this website so it's fairly easy to catch up on ones that I've missed and like the look of during both the discussion and polling weeks.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

PeteProdge wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:49 amDoing these polls, keeping track of them (like, manually counting up the proportional top-three votes) already takes a few hours out of my Sundays.
and nothing will change here except the latency
PeteProdge wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:49 amYes, I could expand it to 14 days, with new polls added weekly, but I really don't like having to keep track of what's expiring and what's about to start. I don't want to do anything more complex than it already is.
Complex? It's no more complex than picking the 1st unmarked entry from the list. As you DO keep some list anyway, right? Even if just to not to make same poll twice.
PeteProdge wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:49 amI'm doing this for nothing, I don't get paid to do it.
and it doesn't seem the result of the each poll is urgently needeed somewhere, so why even set any deadlines?
PeteProdge wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:49 amIf you have a vital interest in a certain game winning a poll, then all I can say is take a minute out of your life each week to just visit the polls and vote.
As i said already, not everyone might have free time each and every week of the year. Especially if he wants to try all the entries before voting.
PeteProdge wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:49 amAs it stands, I'm waaaay behind on my work for the Reheated Pixels YouTube channel. Should have finished that Double Dragon video months ago. I've got footage shot in Berlin last month for a video on the Computerspielemuseum, which I've yet to even view and assemble, and yet, I've booked myself another visit to a gaming museum at the end of this month. I've got masses of other ideas I want to turn into videos and, well, if you see the channel, the last thing I made was in October. I know I can and should do better than this.
And how exactly prolonging the voting time can hurt here? If anything, relaxing the restrictions you put on yourself could only help.
PeteProdge wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:49 amI can sometimes spend up to three hours sorting out polls each Sunday. It's not too much to ask the community to visit for a minute within a 7-day window if they want to have their say. (On Twitter, their built-in polls conclude in much less than a week.)
Again, what's the point to do it on tight schedule?
PeteProdge wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:49 amI don't want to add any more complexity to the workloads of these polls than currently exists.
As i see it right now, you just don't want to make your life actually easier due to a bunch of irrational reasons. This is fine too, it's your life. But i can's agree with your arguments. Sorry to take your precious time to answer me. You don't have to continue if you don't want to.
PeteProdge wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:49 amIf you want, I'll hand it over to you to manage.
if it was me, i'd just keep them open indefinitely :mrgreen:

(re)counting the results only when they have to be actually used somewhere
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Lethargeek wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:10 am
PeteProdge wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:49 amIf you want, I'll hand it over to you to manage.
if it was me, i'd just keep them open indefinitely :mrgreen:
Right, this is absolutely nuts.

I'm sending my votes for the YS Readers' Top 100 Speccy games to Future's Monmouth Street address in Bath and I hope to see the latest Your Sinclair reflect my preferences. Then I could change my mind next month and I hope they update accordingly.

And okay, I'm going to extending voting on all of these polls to 14 days as a compromise to you.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Pheeee-ew. That could well be the most populated poll I'll run in the modern Speccy A-Z games.

There is an overall winner, with 5 votes, it's Metal Man Reloaded.

The much loved Mister Kung Fu is second, jointly with MultiDude, with 4 votes each.

Joint third place, there are 8 games (although skim-reading the following, it reads like a million!), with 2 votes each: Manic Pietro; Maritrini, Freelance Monster Slayer; Maritrini, Freelance Monster Slayer en: Las Increibles Vicisitudes de Despertarse Resacosa con Fred en la Cama y Tener que Llegar Mas o Menos Puntual a la Prueba de "Monstruos Vigorosos de Pechos Lustrosos" featuring Los Fratelli; Maze Death Rally-X; Mole Rat!; Monty Mole And The Lost Souls; Moonscape - Escape from the Moon and More Tea, Vicar?

It's a very different picture on the proportional vote. Many of the same names cropping up from the phpBB poll, but mostly a different order..

Mister Kung Fu 8
Monty's Honey Run 5
Maze Death Rally-X 4
Mighty Final Fight 4
Mr Do! 4
MultiDude 4
Metal Man Reloaded 3
Monty's Last Strike 3
Majikazo 2
Mike, The Guitar 2
Mole Rat! 2
Maritrini, Freelance Monster Slayer en: Las Increibles Vicisitudes de Despertarse Resacosa con Fred en la Cama y Tener que Llegar Mas o Menos Puntual a la Prueba de "Monstruos Vigorosos de Pechos Lustrosos" featuring Los Fratelli 1
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PeteProdge wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:26 am And okay, I'm going to extending voting on all of these polls to 14 days as a compromise to you.
You're the one doing all the work Pete, and we're grateful for it. I don't think you should change the time—you should do whatever keeps it neat and tidy in your head for as long as you want to do them (hopefully all the way to Z).

Also—it would be inconsistent to change now. If you go to 14 days you'll have to go back to A :mrgreen: