Specchums and the coronavirus.

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: Specchums and the coronavirus.

Post by Ast A. Moore »

1024MAK wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:06 pm Here I am trying not to get fatter and you’re made me hungry...
Say no to . . . carbs. :D
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:37 pm
1024MAK wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:06 pm Here I am trying not to get fatter and you’re made me hungry...
Say no to . . . carbs. :D
I'm currently down to a meal a day (not hungry once it gets even vaguely warmer) and LESS alcohol (not sure how that's working) and due to inactivity, still the same weight.. :|
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:48 pm One thing I'm missing these days is typical desserts here in Andalusia (and I'm sure in other places) at easter: torrijas and arroz con leche (rice pudding)... *slurp*
Could you make them by yourself Juan? It does not seem very complicated to do.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Alessandro wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:13 am
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:48 pm One thing I'm missing these days is typical desserts here in Andalusia (and I'm sure in other places) at easter: torrijas and arroz con leche (rice pudding)... *slurp*
Could you make them by yourself Juan? It does not seem very complicated to do.

No, they're easy to do.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Some news sites are reporting that the Krakatoa vulcano has started to erupt this last night, along with Popocatepelt in Mexico and another one in Guatemala, something very unusual. In 1883, Krakatoa's ashes reached Europe.

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status ... 59840?s=19

... and for the rest of the world! :roll:
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

The Popocatepetl is an active volcano, the latest eruptions occurred in January and November 2019. The Krakatoa event is more surprising, the 1883 eruption was the last one until today.

Talking about the Krakatoa, why not rediscover this old classic? I spent many afternoons in 1984 (and some more thirty years later for the Spectrum Regulation Play tournament) having fun with it.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Yeah, the first thing that came to my mind was this cute little game:

Anyway, those volcanoes erupting at this very time is just a coincidence, I don't believe in silly procecies!

By the way, speaking of profecies, I read somewhere that the mayans were dislexic, they meant 2021 instead of 2012! :lol:
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

It is not a proper doomsday prophecy without a plague of locusts.... :shock:

2020 is shaping up to be a good year for doomsday prophecy profiteers. Personally, I try to avoid them.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

A very traditional easter classic this: Porridge with minieggs and peanuts.

This dish has an interesting history. It began in the 1400's when the vikings left Scotland to conquer the Mayans of Indonesia. The vikings took large hessian sacks of oats with them on the longboats. When they arrived and did their plundering, they enslaved the natives to do the cooking and stuff. The vikings took a liking to the exotic local foods, and oats became the cuisine of the slaves. Skagaar, the viking king, was especially fond of the local chocolate and nuts, and it was forbidden for slaves to eat such rich foods. To get around this, during the easter harvest, the slaves hid the chocolate in the sacks of oatmeal, giving rise to this combination of ingredients.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

What with that and nettle soup yesterday, I think I will be declining that invitation for dinner [mention]R-Tape[/mention]!
Firefox

Post by Firefox »

Oh, it's Easter weekend, isn't it? That's why you're all making funny desserts and stuff!

I completely forgot. Didn't even get myself a chocolate egg or something.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Firefox wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:22 pm Oh, it's Easter weekend, isn't it? That's why you're all making funny desserts and stuff!

I completely forgot. Didn't even get myself a chocolate egg or something.
Phoned the council yesterday as our bins hadn't been emptied (friday is our usual day). Facepalmed when the recorded message reminded me it was a bank holiday here.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

What's it like going to the supermarkets at the moment? (in any country). I've been putting it off, but in a few days I should probably think about getting a few bits.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:11 pm What's it like going to the supermarkets at the moment? (in any country). I've been putting it off, but in a few days I should probably think about getting a few bits.
Mrs J tried it last week and found it a rather stressful experience with people being very impatient and ignoring social distancing protocols.

One of our local pubs has turned into a click and collect shop, you order online drive up, open your boot and they pop it in. It's more expensive than Sainsbury's, but at the moment I'm just accepting it, and will worry about it later.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

R-Tape wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:11 pm What's it like going to the supermarkets at the moment? (in any country). I've been putting it off, but in a few days I should probably think about getting a few bits.
Surely there's enough nettles, oats and mini eggs in the wild? :lol:

(seriously though thanks for the dm response and you make many good points, I'll respond properly when I'm not on mobile)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:21 pm Mrs J tried it last week and found it a rather stressful experience with people being very impatient and ignoring social distancing protocols.
Yeah that's what I was concerned about. I went to Sainsburies just before the lockdown, and it had a terrifying, dystopian atmosphere, and then again just after it started and it was fine—very calm, respectful, quiet. I'm not seeing as much fast adaptation as I'd like, and maybe social media is covering this in a way I don't know about, but I wish that you could check a given shop's website to see how busy it is right now. It'd help spread the load and reduce stress on shoppers and most importantly—staff.
One of our local pubs has turned into a click and collect shop, you order online drive up, open your boot and they pop it in. It's more expensive than Sainsbury's, but at the moment I'm just accepting it, and will worry about it later.
I've also been resorting to some of the more niche & expensive suppliers to get stuff to my parents, though I haven't resorted to the Ann Summers penis pasta range yet!
DouglasReynholm wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:22 pm Surely there's enough nettles, oats and mini eggs in the wild? :lol:
Hehe. Primrose leaf salad yesterday. I probably shouldn't be eating so many new things right now—this probably isn't the best time to land oneself in hospital!

I would really recommend the nettle tops btw, you'd be surprised how nice they are cooked. The taste is hard to pin down; maybe slightly savoury (and not because of dog wee).
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

R-Tape wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:06 pm I haven't resorted to the Ann Summers penis pasta range yet!
It has a great mouth feel. Allegedly. :lol:
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:24 pmWhat with that and nettle soup yesterday, I think I will be declining that invitation for dinner @R-Tape!
Then allow me the pleasure of inviting you to my dinner. Pizza with certified Campanian buffalo mozzarella, yellow Datterino tomatoes and San Daniele ham. The base was made with half all-purpose flour and half whole wheat, stone-grinded flour, and left to rise for 12 hours. A real gourmet's delicacy.

The image shows the ham half placed onto the pizza after baking, in order to see the other ingredients.

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I stopped homebrewing a few years ago because it wasn't terribly good for me, but just for a change, I put a few batches on to celebrate or commiserate whatever comes our way in a month or so. (Apple & grape left, apple right).

Something to look forward to at least! Maybe.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

That Staedler eraser adds a weird touch to the pic!
Last edited by Juan F. Ramirez on Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:11 pm It has a great mouth feel. Allegedly. :lol:
Back of the net! :lol:
Alessandro wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:20 pm Then allow me the pleasure of inviting you to my dinner. Pizza with certified Campanian buffalo mozzarella, yellow Datterino tomatoes and San Daniele ham. The base was made with half all-purpose flour and half whole wheat, stone-grinded flour, and left to rise for 12 hours. A real gourmet's delicacy.

The image shows the ham half placed onto the pizza after baking, in order to see the other ingredients.

Peter can't make it, he's errr... got to install an update or something. I'll come instead (I'll find the salad en-route).
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

R-Tape wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:22 pm Back of the net! :lol:
Jurassic Park!
Firefox

Post by Firefox »

I'm tempted to make one of these for my next weekly food shop...

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuH20xF3uTA[/media]
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

I think it's more useful in a zombie apocalypse.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Alessandro wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:20 pm
PeterJ wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:24 pmWhat with that and nettle soup yesterday, I think I will be declining that invitation for dinner @R-Tape!
Then allow me the pleasure of inviting you to my dinner.
Accepted! Very tasty.