Specchums and the coronavirus.

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Specchums and the coronavirus.

Post by PeterJ »

If [mention]R-Tape[/mention] is providing the starter with his nettle soup, and [mention]Alessandro[/mention] the main with his lovely Pizza with certified Campanian buffalo mozzarella, yellow Datterino tomatoes and San Daniele ham, I will provide the nibbles to go with the homebrew from [mention]R-Tape[/mention].

These are left over tortilla wraps which were a bit past their best, with salt and pepper and placed in the oven for 10 minutes. Not very technical, but very tasty (especially when you don't want to throw any food away!)

llewelyn
Manic Miner

Post by llewelyn »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:24 pm What with that and nettle soup yesterday, I think I will be declining that invitation for dinner @R-Tape!
Actually Peter, nettles taste almost exactly like spinach. Pick them young and bright green rather than the darker green they turn with age. I did a survival course in the Scouts and thats how I learned that nettles were tasty and useful too, you can make fibre from retting them down like you do with flax.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Interesting. Thank you, I may well give them a go. I do use nettles to make tomato fertiliser.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

We've nearly got a full spectrum computing menu! Who's doing pudding? Juan? Einar? Andre? Llewellyn?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Things have got really bad now. I've started doing jigsaws..

https://twitter.com/jonesyp/status/1250 ... 59618?s=20
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:56 pm Things have got really bad now. I've started doing jigsaws..
Tap twice if you need help.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Firefox

Post by Firefox »

I'm seriously considering SORNing my car and suspending its insurance. I mean, it doesn't look like I'll really be needing it until next winter at least, and getting my groceries delivered would be less risk and less hassle than visiting the supermarket in person...

Hmmm... :?
+3code

Post by +3code »

Firefox wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:52 pm I'm seriously considering SORNing my car and suspending its insurance. I mean, it doesn't look like I'll really be needing it until next winter at least, and getting my groceries delivered would be less risk and less hassle than visiting the supermarket in person...

Hmmm... :?
I agree, and my battery is now 0% loaded 8_(
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:08 pm
PeterJ wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:56 pm Things have got really bad now. I've started doing jigsaws..
Tap twice if you need help.
Haha yeah, not sure what's worse, doing them or doing them and then tweeting about them.. :P

(jk BTW)
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
llewelyn
Manic Miner

Post by llewelyn »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:40 pm We've nearly got a full spectrum computing menu! Who's doing pudding? Juan? Einar? Andre? Llewellyn?
Acne'd Richard, perchance?
llewelyn
Manic Miner

Post by llewelyn »

llewelyn wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:21 pm
R-Tape wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:40 pm We've nearly got a full spectrum computing menu! Who's doing pudding? Juan? Einar? Andre? Llewellyn?
Acne'd Richard, perchance?
https://www.thespruceeats.com/ultimate- ... ipe-435140
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PeterJ wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:05 pm Not very technical, but very tasty (especially when you don't want to throw any food away!)
Which also fits the bill for these (apart from the very tasty bit):

Bucellatum (also known as Roman Army Biscuits, Ship's Biscuits or Hardtack).

I had some old flour that was never going to be used, so made a dough using minimum water, add salt, mix, and baked on the lowest light possible for about 6 hours. The end result is... little rocks that are a dentist's wet dream.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

"Roman Army biscuits" because they are as hard as if they were baked 2000 years ago? :lol:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Alessandro wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:52 pm "Roman Army biscuits" because they are as hard as if they were baked 2000 years ago? :lol:
Pretty much! Things will have to get pretty desperate for me to start cracking into these.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

You never cease to amaze me [mention]R-Tape[/mention]?

What is the closest biscuit you could compare them too (taste wise)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardtack

We made Welsh Cakes this morning. They are like small scones and very tasty!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Taste-wise, they're like any plain water biscuit, the challenge is chewing the damn things. The romans might have occasionally soaked them in wine or beer to make them more manageable.

Your welsh cakes were a much better idea!
Firefox

Post by Firefox »

Man, it's absolutely glorious outside! What I wouldn't give to be sitting in a beer garden will my mates supping some pints and admiring the lasses out in their summer finery...

Ah well, in this week's Russian Roulette trip to the apocalyptic supermarket there was loads of surplus Easter stuff, so I scored two Kinder Easter bunnies and an intriguing low-polygon purple Easter egg. Which is almost as good! :)
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

Has anyone here had it?

My wife was pretty bad with it for a few days - was very close to needing to go to hospital, but managed to just about get the cough under control with Lemsip and a blue inhaler. She barely ate for 4 days. She did try strong painkillers with codeine (which helps with tickly cough), but they cause nausea which isn't great when you're already barely eating. Last two days she's been eating decent amounts of food, so should just be the tail end of the cough.

I had a slightly dry throat for a couple of weeks and a couple of odd nights I woke up all shivery, and found doing cardio and weights to be a bit more of a struggle than usual, but that was about the extent of it for me.

Not really sure where we picked it up, or which of us got it first - it kinda sneaks up on you for a week or two, before it kicks you in the nuts. I think we probably were exposed to it before the lockdown.
Firefox

Post by Firefox »

I wonder if anyone makes a Darth Vader helmet with real filters? That'd be awesome for the trip to the supermarket (don't need to wear the rest of the outfit).

Pobulous wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:11 pm Has anyone here had it?

My wife was pretty bad with it for a few days
I had a slightly dry throat for a couple of weeks and a couple of odd nights I woke up all shivery,
Wow, I'm glad you both made it! :shock:

I had a slightly sore throat for a couple of weeks... Well, if I tilted my head just right and coughed, it felt sore. No fever or difficulty breathing or lethargy, though, so it was probably just paranoia/hypochondria.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

I've just returned to work today after 2 weeks self isolating. My wife had symptoms, a high temperature and flu like symptoms. A few days later she lost her sense of smell. No one else in our household was affected. She wasn't tested so we don't know if she had it.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:12 pm Taste-wise, they're like any plain water biscuit, the challenge is chewing the damn things. The romans might have occasionally soaked them in wine or beer to make them more manageable.
A few years ago (circa 2005, I think) there was a documentary featuring the last few surviving veterans of World War I. One of them told us how hardtack was issued in their food rations because it never, ever spoiled - the downside being that they also found it virtually inedible, to the point where they'd sit in the trenches carving hardtack photo frames with a bayonet. Some things never change.

Suffice to say, they all earned themselves many, many corned beef sandwiches. Bayonets aren't particularly good at opening the tins, though, and it's doubtful that 105 years ago, the tins had those keys on the side. And as a bayonet was all they had to improvise with, they'd use it as a crude tin opener and a spoon, even though about half the corned beef fell into the mud on the floor.

This does remind me... somewhere on my hard drive I have a recipe for lembas bread, supposedly as close to what Tolkien envisaged as possible. It has been suggested by more than one source that he may have been familiar with hardtack as well...
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Most people around here hoard toilet paper and meat. My priorities are a bit skewed, I guess...these are some of my recent deliveries ;)

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I couldn't wait more.

Thanks to the shaving machine now I'm a marine recruit at the boot camp. Semper Fidelis!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:21 pm I couldn't wait more.

Thanks to the shaving machine now I'm a marine recruit at the boot camp. Semper Fidelis!
Haha! I assume you mean that you are now cutting your hair at home? Me too. Though as I get older, I move from ZXDB ID 16 to 30205...