+2 azimuth adjustment - Possible to damage tapes?

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
WDeranged
Drutt

+2 azimuth adjustment - Possible to damage tapes?

Post by WDeranged »

I've been trying to dial in the correct azimuth on my +2 and I noticed some tapes needed different adjustments. Anyway I was trying to find a happy medium but I've noticed some damage on the tapes I've been using, vertical impressions. I suspect I've been careless when tightening the adjustment screw and damaged the tapes. Is this actually possible?
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Re: +2 azimuth adjustment - Possible to damage tapes?

Post by 1024MAK »

The adjustment screw for setting the correct azimuth is well clear of the tape path. The adjustment range is small, so you can’t completely misalign the head. Unless all the tapes were produced (recorded) on the exact same machine, there will not be a perfect setting for the azimuth. It’s always a compromise.

It’s far more likely that either the head gap is full of crud and it is this crud that is damaging the tapes, or the tapes have degraded and the very slight friction is causing the magnetic coating to come away from the backing (which will also fill the head gap with crud).

If the tapes have degraded, you will have dropouts and may need to clean the head after using each tape...

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

If they’re regularly spaced marks it can also be crud on the pinch roller. I think I’ve seen that in the past.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
WDeranged
Drutt

Post by WDeranged »

Thanks for the replies. Putting my mind at ease. I've only seen the marks on two Dizzy games I recently got from the same dealer on ebay. It does look like the kind of damage a pinch roller could cause.

I've just tested a copy of Oh Mummy that I'm not bothered about damaging and I can't replicate the marks so it looks like maybe the Dizzy tapes arrived with this damage. Slightly frustrated about that but at least I'm 90% sure my Speccy isn't a tape destroyer.
WDeranged
Drutt

Post by WDeranged »

Hmm. On second thoughts something does seem to be damaging the tapes. Treasure Island Dizzy won't even load any more. It does look very much like damage from the capstan/roller but they are both spotless.

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the new belts are too tight? I've been playing these tapes for a couple of weeks and this only started happening after the belt replacement.
WDeranged
Drutt

Post by WDeranged »

It's looking like maybe it was an issue with the pinch roller. I think my initial cleaning with isopropyl and a cotton bud might have worn the rubber smooth. I've roughed the surface with some fine sand paper and so far I've not had any damage while testing old (sacrificial) tapes.