The best classic Speccy game beginning with B: vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

The best classic Speccy game beginning with B

Poll ended at Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:01 am

Back To Skool by Microsphere
13%
Bangers & Mash by Altnerative Software
No votes
Barbarian by Palace
7%
Bards Tale, The by Electronic Arts
No votes
Batman (1986 - Jon Ritman's isometric 3D game) by Ocean
3%
Batman : The Caped Crusader by Ocean
3%
Batman : The Movie by Ocean
3%
Batty by Elite
7%
BC's Quest For Tires by Software Projects
No votes
Beach Head by US Gold
No votes
Beaky And The Egg Snatchers by Fantasy Software
No votes
Beebul by Scorpio Gamesworld
No votes
Beyond The Ice Palace by Elite
3%
Bionic Commando by Go!
No votes
Biggles by Mirrorsoft
7%
Biz, The by Virgin Games
No votes
Blind Panic by Martech/Your Sinclair
No votes
BMX Simulator by Code Masters
No votes
Bobby Bearing by The Edge
7%
Bomb Jack by Elite
23%
Booty by Firebird
3%
Boulder Dash by Front Runner
7%
Bounder by Gremlin
No votes
Bounty Bob Strikes Back by US Gold
No votes
Brian Bloodaxe by The Edge
No votes
Bruce Lee by US Gold
7%
Bubble Bobble by Firebird
7%
Bugaboo The Flea by Quicksilva
No votes
Bumpy by Loriciels
No votes

Total votes: 30

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

The best classic Speccy game beginning with B: vote

Post by PeteProdge »

Two weeks ago we narrowly concluded that Atic Atac is the best classic Speccy game beginning with A. We've just had a week-long discussion on the Bs, and again, there are some outstanding choices that make voting difficult.

This poll runs for 7 days, you're limited to one choice and the poll will be finished just after 10am on Monday 15th. You can change your mind over its duration.

Back To Skool by Microsphere
ImageImage

Bangers & Mash by Altnerative Software
ImageImage

Barbarian by Palace
ImageImage

Bards Tale, The by Electronic Arts
ImageImage

Batman (1986 - Jon Ritman's isometric 3D game) by Ocean
ImageImage

Batman : The Caped Crusader by Ocean
ImageImage

Batman : The Movie by Ocean
ImageImage

Batty by Elite
ImageImage

BC's Quest For Tires by Software Projects
ImageImage

Beach Head by US Gold
ImageImage

Beaky And The Egg Snatchers by Fantasy Software
ImageImage

Beebul by Scorpio Gamesworld
ImageImage

Beyond The Ice Palace by Elite
ImageImage

Bionic Commando by Go!
ImageImage

Biggles by Mirrorsoft
ImageImage

Biz, The by Virgin Games
ImageImage

Blind Panic by Martech/Your Sinclair
ImageImage

BMX Simulator by Code Masters
ImageImage

Bobby Bearing by The Edge
ImageImage

Bomb Jack by Elite
ImageImage

Booty by Firebird
ImageImage

Boulder Dash by Front Runner
ImageImage

Bounder by Gremlin
ImageImage

Bounty Bob Strikes Back by US Gold
ImageImage

Brian Bloodaxe by The Edge
ImageImage

Bruce Lee by US Gold
ImageImage

Bubble Bobble by Firebird
ImageImage

Bugaboo The Flea by Quicksilva
ImageImage

Bumpy by Loriciels
ImageImage

Personally, I'm torn between Batty and Bubble Bobble. In my eyes, there's the best Breakout clone on the Spectrum, vs the near-arcade-perfect delight that is Bubble Bobble. And of course there are many other brilliant titles that deserve the accolade, like Back To Skool and Bruce Lee. Oh, and the various Batman licenses from Ocean. That's just my opinion, don't let that influence your true feelings. (My 'A' choice certainly was nowhere near the top two.)

With 29 different games up for the vote (10 more than the A poll), it's a toughie...
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: The best classic Speccy game beginning with B: vote

Post by Ralf »

I voted for Bomb Jack.

It may be a simple game compared to some other presented here but it believe it's as good as it could be on Zx Spectrum. It's fast, smooth, playable, has nice, clear graphics and is perfect for 10 minutes of instant fun between your duties.

This last factor matters a lot nowadays as we don't have so much time to play long games. Actually I noticed that today, when some very casual Spectrum user takes his machine out of the closet once per year ;) he often nothing else but Bomb Jack. So it must have something special :)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I voted for Batman by Jon Ritman, one of the best filmation/isometric games for the Spectrum, definitely.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

This was quite a difficult one.

I eventually went for Barbarian, as it's the game I played most over the years and got the most enjoyment from.

Bomb Jack a close second.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Uto
Drutt

Post by Uto »

I voted Bomb Jack, one of the best arcade game conversions for the Speccy. There are many good titles in the list though, I could have voted others but I had to choose one :-)
http://uto.speccy.org
Follow me at @uto_dev
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Bomb Jack.

No contest.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Rorthron wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:10 pm Bomb Jack.

No contest.
That's the way it's looking from the first few hours of voting!

Gah, does anybody else other than me, have any love for Bubble Bobble?
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Mike Davies
Microbot

Post by Mike Davies »

Torn between Batman: Caped Crusader and Bobby Bearing. I can't vote for Ritman's Batman because I know Head over Heels is significantly better. Bobby gets the nod, because it's not just isometric, but realtime physics in an isometric rendering: Curvispace.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PeteProdge wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:26 pm Gah, does anybody else other than me, have any love for Bubble Bobble?
I do, but I'm still narrowing down.

Back To Skool
Batman : The Movie
Beyond The Ice Palace
Biz, The.
Booty.
Boulder Dash.
Bruce Lee
Bubble Bobble.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

I’m torn between Batman: The Movie, Barbarian, and Batty. Didn’t play much of Batman, but it’s pretty damn impressive. So is Barbarian. Batty is probably the best Breakout clone out there.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

I was a Biggles fan myself, but barbarian was also cool.
Blerkotron
Dizzy

Post by Blerkotron »

This is much harder than the 'a' vote was. I can see the love for Bomb Jack because I absolutely love it myself, but in terms of sheer time spent playing I think Back to Skool just nudges it for me, and has the added bonus of being a Speccy original.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Back to Skool is almost certainly a great game but you must know what you are doing, which I didn't in the 80s unfortunately. ;)

Actually I don't remember if I had Back to Skool or Skool Daze but this reflection applies to both of them. So I had an "unofficial" copy without any instructions :oops: and completely had no idea what is the goal of the game. So I wondered and wandered here and there, hit a few guys with catapult and probably that's all. It was fun for a short moment but nothing more.

So if you want a simple, funny and not so hard game about school - play Mikie. But if you are after something more challenging, more complex mini world simulation - Skool Daze and Back to Skool will be great for you.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

I enjoyed both Skooldaze and Back to Skool but think I preferred the former.

I thought Back to Skool had a crazy solution to the game, I would never have figured out any of it without reading the walkthrough hints. Even after that I constantly failed miserably to knock the caretaker out or do the bike/gate thing. I preferred Skool Daze, because I always felt as if I was progressing (with those cups you had to hit).
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Post by Wall_Axe »

Had a lot of fun with biggles, it seemed quite satisfying to play.
Bomb Jack was good also, but got repetitive.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

I voted for Bruce Lee. It has one of the most boisterous title tunes on the Spectrum (just edged out by Manic Miner), is a fun little game with a mixture of beat-em up and platforming and one of the small pantheon of Spectrum games I managed to finish without POKES or cheats.

As an aside, I almost (almost, mind) cast my vote for Beebul. This was one of the first bought games I got for my ZX Spectrum. My dad came back from work one day with it after buying it from a record shop near where he worked during his lunch. My brother and I liked it as it loaded quickly, had colourful moving graphics and the protagonist had antlers (I guess it made the collision detection easier). You can't jump in Beebul. You fall down the screen and use the teleport at the bottom to put you back at the top of the screen. I also remember the excitement of discovering you could break into the BASIC on the title screen and edit some pokes to change the starting screen.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Aye Beebul's good fun, well up until the impassable level that is. I didn't play it first time round like you Bob but I've got a soft spot for it too. The BASIC starts the code in a way I've never seen anywhere else: 'IF USR X THEN' , which is a bit weird but it works.

I haven't voted yet but it won't be Beebul!
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Altnerative Software.... eh? Ah! Alternative Software.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

MatGubbins wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:15 am Altnerative Software.... eh? Ah! Alternative Software.
Gah! That typo makes me feel like a right tawt.
Hikaru
Microbot

Post by Hikaru »

Batty is technically OK, but is otherwise largely on the plain side, and is annoying af to play for many, many reasons. I have no idea why it's pinned fairly often as some sort of ultimate Breakout game on the Speccy, which is of course Krakout, by miles, albeit under one very important condition of taking that damn random ball eater out (POKE 50936,201). |:

OT: Batman, cuz you're a Batman and you kick ass (obviously), also there are secret enemy bases and sewer systems where danger lurks, which is cool. At least two of the three games here get it right, I picked the one with no votes as I like them both in their own way.
Inactive account
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Struggling. There's very little wrong with any of these:

Back to Skool - I'll be voting Skool Daze
Barbarian
Batman the Movie - the most impressive but not the most fun
Beyond the Ice Palace
The Biz - maybe the most heart & soul went into it, but it needs polish
Bomb Jack
Booty
Boulder Dash
Bubble Bobble

I'm going for Boulder Dash. You could play it on any other system and it wouldn't be better for it, the same could go for Booty but it's not as much fun.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

It's a tough call. I went for Batman The Movie because it's one I still go back to and enjoy playing probably more than any of the others. Having that thing about "old" old games and "new" old games though, as Booty would be my pick of the older titles (despite being horribly frustrating I did enjoy it). Ultimately I went for the "new" old game because one of the classic Ocean movie titles feels like it needs representation and I can't help but think Robocop has a tougher battle for "R"!
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:34 pmI'm going for Boulder Dash. You could play it on any other system and it wouldn't be better for it, the same could go for Booty but it's not as much fun.
The Atari800XL version of Boulderdash is far far better.

I struggled to pick one here too, too many greats on the list.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

hitm4n wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:36 pm The Atari800XL version of Boulderdash is far far better.
To be fair I've only played 3 versions, and looking at this youtube vid comparing them all does suggest I was wearing my rose tinted glasses regarding the Speccy version. I still like it.

So despite the fact I'm talking crap, my point still stands :lol:
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:07 am
hitm4n wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:36 pm The Atari800XL version of Boulderdash is far far better.
To be fair I've only played 3 versions, and looking at this youtube vid comparing them all does suggest I was wearing my rose tinted glasses regarding the Speccy version. I still like it.
So despite the fact I'm talking crap, my point still stands :lol:
Cool video. The only thing wrong with the speccy version is the godawful scrolling, still hugely playable.
But wow, look at the MSX version! That looks great.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...