BerZXerk

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
namco
Manic Miner

BerZXerk

Post by namco »

I've placed my ZX Spectrum Next game on hold as Y isn't wrapping and I wanted to double check with the Zeus assembler author that what I'm doing is correct. So whilst I await that I'm starting on a ZX Spectrum title so that I can learn sprites via Z80.

I chose to do Berzerk as I recalled that there were some clones but none that were close to the arcade, however, I did forget about Horace and the Robots. But looking at it, I could make some more minor improvements, like the horizontal scrolling when the player gets to the left/right exit (code that I can take from David Webb's Advanced Machine Code book) and HatR was released in 2017 - so that doesn't make me feel like I'm stepping on that dev's toes.

The first thing I started with was the Currah MicroSpeech so that I can make sure that it sounds good. To learn the allophones I made one phrase (Resistance is Futile) and then I started to code in Still Alive (GLaDOS). Not all of it, but enough to get used to the system:

The rest of the phrases for the game are as follows:
in(tt)(rr)(ou)d(er) a(ll)(er)(tt)
(dth)(er) h(ouu)mano(ii)(dd) musst no(tt) esc(ay)p
(dth)(er) in(tt)(rr)(ou)d(er) a(ll)(er) musst no(tt) esc(ay)p
(ch)ii(ck)en f(ii)ght l(ii)k a r(ou)bot
go(tt) (dth)(er) h(ouu)mano(ii)(dd)
go(tt) (dth)(er) in(tt)(rr)(ou)d(er)
a(tt)ack
(ch)(ar)j
ki(ll)
destroy
(sh)(ouu)(tt)
ge(tt)

I've now moved onto the graphics part, I'll update more when I have anything notable! :)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: BerZXerk

Post by R-Tape »

Neat. And don't worry about stepping on other dev's toes. They don't own Bezerk anymore than you do.

I'll have to try inputting that into currah later. Might follow it with Whistlin' Rick though :)

Keep us posted.
highrise
Manic Miner

Re: BerZXerk

Post by highrise »

You can have AY sounds and Currah Speech in Spectaculator. You need to set the machine to 48k, enable Currah speech in the Hardware options, and then select AY chip from the 'enhanced AY sound hardware for the 48k Spectrum' which is found in the sound options.