The Perils of Willy

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Re: The Perils of Willy

Post by Alessandro »

highrise wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:03 pmI know that I'm not the only author that feels this way
In fact - again - I completely agree with what you just wrote. It's not the "walkthrough" videos I am against; so far I did not object to any of them regarding my games being published, as long as the "at least 1 week after release" rule has been respected. Even if they are made with rollbacks and cheats. After all they can be useful to show other players who don't want to cheat (hopefully) how to negotiate a difficult step, for instance.

It's the rush to be the first to complete the game - without any real skill, on top of it all - and show it to everyone else within a day or so after the title has been released that really annoys me. Maybe, as akeley wrote, such behavior is yet another consequence of two bad habits, namely the irrational desire for instant gratification and the urge to seek other people's attention even just for a quarter of an hour, which plague today's post-modern, technologically advanced societies.

This is not the way I want my games to be played - as one piece of junk food to be devoured, swallowed and excreted the following day. I don't want to sound like an old grump, but I design my games carefully and with players in mind, because I have been a player for decades before starting to create something of my own, and take great care in considering players' suggestions for further improvement. You want to complete the game by cheating? Well that's your choice, I for one wouldn't do it - I resorted to rollback very rarely, for instance for my walkthrough of The Sentinel, because otherwise I would have had to play it continuously for 79 hours, and anyway I tried to stay as close as possible as you would do it back in the day, i.e. taking note of level codes after each playing session. But at least be respectful of all the efforts gone into producing that title and play it for its sake, not because you just want to "put your flag on it". No one is going to award you a medal for that.
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

Yes Alessandro, exactly. And as I said, they often have no real regard whatever for the game itself, it could be any game, they just devour it, post the videos and move on to the next one.
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

One thing I would hope is that if you put in a two-week embargo, but say that if anyone can finish the game 'live' (i.e playing the game with them in a window so you can see they aren't cheating), it would create a possible scenario where people try to finish the game properly.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

highrise wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:20 am yes, on the 15th March I made the first public release of the game, and asked nicely that people don't publish walkthroughs using rollback as the game may not be fully complete.

On the 16th March, rollback is published. So it seems that you guys are stuck with this version now.... :)
It looks to me like it was an oversight or misunderstanding, and not a deliberate intent to disrespect the author. I suspect it won't be happening again with your games. I'm sure we can agree that it's no reason to give it the "and now you've spoiled it for everyone" treatment.
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

You might be right, I was flippant with my original comment but in my defence I did elaborate.

Also, because of the work i do with AGDx I am actually involved in some capacity with quite a lot of other homebrew games. I know the work that goes into these and time and again I see people racing to make rollbacks videos with little to no regard for the work, no comments or reviews. They simply want to be the first to make videos on Youtube for their own hits. So I decided to make a stand for my own principles and call it out for what it is, i.e taking the P?s?.

It's not a question of spoiling it for everyone. It's a question of reconsidering exactly how I distribute the work in the future because although I am happy to do work for myself that I enjoy, share it with people who appreciate it, and help others do the same in a supportive, holistic way, I think I need to consider that (1) there are people who take this model for granted and expect to just take what they want and give nothing back, and (2) I am not willing to accept that this is 'just how things are'. I always believe things can be better.
jetsetdanny
Dizzy

Post by jetsetdanny »

As the author of the RZX walkthrough which was published on RZX Archive a day after the game's release - and then taken down upon request from the game's author - I would like to make the following points:

I absolutely disagree with any requests by authors not to publish things related to their games - which are permitted by the law - after the games have been released.

I understand that an author can request that an RZX file not be hosted somewhere, because an RZX file is also a game file - someone can download it, stop the playback and play the game. That's comprehensible and I *think* an author could even try to enforce such a request legally, since hosting an RZX file might be considered infringing upon their intellectual property rights.

However, I don't believe a video of a game falls into the same category - I don't think it's protected by law the same way the original product is (or a version thereof, like an RZX walkthrough). A video is not a game, one cannot use it to play the game.

Now, if someone asks that a video is not made of a released game - well, you could equally ask: Please don't write any reviews of it for the first two weeks after the release, or don't publish any screenshots. Would that be a reasonable request? No, it wouldn't.

People interested in the ZX Spectrum are mostly adults. They make conscious choices. If a video is available to watch how a game can be completed, nobody has to watch it. If someone enjoys playing games without any help, solving all the puzzles and overcoming obstacles all by themselves - that's fine, they're perfectly entitled and able to do it. Nobody forces them to watch a published video of the walkthrough. However, why should it bother them that there is a video published and that someone else - who makes a different choice and prefers to play the game using some assistance or just watch it without playing it - it's an equally valid choice! - may watch it if they choose to?

Preventing adult, intelligent people from doing things they choose to do is limiting their freedom. It is something totalitarian regimes like to do, to limit or eliminate individual choices. It should not be happening in the free world.

The argument about waiting for 2 weeks before making the video is also lame. The RZX recording I made - and the video made from it - illustrate the game as it is now. It's 100% accurate and up-to-date. There is no reason to say it shouldn't be there or pull it off from a website.

If you release a newer version of the game, Allan, I *will* record a new RZX walkthrough of it. In fact, if you do it several times and release several new versions of the game - I *will* record a new RZX walkthrough of each version, every time you update the game. In this sense, there is nothing to stop you from releasing new versions.

However, to release a game and say: 'Please don't make a video of it yet, because I may still change it!' is unreasonable to me. If you don't want people to show their completion of the game, don't release it yet! Or at least call it a beta release, or something, emphasise that it is not a finished product. Well, "The Perils of Willy" on https://itch.io/ *is* a finished product and you are selling it - or, to be exact, making it possible for anyone interested to download it for free, but also asking for donations. From this point of view, it may be the first version of the product, but it *is* a gamma-released product - otherwise you shouldn't be asking money for it. And if it is a released product, then why should people not record their completion of it - just because you think it's not a good idea?

I will not go into the other aspects of this subject - like the visibility RZX walkthroughs and videos give to a game - because they've been discussed on this thread before and, frankly, are quite obvious.

Since my RZX walkthrough has been taken down from the RZX Archive, I am going to make a video of it and put it online elsewhere, for the sake of freedom of choice and common sense.
jetsetdanny
Dizzy

Post by jetsetdanny »

highrise wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:16 pm Also, because of the work i do with AGDx I am actually involved in some capacity with quite a lot of other homebrew games. I know the work that goes into these and time
I also know the work and time that goes into homebrew games, because I have spent a good part of my spare time in the last sixteen years designing them. And I would *never* ask anyone to refrain from recording a game of mine, or a project I worked on. In fact, I was happy to see recordings of my games published online, even though their quality - from the point of view of the efficiency and elegance of completing the game - was far from my standards. I would *never* think of asking someone to take them down from a website. I feel flattered that someone actually took the time and effort to record them.

In fact, *you* could easily feel flattered - rather than disappointed - that someone recorded your game immediately after it was released. It's just the way you look at it.

highrise wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:16 pm and again I see people racing to make rollbacks videos with little to no regard for the work, no comments or reviews.
Why "racing" is such a problem for you? If something is released, why should anyone wait to complete the game and record the way it's done? How long should someone wait? A day? A week? Two weeks? A month? A year? Oh, you did mention two weeks. But why exactly two weeks? Why not ask people to wait for two months, or two years? Any period of "embargo" on recording the game you might try to impose is entirely arbitrary. I don't believe members of the community should depend on the whims of the authors, who may actually have very different views on the subject. You say two weeks, but another author may say two months, and another one - two years. There is no objective reason for setting any particular "no recording" period. The only reasonable approach is that there is no such period at all - once a game is released, it may be recorded at any time.

Furthermore, are you implying that someone should write some comments or a review in order to be able to record a walkthrough of someone else's game? That writing comments or reviews "justifies" the person who makes the recording, or gives them the right to make a recording, because it shows "regard" for the authors' work? Sorry, but this is just ridiculous.

highrise wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:16 pm They simply want to be the first to make videos on Youtube for their own hits.
I do *not* have a video channel on YouTube and I do not care about any hits. I made the RZX recording of your game because I love JSW games and I considered it the right thing to do and I sent it to RZX Archive as I always do. I had no qualms about it and I don't see any problem with *at all*.

The RZX Archive did not make a video of it - out of respect for your opinion expressed on the game's homepage - but *only* hosted the RZX file (and then took it down when you asked them to). The Archive *did not* have any hits on YouTube from the walkthrough of your game, because they did not make a video of it.

Having said that, I am perfectly happy for the RZX Achive to have as many hits on YouTube as they can possibly get! They are doing a wonderful job and deserve every success!

highrise wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:16 pm It's not a question of spoiling it for everyone.
Of course not. It's obvious that whoever doesn't want to watch the recording, they don't have to do it. People can choose whether they want to use a spoiler or not. It's their choice. Nobody should take the freedom of making this choice away from them by banning the videos!

highrise wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:16 pm It's a question of reconsidering exactly how I distribute the work in the future because although I am happy to do work for myself that I enjoy, share it with people who appreciate it,
I *do* appreciate your work. The fact that I recorded an RZX walkthrough of it - as soon as I could, prioritising it over other things I had to do at that time - bears testimony to it.

highrise wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:16 pm and help others do the same in a supportive, holistic way
If "holistic" means to you "refraining from recording an RZX walkthrough for two weeks if I ask them to", then this is definitely not the true meaning of the word.

highrise wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:16 pm , I think I need to consider that (1) there are people who take this model for granted and expect to just take what they want and give nothing back,
I did give you something back - a nice, smooth RZX walkthrough of your game. You don't seem to appreciate it, though...

highrise wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:16 pm and (2) I am not willing to accept that this is 'just how things are'. I always believe things can be better.
Yes, things can be better if choices - like whether to watch a video recording of the game's completion or not - are made available to people freely, without an unreasonable interference from the games' authors.
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

ok, well let me respond to some of these points. Before I say anything else, of course it is only my opinion. There is not a single suggestion of me telling people what to do - only of me asking them, and explaining my reasons. People have different opinions to mine and I respect that.

I also want to again make the point that I did not intend to single out this individual case when I expressed my opinion. i was talking about the practice in general. As I already said, my remark was flippant, I apologised for it, and clarified my position.

And to be clear - the reason I asked for the RZX to be removed is because unfortunately this method of recording includes a full version of the game, which I wish to only be available through my itch page so that I can monitor the downloads AND make changes to the zip file with bugfixes and updates. It's especially important that this happens in the first two weeks, because this is the time that I usually get bug reports and feedback. It's not a random, arbitrary amount of time, it's based on experience.

As I have said a number of times now. I do not have any issue with anyone recording the games. I have an issue with people using the rollback method to complete games. It's like playing poker but you are allowed to go back if you lose your money and bet again. In my opinion this goes completely against the spirit of the game, and it is especially annoying when it is done on the same day as the release. As I said, I'm not alone in that view, many authors have expressed the same opinion. If you are able to complete the game within the rules of the game, I would 100% welcome it. This is just my opinion, but it is dovetails well with the other reason for asking that such videos are not made in the first two weeks.

Furthermore, I am always flattered that people like to play my games. However, I don't feel flattered when people record videos of every single game that is released, make no observations or reviews of the games, and simply post the videos on Youtube. I am not singling anyone out here, I am speaking about this practice in general.

These are just my opinions. I don't have the authority to dictate what people do with games when they are released, any more than I have the authority to tell people they can't go out and buy a dozen packets of toilet roll. But I do have the right to disapprove of it, and I have the right to reconsider how I publish games, particularly when it seems I am portrayed as some kind of villain for wanting to control the distribution of my work in a way that ensures quality control (which is my right), and for believing that people should try to complete the games in an honourable way (which is just my opinion).
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

Reading back through the thread, I do want to stress again that this is a debate I have been having outside of this forum for a week or so and I recognise that some of my comments appear to have been specifically directed at this rzx recording. This was not my intention at all. In my defence, the original comment by the way did have a smiley face next to it! At that point it wasn't meant as an entirely serious comment.

I admit however that I do have a beef with the recent trend for some Youtube channels to take every single game that comes out, use rollback to quickly complete the game within a day of release, then post a video of that with no creative input in the form of a review. They do this with every single game and it's clearly just a way to get clicks. I am still of the opinion that such a practice is cheap and lazy, and doesn't really contribute anything to the community. Just my view of course.

But to be clear, I don't believe that this recent RZX recording was done in that spirit, and it's unfortunate that this impression was formed. We are all a little more on edge than is probably good for us in the current climate, so hopefully we can put it behind us.

Peace and good health to all.
jetsetdanny
Dizzy

Post by jetsetdanny »

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:11 am
jetsetdanny wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:12 pm However, I don't believe a video of a game falls into the same category - I don't think it's protected by law the same way the original product is (or a version thereof, like an RZX walkthrough). A video is not a game, one cannot use it to play the game.

Since my RZX walkthrough has been taken down from the RZX Archive, I am going to make a video of it and put it online elsewhere, for the sake of freedom of choice and common sense.
Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:11 am I'm not at all sure your legal point is correct. Someone automatically owns copyright in their work, and in "derivative works" from it, which a playthrough video definitely is.
Well, when I put the video online - at the time of my choosing - you will be able to test the legal situation by trying to force me to take it down. Oh, wait a minute! - but you are not the game's author, so you don't have any right to it, do you?

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:11 am However, nobody's actually saying you're a criminal.
Gosh, what a relief! I am SOOO grateful for this opinion of yours, Reverend! You called me an arsehole, but you must truly be a holy man yourself!

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:11 am They'e saying you're a bit of an arsehole, and having read your posts I'd say the evidence is conclusive.
It didn't take you long to solve that one! Why don't you change your nickname to Sherlock_Holmes?

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:11 am You're risking further development of this and other games, potentially depriving everyone of a lot of joy, and for what?
Wow, now you've really scared me! I didn't know I had such powers, it's terrifying! Depriving *everyone* of joy, like the coronavirus...

Do you really think someone would stop developing games only because someone else recorded a video of a walkthrough and made it available to the public? That would be so tragic... and what a sign of emotional maturity!

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:11 am Because you couldn't just wait a couple of poxy weeks?
I would not wait only because *you* think I should, I can assure you of that.
jetsetdanny
Dizzy

Post by jetsetdanny »

highrise wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:01 am We are all a little more on edge than is probably good for us in the current climate, so hopefully we can put it behind us.
I hope so too... especially if Rev_Stuart_Campbell desists from further comments which would call for a response.

highrise wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:01 am Peace and good health to all.
Peace and good health to you, Highrise!
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

It's clear to me that Danny felt that I was aiming my criticism directly at him. Looking back at the thread, I can understand why that was, and I can understand why he would react in that way, especially since his intentions were only to be helpful. It must have felt like a slap in the face, and it's likely that because of that, I came across as someone who is dismissive or arrogant. Hopefully my more recent posts have shown that I'm neither of those things.

Honestly I don't think there are any a*seholes here. This whole conversation could have gone in a completely different way with better communication. My initial remark was flippant, and my later comments came across as personal when they were more general. In my defence, Coronavirus has effectively closed my business, and I'm stuck at home the whole day. I'm not looking for sympathy, we are all in this together, but it does leave us all feeling more raw and vulnerable than usual.

So to be clear, I asked (not ordered!) people not to publish videos of them completing the game using rollbacks in the first couple of weeks for the following reasons:

1) Despite my best efforts, little bugs can crop up. These are usually only found once the game is in the wild and played by a much wider audience. In addition I was thinking about maybe adding some new levels.
2) It was intended as a challenge, to lay down the gauntlet and invoke the spirit of the 80s gamers we once were that didn't have that luxury. Playing games without breaking the rules can actually be fun.
3) I am frustrated at certain channels that use rollback on every single game that comes out within hours to be the first to post a video and get Youtube hits. I still don't believe they make any net contribution to the community.

So with all of that in mind, I decided to ask people to be patient. I would liken it to the situation with the Crash magazine cover where people agreed not to post it online so people could get an old school surprise . It doesn't mean that people don't have the right to publish it, it just means striking a balance between the old and the new, and that is really all I wanted to do.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

I can understand Allan's feelings about it. If it was my game, I would prefer people to play it without cheats...

For my reviews, I have to save my position frequently, because I want to complete the game whenever possible, so my reviews can be more accurate. But I also try the games without any cheats, so I can have a true feeling of the difficult level and the gameplay.

I also test a lot of games before being released, and without cheats I couldn´t do a proper job (time is limited, unfortunately). If it spoils my fun? Probably, but I also have fun writing the reviews and testing the games, so I guess it is balanced... :)

Don't know what rollback is, but must be something like saving the position every level...

Have fun and just enjoy the games. It´s a priviledge for us that after 35 years, still wonderful games are being created for our fave computer. And The Perils of Willy is a great game... ;)

Sorry about my english, but I guess it is better than your portuguese, like I once read in Your Sinclair letter's section... :lol:
Last edited by Andre Leao on Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

Thanks Andre, and actually the way that Andre and I worked together is a good example of how communication makes a big difference. Andre puts a lot of time into writing reviews of games. He has reviewed most of my work and is always honest about it. Some things he likes, other things he doesn't, and that is absolutely fine. He is contributing to the community in his own way and expressing his views.

Because of that, I usually contact him before I release a game. He gets to playtest the game and reports back bugs and so on, which helps me. He agrees not to share the game because it's being tested. At the same time, it allows him to thoroughly go through the game and get a good feeling for it, so that he can have a fair review ready at the time the game comes out. This benefits both sides without interfering with anyone's freedom of expression or right to have an opinion. As I said before, it's not about restricting people, it's about finding balance.
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

But Andre just said that he cheats when he plays (savestates), which is, basically, rollback :roll:
:lol: ;)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

It seems we're more interested in arguing about this than actually playing the game! Except for danny, who has probably spent more time on it than anyone.

Edited typo
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:38 am It seems we're more interested than arguing about this than actually playing the game! Except for danny, who has probably spent more time on it than anyone.
+1 👍
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

jetsetdanny wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:12 pmPreventing adult, intelligent people from doing things they choose to do is limiting their freedom. It is something totalitarian regimes like to do, to limit or eliminate individual choices. It should not be happening in the free world.
"Freedom" does not mean doing what you want without regard for other people's safety and/or feelings. Otherwise I could take myself the freedom to individually choose to publicly define you as an a*****e all over this forum, which I won't because a) I don't think you are :) and b) I don't do such things. Or to point a gun at you and ask you to hand me your Spectrum since I chose it for my collection :lol:

Once again, I am with Allan on this issue, although I can understand Danny's concern.

I too get annoyed by this irrational urge to be the first to swallow a new game and put the results on YouTube, and what's worse, for a foolish sense of self-gratification. Cheats did exist even back in the day of course, and people resorted to them. But there was no internet (for the general user), no YouTube etc. Moreover, you had to wait for months before some POKE could be published on magazines. Many games were not covered at all.

If there is something that can be defined as the "spirit of retrogaming", in my personal opinion, it is the challenge, the beauty of being put to the test and finishing without any external aid. It is not so much the "arrival" that matters; rather, it is the "travel", how you manage to get to the end.

I guess many have been "spoiled" by emulation and the possibility of having information of every kind displayed on a screen in a matter of seconds. But I am not against completing games with rollback per se, although I find it cheap most of the times - not always since I also took advantage of it when recording the RZX for The Sentinel. I am against this malpractice of being-the-first-and-show-it-to-everyone. It hurts me that after spending months on developing a game, I see it completed by cheating on YouTube the day after release.
R-Tape wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:38 amIt seems we're more interested in arguing about this than actually playing the game
As an exercise in retroprogramming, I find it quite impressing. As a game in itself... well, not so much to be honest :)

As for Andre, about 4 times out of 5 I disagree with what he writes on his blog :roll: But I can live with that :mrgreen:
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

I think debate is healthy. It's been interesting for me to see what other people think about this idea. Certainly there is no need to start talking about human rights or freedoms, that really blows it out of proportion.

For me it's about finding ways to develop a healthy, respectful relationship between those who make the games and those who play them. This is not a situation where there are millions of people buying a game and it is done for huge amounts of money. These games are mostly made with care and love for the medium, and are a big part of keeping the scene alive. It's actually possible for me to know every person who downloads my game individually and have a direct relationship with them. And if someone spends hours cooking you a delicious meal, is it wrong for them to suggest you take your time over it? If you decide to just wolf it down like dog food, that is your right - but it's not exactly going to encourage them to cook for you again is it? Especially if you decide to film that and put it on Youtube.

And as for the person who has spent the most time on the game, in the most polite way possible, I think it is probably clear who that is.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I can't take my own advice!
highrise wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:51 pm And if someone spends hours cooking you a delicious meal, is it wrong for them to suggest you take your time over it?
I think it would be wrong to suggest it.
If you decide to just wolf it down like dog food, that is your right - but it's not exactly going to encourage them to cook for you again is it?
Maybe it would, or it certainly wouldn't bother me. Maybe that's how they like to eat. Maybe it means they really enjoyed it. I think this is one of those innate things where you either feel one way or the other.
Especially if you decide to film that and put it on Youtube.
As far as games go, I'm fine with that, but with the food yes it would be a bit weird.
And as for the person who has spent the most time on the game, in the most polite way possible, I think it is probably clear who that is.
If you mean yourself, then I almost put "apart from the author", but felt it went without saying.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

highrise wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:51 pm Certainly there is no need to start talking about human rights or freedoms, that really blows it out of proportion.
This is something that has really riled me about jetsetdanny's reply. It's one thing to have an argument and disagree about this whole thing, but positioning yourself as some sort of crusader-for-freedom here is just childish and silly. I could perhaps understand if highrise really tried to impose some draconian rules or made legal threats regarding his game, but this whole brohuaha is about a really mild request to simply not publish a specific thing for a couple of weeks. I mean - 2 weeks! Even if you think it's lame, unreasonable, or whatever, you could just go along with it for this really short period of time, out of simple respect for the author. It's something those aforementioned "adult, intelligent people" should understand without much fuss.

The other arguments presented are also rather weak. Rollback or longplay vid is nothing like a review/screenshots, so this comparison simply does not apply here. I have yet to hear about a serious review which gives away every plot point and ending. And the "nobody has to watch it" thing is a fallacy - we all know that once it's out there people are very likely to just click through it on the first watch and so are more likely to tick the thing off as "done". Why is it so hard to understand that this is why the "2 weeks" grace period might matter to the author?

Calling the recording of this particular game a "walkthrough" is also kinda amusing - as if The Perils was some hard-as-nails adventure game needing an insta-solution, instead of being just a simple platformer. Now, again, there's nothing wrong with posting such, ahem, walkthrough at some point in time. But doing it instantly against the author's wish, and without any good reasons, tells me it's much more about the simple "first!" urge, than any grandiose concepts such as freedom of speech.
+3code

Post by +3code »

What is "rollback"? Snapshots?
Daren
Manic Miner

Post by Daren »

When recording an rzx file, rollback allows the user to mark a position, which they can then roll back to if they get into difficulty, & try again. It's like saving snapshots but without the actual saving.
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

or put another way, it's like betting in poker, and then when you lose you get your money back and get to play the hand again.
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

it's an interesting debate isn't it. And clearly there are opposing views. That's why I suggested a short grace period as a compromise.

But anyway, I think I've spent enough time expressing my arguments here. Anyone can do whatever they want with the game, but I think it's only right for me to let people know that there are certain things which annoy me, because although you can choose whatever you want to do, you don't get to choose how other people feel about it. So I'm giving you the chance to decide for yourselves whether you want to annoy me or not. I generally spend more time making new games when I'm not annoyed.