Specchums and the coronavirus.

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Specchums and the coronavirus.

Post by R-Tape »

Has anyone come across any good ways to help? Whether financially or physically? Not just relating to the virus, but the economic shock this has unleashed.
llewelyn
Manic Miner

Post by llewelyn »

My neighbour called me up to say he'd ordered us some groceries at Walmart and he was driving down there to pick them up. I thought that was extremely kind as we're running low on milk and dog food and frankly it never occurred to me how useful that service could be.

So that's one way to offer useful help to old folks stuck out in the country with no wheels of their own. My daughters livelihood depends on her small restaurant which is also isolated and she's taken to doing a meals delivery service to the local communities, both retirement enclaves like ours.

Some mostly elderly folk who rely on public transport may find themselves in a bit of a bind, it could be helpful to make a list of those within your reach and perhaps enquire if any deliveries would be needed. If the social services have their act together (pause for laughter) perhaps arrange a pool of like minded friends and suggest to the S.S. they make use of you?

From what I saw on TV England is much better organized than the US where we are and perhaps all those possibilities are already being suggested and taken up. From my own experience I can say that loneliness is very destructive and not everyone even today has a computer to be able to hook up with others on. Not everyone can afford a telephone service either, so maybe that would be something to be aware of.

Its people 'falling through the cracks' that would be my first concern. I'm just suggesting possible avenues of assistance should anyone feel impelled to lend a hand to the less fortunate, assuming of course, they are in a position to do so.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:59 pm Has anyone come across any good ways to help? Whether financially or physically? Not just relating to the virus, but the economic shock this has unleashed.
Hi Dave,

We set-up a WhatsApp group for the road and emailed out instructions on how to install it. The younger members of the road have offered to get shopping from Supermarkets or Amazon Prime. Still looking at ways to practically help.

There is also some free remote access software called TeamViewer if friends need IT support.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

UK on lockdown now. :(
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

RWAC wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:41 pm UK on lockdown now. :(
  • From tonight, people in Britain will be allowed to leave their homes for only “very limited purposes” - shopping for basic necessities; for one form of exercise a day; for any medical need; and to travel to and from work when “absolutely necessary”
  • People are warned not to meet friends or family members who they do not live with
  • Shopping is only permitted for essentials like food and medicine, and people are advised to do it “as little as you can”
  • Police have powers to enforce the rules, including through fines and dispersing gatherings
  • All shops selling non-essential goods, such as clothing and electronic stores, are ordered to close
  • Libraries, playgrounds, outdoor gyms and places of worship are to close
  • All gatherings of more than two people in public - excluding people you live with - are banned
  • All social events, including weddings and baptisms are banned
  • Funerals are not included in the new restrictions
  • Parks will remain open for exercise but gatherings will be dispersed
  • Restrictions “under constant review” and will be checked again in three weeks. They will be relaxed “if the evidence shows we are able to”
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Cheers Peter.

I suppose that means that everyone will be at the supermarket tomorrow morning buying up the entire stock for basic necessities.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

How will we be using the 1 exercise a day? There are some usually quiet paths near me that are good for biking or strolling.

Though I guess everyone else near me is planning to go somewhere quiet...
MatGubbins wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:01 pm I suppose that means that everyone will be at the supermarket tomorrow morning buying up the entire stock for basic necessities.
Hells bells I feel for the supermarket staff. I hope they get first dibs on the new stock, there has to be some perks.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

MatGubbins wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:01 pm Cheers Peter.

I suppose that means that everyone will be at the supermarket tomorrow morning buying up the entire stock for basic necessities.
They shouldn't be, as shopping will still be allowed.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:29 pm How will we be using the 1 exercise a day? There are some usually quiet paths near me that are good for biking or strolling.
I guess we'll be using your local park then! If you could just let us have the grid references...
:lol:
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

MatGubbins wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:01 pm I suppose that means that everyone will be at the supermarket tomorrow morning buying up the entire stock for basic necessities.
Don't forget to buy enough toilet paper!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

If people had followed the guidance over the weekend, I don't think we would be under these additional measures.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.getsur ... 962673.amp
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Honestly I don't get the irony (comrade etc.). We have been living like that for two weeks by now, yet every day thousands of careless (to put it mildly) persons get fined because they fail to comply with such rules, potentially putting everyone's health, and in some cases life, at jeopardy.

As a citizen of the country with the highest death toll due to Covid-19 to this day, I cannot but say: it's about time, Mr Johnson!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Agreed [mention]Alessandro[/mention] , it should have been done earlier.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:51 pm If people had followed the guidance over the weekend, I don't think we would be under these additional measures.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.getsur ... 962673.amp
Exactly, he didn't want to impose these measures but people put their own selfish desires above everyone's welfare.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

I am happy if the moderators wish to delete my earlier post above.

It was intended only as a tongue-in-cheek and light hearted post and is not intended to be upsetting to anyone, posted only for amusement. Not intended to cause upset.

If I have upset anyone, I apologise and am sorry :oops:

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thank you Mark for your apology. Post soft deleted.
+3code

Post by +3code »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:04 pm Agreed @Alessandro , it should have been done earlier.
And you can go out an hour a day, I went out today to buy, 15 minutes or so, after 5 days locked up :lol:
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

+3code wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:51 pm
PeterJ wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:04 pm Agreed @Alessandro , it should have been done earlier.
And you can go out an hour a day, I went out today to buy, 15 minutes or so, after 5 days locked up :lol:
I've been locked in my house since last Wednesday, except for bringing out the garbage twice, and that means staying in the outside for a couple of minutes at best.

Tomorrow I am going to a supermarket nearby to do the shopping for me and my parents. I count to be there at around 7.00 am, at opening time, in order to avoid staying in the queue for too long. It would be especially unpleasant these days, due to an unusual cold wave with frequent rains, a kind of weather we usually experience between half December and late February. It's strange to see clear skies and sun in Rome and Milan on TV while in Sicily we have overcast skies and cold, damp air. According to forecasts, it's going to get worse, with strong rains and snow on the mountains. I just hope this will make more people stay at home. Especially the less careful.
+3code

Post by +3code »

Alessandro wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:22 pm
+3code wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:51 pm And you can go out an hour a day, I went out today to buy, 15 minutes or so, after 5 days locked up :lol:
I count to be there at around 7.00 am, at opening time, in order to avoid staying in the queue for too long.
I thought the same thing last week, but I came across an infinite queue, I found that it's best to go around 13:30, when people are eating, fewer queue.
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

+3code wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:40 pm
Alessandro wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:22 pm I count to be there at around 7.00 am, at opening time, in order to avoid staying in the queue for too long.
I thought the same thing last week, but I came across an infinite queue, I found that it's best to go around 13:30, when people are eating, fewer queue.
Over here in the UK you'd be lucky to find anything left on the shelves at 13:30 :?
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Spud wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:12 pmOver here in the UK you'd be lucky to find anything left on the shelves at 13:30 :?
Agreed, that's why I am running the risk of staying in the queue, hopefully for a short time, on a cold, damp dawn (I usually go shopping between 2:00 and 4:30 pm to avoid queues at the checkout and find parking more easily, not all shops have such a facility here). In addition to that, at that time I must hold an online lesson so I cannot move from home.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Over here in the UK you'd be lucky to find anything left on the shelves at 13:30
Here in Poland, so far the shelves are mostly full, except for toilet paper of course ;)

And when i all just started I made a big purchase of canned meat and other long lasting food ;) I felt somehow
silly about it but who knows what brings the future.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I'd swap this complete set of high-quality toilet paper (three layers, soft touch), for a brand new ZX Spectrum Next, preferably with no use. Shipping costs at your expense.

Thanks.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:51 pm I'd swap this complete set of high-quality toilet paper (three layers, soft touch), for a brand new ZX Spectrum Next, preferably with no use. Shipping costs at your expense.
Just imagine if Henrique Olifiers went to a fortune teller in early 2019, and she described a premonition of the above statement :lol:
+3code

Post by +3code »

Spud wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:12 pm Over here in the UK you'd be lucky to find anything left on the shelves at 13:30 :?
That happened here also the first week, currently things have been normalized, except to buy wholemeal bread (sh*t!), I live in a town near Valencia, the third largest city in Spain, it is possible that in other cities things are different, there is even toilet paper! :lol: