help needed, Spectrum 128K +3 DivMMC and "ultimate play the game"

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
dempsey
Drutt

help needed, Spectrum 128K +3 DivMMC and "ultimate play the game"

Post by dempsey »

hi - I'm not sure this is the right place to ask but here goes, In my youth I had a ZX Spectrum 48k (my first computer) and I loved it very much.

I just recently got both a ZX Spectrum 48K again - neatly in a box with manual and everything but I also got a ZX Spectrum 128k +3e and
a DivMMC Enjoy Pro One - my problem is, that all my old favorite "Ultimate Play the game" such as Pssst, AticAtac, Underwurlde etc.
dont run on my +3 - i read somewhere that I should enter "OUT 32765,48" before starting any of the Ultima games - but on the DivMMC i'm in a filemenu and cant enter any commands.

I would be very grateful if somebody here had some insight in how I get the Ultima games to work.
Firefox

Re: help needed, Spectrum 128K +3 DivMMC and "ultimate play the game"

Post by Firefox »

You could just plug your DivMMC Enjoy Pro One into your Spectrum 48k and play them on that...
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

You still have access to BASIC before you press the NMI button! I don't know why you thought you didn't, as the machine still boots to the 48K BASIC prompt.

Do your OUT, then Press NMI, then load the game from the NMI menu.

I just tried it with Atic Atac on my +3 and divMMC, and it works perfectly.

To get OUT on an Amstrad keyboard that doesn't have the keywords written on the keys, press EXTEND MODE to change the cursor to E, hold SYMBOL SHIFT, then press O.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
dempsey
Drutt

Post by dempsey »

@seven.FFF thank you so much for the reply - just tested and works great, thanks :)
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

This is great, I was just wondering last week why my Ultimate games hang up.

Are there any more known games which do not work on +2 and its ilk, and some workarounds, such as the one above?
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

akeley wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:39 pm This is great, I was just wondering last week why my Ultimate games hang up.

Are there any more known games which do not work on +2 and its ilk, and some workarounds, such as the one above?
If the "ilk" you are referring to are the +2A and +3, take a look here.

The only incompatibility I know of regarding the +2 is that of Three Weeks In Paradise 128 (a cure is provided for that as well).
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Alternatively, if you use the Dr. Slump NMI menu, you can press L when you have the game selected in the menu. It will then lock the paging for you. After that press Enter to load the game.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

XoRRoX wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:56 pm Dr. Slump NMI menu
Sounds interesting, where can I find it? Would it work with every device capable of running Esxdos? (I don't have an official Div, just our local-made one. It uses SD cards.)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Dr Slump (David Pesqueira Soto) posts the updates to his NMI navigator for the DivIDE/DivMMC at the ESXDOS forum (latest release here).

I tried it with the DivMMC and ESXDOS and it worked well.