Re: Classical music in Spectrum games and demos

On the creation of AY or Beeper music, including the packages used to do so.
zxbruno
Manic Miner

Post by zxbruno »

I play by ear (don't know music notation) and have noticed over the years how some music can sound too slow, too fast, or have some notes off key when converted to a computer tune. I understand music covers are subject to interpretation and sometimes artists change notes here and there and come up with their own version of the tune. Nonetheless, I'm hoping my request below makes sense.

Is there a list of all Spectrum games and demos that use classical music, and the name of the tunes used? I'm particularly interested in music that sounds close to the original but wouldn't mind getting the full list instead. The first examples of better music that come to mind are the AY tune during gameplay in Psycho Pigs and the short Beeper tune in CDS Pool before the game starts. Manic Miner would be an example of music with some notes that don't sound right, but maybe it was done that way intentionally.

I also wonder, for example, if anyone has made a decent cover of Toccata and Fugue in D Minor on our humble Spectrum. The few ones I found on YouTube sound too fast. There's one where the author used Excel and tried to get the Beeper to play 5 voices, but some notes don't sound right.

P.S. Please move to music forum if necessary

Comment added by PJ - 04/05/2020 (11:00) - Thanks - Moved to Music
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Some years ago I asked the same question in the WoS forum, but at present it is inaccessible because that website is migrating to a new server. Will copy the relevant link here as soon as possible.

I took inspiration from classical music many times for my own games:
  • Lost In My Spectrum: excerpts from: Edvard Grieg, Suite op. 46 - In The Hall Of The Mountain King; Johann Strauss Sr., Radetzky-Marsch op. 228 (both references to other Spectrum games, namely Manic Miner and Technician Ted)
  • Apulija-13: first bars of Sergej S. Prokof'ev, Romeo And Juliet op. 64 - 2-13, Dance Of The Knights
  • Funky Fungus/Funky Fungus Reloaded: excerpts from: Antonio Vivaldi, The Four Seasons op. 8, RV 269 - Spring: I. Allegro; Modest P. Mussorgskij, Pictures Of An Exhibition: I. Gnomus
  • Sophia: Wolfgang A. Mozart, Dies Irae from the Requiem in D minor, K. 626
  • Sophia II: Camille Saint-Saëns, Danse Macabre op. 40; Dmitrij Shostakovich, Suite for Variety Orchestra - VII: Waltz n. 2; Gioacchino Rossini, William Tell - Ouverture (finale); Jean-Joseph Mouret, Fanfare for trumpet, violin, oboes and timpani, I. Allegro
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Post by Hank Scorpio »

Antics from Bugbyte Software has a rendition of Toccata and Fugue as its in-game music.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

zxbruno wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:00 am I . . . have noticed over the years how some music can sound too slow, too fast, or have some notes off key when converted to a computer tune.
I understand what you’re getting at, and I think most of it is down to the programmers not being very musical, or not caring enough to produce a decent rendition. That said, tempo is classical music is a very . . . let’s just say touchy subject. Since it’s not codified (unlike in modern beat-driven music), it’s always subject to the performer’s (conductor’s) interpretation. From a perspective of a jazz/rock musician, most classically trained performers just don’t posses the sense of rhythm. This perception is, of course, erroneous. I’ve recorded many classically trained musicians over time and it takes a while to make them understand how a musical grid works in a non-orchestral arrangement. Some get it instantly, some take their time, and some just don’t get it at all.

My point is, in classical music music, rhythm is interpreted and felt very differently from its modern-day counterparts.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Hank Scorpio wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:36 am Antics from Bugbyte Software has a rendition of Toccata and Fugue as its in-game music.
and another one from the same house:
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RGlKJJRMQU[/media]
@ 2:23
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoV2YOjFowY[/media]
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

I think my favourite classical tune is the Dynamite Dan menu screen (Mozart I think?). But then when the author (Rod Bowkett) is a composer/musician as well as a programmer, you'd probably expect it to sound good. :)

One thing I didn't realise until my first foray into writing beeper music in assembly - you don't always need to worry about getting the exact correct key/frequency for the tune. As long as all the notes are correct relative to each other it'll sound OK to most people.

Though I'd guess that if you had perfect pitch you'd probably be able to tell it's not quite right? Or if you played it along with the original.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

It's nothing to do with classical musicians having no sense of timing. Classic musical often has changes of tempo as an integral part of the piece... Take for example the very famous Toccata and Fugue in D Minor... chosen because most people will be very familiar with it...

Not only are the two sections of that piece of music (shown) played at two completely different metronome tempos (60 and 160 beats per minute), there are multiple fermata notes (denoted by the little "eyes"...) where the note and the tempo is held up, and a the very famouse ralentando section (denoted by rall.) where there is a gradual slowing of the tempo as the noise builds up.

And that's without even starting to consider the use of sustain, dynamics (loud and soft) or timbre. It's no wonder that 8-bit computerised classical music sounds different!

All these elements are open to interpretation. This is why orchestras have conductors.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Morkin wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:02 pmI think my favourite classical tune is the Dynamite Dan menu screen (Mozart I think?).
Yes, it's the beginning of the piano sonata No. 11 in A major, K. 331, III. Alla turca.

An integration to my previous list. Lost In My Spectrum plays the beginning of Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy's Lerchengesang (from Der erste Frühlingstag Op. 48) when you complete the game.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Another classic one: Sabre Wulf includes a lovely music intro
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:12 pm Another classic one: Sabre Wulf includes a lovely music intro
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3qnL9ddHuw[/media]
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Beethoven, Sonata number 14 ("Moonlight Sonata") on JSW title screen
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

PeterJ wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:02 pm This is quite an interesting read:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04/3 ... um_manual/
Not on the Spectrum, but when I was looking at old episodes of '4 Computer Buffs', I found this original performance from around 1985 using Commie 64s.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

I've consolidated the information in this thread and the old one on WoS in the lists below. I've included both classical and non-classical music in separate lists (except where a game has both). Might they be included in ZXDB? Both classical and non-classical seem worthy of inclusion to me.

I've also tidied up the presentation a bit. I've used a comma as the delimiter between the game title and the music information. But the overall presentation could be made more consistent, and the content probably needs checking and correcting (I've done neither). I've used a question mark to denote cases where doubt was expressed.

Classical:

Alien Evolution, unknown by Mozart
Antics, J.S. Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor
Apulija-13, first bars of Sergej S. Prokof'ev's Romeo And Juliet op. 64 - 2-13 Dance Of The Knights
The Birds and the Bees, Flight of the Bumblebee by Rimskij-Korsakov
The Bulge, opening chords of Beethoven's 5th
Brainstorm, (128K) Alla Turca by Mozart
Circus Games, Entry of the Gladiators by Fucik
Dynamite Dan 2, Maple Leaf Rag by Joplin; Mozart's Sonata in C (the first record); other records unknown
Dynamite Dan, Mozart's Rona Ala Turker (title page)
Earthlight, (128K) Antonio Vivaldi the first movement of the concert L'Autunno (The Autumn) from Le quattro stagioni (The four seasons)
Elite, unknown
Farenheit 3000, Toccata
Fox Fights Back, a medley of three different tunes: 1) about half of Les Tor?adors the Introduction to Act I of Bizet's Carmen; 2) the opening of the first novement of Mozart's Symphony No. 40; 3) Johannes Brahm's Hungarian Dance No. 5
Funky Fungus/Funky Fungus Reloaded, excerpts from Antonio Vivaldi's The Four Seasons op. 8 RV 269 - Spring: I. Allegro; Modest P. Mussorgskij's Pictures Of An Exhibition: I. Gnomus
High Noon, the "funeral march" from the third movement of Chopin's Piano Sonata No. 2 (every time one of the gunfighters gets killed)
Horace and the Spiders, unknown
Hunchback 2, William Tell Overture by Rossini
Jet Set Willy, Opening lines of L.V. Beethoven's Sonata no 14 (Moonlight Sonata) for piano solo (first movement) (title screen)
Leisure Genius's Cluedo, unknown classical music pieces (just before you get to roll the dice)
Lode Runner, (128K) Bach's Jesu: Joy of Man's Desiring
Lost In My Spectrum, excerpts from: Edvard Grieg's Suite op. 46 - In The Hall Of The Mountain King; Johann Strauss Sr.'s Radetzky-Marsch op. 228; the beginning of Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy's Lerchengesang (from Der erste Frühlingstag Op. 48) (when you complete the game)
Mad Mix Game, 1) First movement of L.v. Beethoven's 5th symphony; 2) Minuetto (3rd movement) from Luigi Boccherini's string quintet op.13 n.5; 3) Air from Gioacchino Rossini's Il barbiere di Siviglia; 4) Unknown but probably a cantata by J.S. Bach.
Manic Miner, Blue Danube waltz by Johann Strauss Jr (title screen); Theme from Hall of the Mountain King from Edvard Grieg's Peer Gynt (in-game)
Mermaid Madness, Dance of the F?e Drag?e from P.I. Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker ballet suite
Moon Alert, Ride of the Valkyries by Wagner
Mutant Monty, the beginning of Grieg's piano concerto
Olli and Lissa, unknown
Phantom Club, Opening lines of J.S. Bach's Third Brandeburg Concerto (first movement)
Riptoff's help program, J.S. Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor
Rockman (Mastertronic), one of the movements of Mozart's Eine Kleine Nacht Music (title theme)
Sabre Wulf, prelude from J.S. Bach's The Well-Tempered Klavier
Sanxion, The Romeo and Juliet Suite?
Sophia II, Camille Saint-Saëns' Danse Macabre op. 40; Dmitrij Shostakovich's Suite for Variety Orchestra - VII: Waltz n. 2; Gioacchino Rossini's William Tell - Ouverture (finale); Jean-Joseph Mouret's Fanfare for trumpet violin oboes and timpani I. Allegro
Sophia, Wolfgang A. Mozart's Dies Irae from the Requiem in D minor K. 626
Specventure (Mastertronic), listed in the in-game instructions
Super Mutt, Opening lines of the ouverture from Gioacchino Rossini's Guglielmo Tell
Sweevo's World, Washington Post March by Sousa
Tai-Chi Tortoise, Horn Concerto #4 Mvmt 3 by Mozart
Tapper, the Can-Can from Carmen at some point?
Technician Ted, Blue Danube waltz by Johann Strauss Jr; Johann Strauss Jr.'s Radetzkymarsch (in-game)
Turmoil, the "toreador" thing from Bizet's Carmen
Zarjas, unknown by J.S. Bach

Non-classical:

The Archers, Barwick Green by Wood
Blacklamp, (128K) a rewrite/remix of Greensleeves?
Camelot Warriors (Dinamic Software), Scarborough Fair
Jet Set Willy, If I Were a Rich Man
Mikie, Hard Days Night
Monty Mole, Colonel Bogey March by Alford
Where Time Stood Still, Jerusalem (but doesn't get used)
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

With that little bit of "non-classical" tacked on the end, I wonder if it's worth mentioning Oddi The Viking? Something tells me I should recognise the opening tune...

Daren's RZX Archive video has 30 seconds of it.

I also heard it mentioned somewhere that the lunatic-fast version of Toccata & Fugue in D Minor used in Antics was based on Sky's 1980 version than Bach's original. Can anyone confirm this?

Rick Dangerous isn't listed here, and that's a game I know more about that most. Toccata & Fugue - similar to the version found in Antics - is the opening tune for Schwarzendumpf Castle, Dance of the Knights introduces the Missile base, and the very familiar Egypt tune is best described as "Trad. Arabic". As far as I know, the South America tune plus everything in Rick Dangerous II is original music for the game.

I loaded Olli & Lissa, and couldn't identify the tune. It sounds off-key, as if written on a QL, but there's a slight sniff of John Philip Sousa about it. And my knowledge of bach isn't enough to identify the tune of Zarjas.

Talking of which, Monty Python's Flying Circus should be on the list somewhere, as the theme tune for the TV series, and hence also this game, was Sousa's Liberty Bell March. And as if to blow my own trumpet... or maybe, sousaphone... I've included the Liberty Bell March and two other Sousa compositions, The Washington Post (as with Sweevo's World) and Stars And Stripes Forever (that's the "here we go" tune, so probably present in a football game of some description) in Corona Capers, along with the national anthem of the United States of Trump (written on this side of the Atlantic, if you didn't know...), and the opening chords of the Chinese national anthem. Oh, and Iron Maiden's "Virus" as well... on that note, I suppose we could ask Daren if any more RZX Archive videos have felt the icy glare of copyright strikes over them from the intro music?
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Wham! Music box (Melbourne House)
Music Box 128K and 48K (Melbourne House) editions - they have different songs on them.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

I made several corrections to Rothron's list.

Alien Evolution: W.A. Mozart, Symphony No. 40 in G minor K 550, I. Molto allegro
Brainstorm (128K)/Dynamite Dan: W.A. Mozart, Piano Sonata n. 11 K 331, III. Rondò alla turca
The Birds and the Bees: N.A. Rimskij-Korsakov, Flight of the Bumblebee, from The Tale Of Tsar Saltan, III, 2
Circus Games: Julius Fučík, Entry of the Gladiators op. 68.
Farenheit 3000: J.S. Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D minor BWV 565
Moon Alert: R. Wagner, "Ride of the Valkyries" from Die Walküre WWV 86B, act III
Rockman (Mastertronic): W.A. Mozart, Serenade No. 13 for strings in G major "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" K 525, I. Allegro
Sabre Wulf: J.S. Bach, Prelude and Fugue in C major BWV 846 (No. 1 of The Well-Tempered Clavier)
Turmoil: G. Bizet, refrain of "Votre toast, je peux vous le rendre", from Carmen, act II

Plus:

Horace and the Spiders: there's no music at all there!
Cluedo: just a bunch of beeps put together
Sanxion: music by Wally Beben from an original composition by Rob Hubbard (read the scrolling message in the 128K version's main menu!)
Tapper: no classical music (if what goes on during the game can be called music... :o )

Finally, I am not listing non-classical tunes since this topic is about classical music, actually :roll:
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Thanks, @Alessandro.

I'll update the list in a separate thread, since the discussion has moved away from the original topic.

Edit: see viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2669 for the new thread.