Platform games based on album covers

Propose new game/software design concepts or new game/software ideas. They can be as whimsical as you like, just be careful you don't ask someone to make it for you...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Platform games based on album covers

Post by PeteProdge »

Digitiser - that oddball comedy teletext magazine on video gaming made its return to the airw... to the internet today, marking 25 years since it started. 'Mr Biffo' asked for letters. I had this published today, in day one of Digitiser 25...

My tongue was firmly in cheek, but... but... someone should.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Platform games based on album covers

Post by R-Tape »

I don't know about a single album cover, but I'd like to see a Smiths game. Some of the titles are ready made as level names - Rusholm Ruffians for starters. Willy meets the Beatles is a good example of what's possible, but I'd prefer an AGD or hardcoded game to a jsw mod.

Hmmm, would Morrissey approve...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:30 pmHmmm, would Morrissey approve...
I've yet to hear him express an opinion that didn't become immediately null and void the millisecond it spurted out of his mouth.

I despise Morrisey so much, whenever he is in the news, I feel like renouncing my vegetarian diet.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Arf. I have met a few people that can take him or leave him, but he must be one of the most marmite people out there.

I might have a bash at a shortish AGD effort one day, there’s a lot of material there.

Did you have any album covers in mind?
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Some ideas:

The Velvet Underground and Nico
Licensed to Ill
The Division Bell
Master of Puppets
Dark Side of the Moon
Physical Graffiti
Animals
Nevermind
Appetite for Destruction
With the Beatles
The White Album :)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Do we mean one platform game based around a different album cover for each level? If so then I think it's a brilliant idea. If lots of people had ideas and were willing to do graphics & design etc for levels I'd be willing to tie it all together (maybe AGD, maybe hardcoded).

(numerous quick edits)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:11 am I might have a bash at a shortish AGD effort one day, there’s a lot of material there.

Did you have any album covers in mind?
I was playing Mario Bros recently, and the crabs made me think of...

Then I thought of loads of album covers that could effectively be turned into games. Like Metallica's Master Of Puppets; Nirvana's Nevermind; Led Zepplin's Houses Of The Holy... those kind of things.
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:40 am Do we mean one platform game based around a different album cover for each level? If so then I think it's a brilliant idea. If lots of people had ideas and were willing to do graphics & design etc for levels I'd be willing to tie it all together (maybe AGD, maybe hardcoded).

(numerous quick edits)
Write it from scratch lazybones. It is an excellent idea though and I would like to contribute somehow. Maybe I’ll make the tea and biscuits?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I think this has legs but it'd need a large number of people to contribute - fleshed out ideas, graphics, level mockups, music.

If I have time I'll do one mock up this evening (scratch that - this week).

Does this tickle manyone's fancy?
Spud wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:47 am Write it from scratch lazybones. It is an excellent idea though and I would like to contribute somehow. Maybe I’ll make the tea and biscuits?
Deal. Probably.

No biscuits though, I've given them up as my new year's resolution. Tea too. In fact no solutes at all.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

I'd love to contribute, but don't expect to have time until later in the year.
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

Nice idea!

The Wall
Unknown Pleasures
Led Zep I
Bitches Brew
Goo
Out of the Blue
The Eraser
Let It Bleed
Smell the Glove
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I won't be able to code anything for a couple of months as I need to finish another project I've already announced. In the meantime we could chat about ideas and thereby decide if there's enough interest in a group project (unless someone else wants to code it that is).

So, the initial idea is to have a single screen per level platform game in which each level is based around an album cover.

Taking Rorthron's Velvet Underground & Nico suggestion to start with, here's a VERY rough mockup. It's just a starting point. The level could involve collecting objects ( :o !) which peels the banana. Enemies could be syringes and a whipping dominatrix.

Any suggestions how this could develop further?

What could the player sprite be? One that somehow ties everything together or just a generic sprite?
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Your screen mock up is an early contender for the raciest ZX screen of 2018. :) Perhaps you could have a music journalist main character who has to complete an article on the best album covers rather than having to go and create a character specifically for each cover?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

bob_fossil wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:07 pm Your screen mock up is an early contender for the raciest ZX screen of 2018. :) Perhaps you could have a music journalist main character who has to complete an article on the best album covers rather than having to go and create a character specifically for each cover?
Good point Bob. I definitely think the game should be the safe side of adult so it can be available at SC & elsewhere.

Also agree about having one protagonist, the music journo is a great idea. For some reason I've got a picture of 80's music journalists wearing pork pie hats, don't know if that's accurate or not.

Anyone fancy having a bash at player sprite? What size?
standard 16 x 16 pixels or bigger? No need to set anything in stone yet.

(Edit, reworded)