Music references

This is the place to request ZXDB corrections (add missing data or fix incorrect information)

Moderators: druellan, pavero

Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Music references

Post by Rorthron »

As discussed in the other thread, could we consider adding music references to ZXDB? They could perhaps be included as notes.

I’ve updated the list of music references below, using this time a colon as a delimiter between game name and music credit. I've used a question mark to denote cases where doubt was expressed.

I repeat that I am just collating others’ information. I have not verified any of the information.

I've split the list between classical and non-classical, except where a title contains both.

Classical:

Alien Evolution: W.A. Mozart, Symphony No. 40 in G minor K 550, I. Molto allegro
Antics: J.S. Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor
Apulija-13: first bars of Sergej S. Prokof'ev's Romeo And Juliet op. 64 - 2-13 Dance Of The Knights
The Birds and the Bees: N.A. Rimskij-Korsakov, Flight of the Bumblebee, from The Tale Of Tsar Saltan, III, 2
The Bulge: opening chords of Beethoven's 5th
Brainstorm: (128K) W.A. Mozart, Piano Sonata n. 11 K 331, III. Rondò alla turca
Circus Games: Julius Fučík, Entry of the Gladiators op. 68.
Dynamite Dan: W.A. Mozart, Piano Sonata n. 11 K 331, III. Rondò alla turca
Dynamite Dan 2: Maple Leaf Rag by Joplin; Mozart's Sonata in C (the first record); other records unknown
Earthlight: (128K) Antonio Vivaldi the first movement of the concert L'Autunno (The Autumn) from Le quattro stagioni (The four seasons)
Elite: unknown
Farenheit 3000: J.S. Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D minor BWV 565
Fox Fights Back: a medley of three different tunes: 1) about half of Les Tor?adors the Introduction to Act I of Bizet's Carmen; 2) the opening of the first novement of Mozart's Symphony No. 40; 3) Johannes Brahm's Hungarian Dance No. 5
Funky Fungus/Funky Fungus Reloaded: excerpts from Antonio Vivaldi's The Four Seasons op. 8 RV 269 - Spring: I. Allegro; Modest P. Mussorgskij's Pictures Of An Exhibition: I. Gnomus
High Noon: the "funeral march" from the third movement of Chopin's Piano Sonata No. 2 (every time one of the gunfighters gets killed)
Hunchback 2: William Tell Overture by Rossini
Jet Set Willy: Opening lines of L.V. Beethoven's Sonata no 14 (Moonlight Sonata) for piano solo (first movement) (title screen)
Lode Runner: (128K) Bach's Jesu: Joy of Man's Desiring
Lost In My Spectrum: excerpts from: Edvard Grieg's Suite op. 46 - In The Hall Of The Mountain King; Johann Strauss Sr.'s Radetzky-Marsch op. 228; the beginning of Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy's Lerchengesang (from Der erste Frühlingstag Op. 48) (when you complete the game)
Mad Mix Game: 1) First movement of L.v. Beethoven's 5th symphony; 2) Minuetto (3rd movement) from Luigi Boccherini's string quintet op.13 n.5; 3) Air from Gioacchino Rossini's Il barbiere di Siviglia; 4) Unknown but probably a cantata by J.S. Bach.
Manic Miner: Blue Danube waltz by Johann Strauss Jr (title screen); Theme from Hall of the Mountain King from Edvard Grieg's Peer Gynt (in-game)
Mermaid Madness: Dance of the F?e Drag?e from P.I. Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker ballet suite
Moon Alert: R. Wagner, "Ride of the Valkyries" from Die Walküre WWV 86B, act III
Mutant Monty: the beginning of Grieg's piano concerto
Olli and Lissa: unknown
Phantom Club: Opening lines of J.S. Bach's Third Brandeburg Concerto (first movement)
Riptoff's help program: J.S. Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor
Rockman (Mastertronic): W.A. Mozart, Serenade No. 13 for strings in G major "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" K 525, I. Allegro
Sabre Wulf: J.S. Bach, Prelude and Fugue in C major BWV 846 (No. 1 of The Well-Tempered Clavier)
Sophia II: Camille Saint-Saëns' Danse Macabre op. 40; Dmitrij Shostakovich's Suite for Variety Orchestra - VII: Waltz n. 2; Gioacchino Rossini's William Tell - Ouverture (finale); Jean-Joseph Mouret's Fanfare for trumpet violin oboes and timpani I. Allegro
Sophia: Wolfgang A. Mozart's Dies Irae from the Requiem in D minor K. 626
Specventure (Mastertronic): listed in the in-game instructions
Super Mutt: Opening lines of the ouverture from Gioacchino Rossini's Guglielmo Tell
Sweevo's World: Washington Post March by Sousa
Tai-Chi Tortoise: Horn Concerto #4 Mvmt 3 by Mozart
Technician Ted: Blue Danube waltz by Johann Strauss Jr; Johann Strauss Jr.'s Radetzkymarsch (in-game)
Turmoil: G. Bizet, refrain of "Votre toast, je peux vous le rendre", from Carmen, act II
Zarjas: unknown by J.S. Bach

Non-classical:

The Archers: Barwick Green by Wood
Blacklamp: (128K) a rewrite/remix of Greensleeves?
Camelot Warriors (Dinamic Software): Scarborough Fair
Jet Set Willy: If I Were a Rich Man
Mikie: Hard Days Night
Monty Mole: Colonel Bogey March by Alford
Where Time Stood Still: Jerusalem (but doesn't get used)
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Re: Music references

Post by Rorthron »

Additions from the other thread:

Rick Dangerous: Toccata & Fugue is the opening tune for Schwarzendumpf Castle, Dance of the Knights introduces the Missile base

Corona Capers: Liberty Bell March and two other Sousa compositions, The Washington Post and Stars And Stripes Forever, the national anthem of the USA, the opening chords of the Chinese national anthem, and Iron Maiden's "Virus"
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Rorthron wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:38 pm As discussed in the other thread, could we consider adding music references to ZXDB? They could perhaps be included as notes.
Good idea! Please keep posting this information here, we will certainly do it.

BTW my apologies that we are still behind on updating ZXDB with all these kinds of suggestions. Nowadays there's more people reporting these things, than people working on database updates, so it takes time. But please don't stop reporting them in this forum! We are gradually going through every post and we will get everything done eventually.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

This is an odd one: "A Whole New Ball Game" by Pete Cooke, only on a Crash covertape in July 1989.
W.A. Mozart, Serenade No. 13 for strings in G major "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" K 525, I. Allegro
(i.e. the same music as Rockman, which occurred on a Crash tape the next month...)
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Gah! Can't edit the last post (Is there a time restriction?) but staying with the Crash covertapes, I've found some more to add to the lists, both classical and non-classical:

Eskimo Eddie (Ocean, also Crash February 1990) - and, as I should have remembered, also Old Tower (Denis Grachev / Retrosouls): Gershon Kingsley / Hot Butter / anyone else who's covered it - "Popcorn" (in Eskimo Eddie, it's approximate, but recognisable; Old Tower's rendition is far better. And I know there's another game that has a crude 48K beeper version during play, it's a JSW-style platformer, not necessarily a JSW hack, possibly a modern, but I can't remember what it is off the top of my head...)

Egghead (i.e. Jonathan Cauldwell's original Egghead game from 1989): Jesús González Rubio - "Jarabe Tapatío" ("The Mexican Hat Dance" - widely recognised outside Mexico)

Doomskulle (Crash June 1990): Beethoven - "Für Elise" (and there must be another game or six that this is heard in - I'm fairly sure it's one of those that Specventure uses but isn't directly listed here.)

Gladiator: Julius Fučík - "Entry of the Gladiators" op. 68. (Same as Circus Games.)

Gunhead (Hellenic Software, probably only published by Crash): Europe - "The Final Countdown"

Egghead To The Rescue (the second Egghead game) - Jacques Offenbach - "Orphée aux enfers - Galop Infernal" (a.k.a. "the can-can music")

North and South (at least what I hear on the demo, check the full game and there may be more): "Yankee Doodle Dandy" (anon. probably trad. and may not even be American) and Daniel Decatur Emmett - "Dixie" / "In Dixie's Land" (whatever we're calling it).

Draughts Genius: Scott Joplin - "Maple Leaf Rag"; also, I recognise the title screen tune, as will everyone else, but don't know it's actual name...

And now some not from the Crash Powertape collection...

Mushroom Mania (Arcadia, probably 1983) has fragments from: Daniel Decatur Emmett - "Dixie" / "In Dixie's Land"; "When The Saints Go Marching In" (anon., probably trad. American?); "The Star-Spangled Banner" / the National Anthem of 'MURICA.

I am also surprised that nobody has yet mentioned the Anthems from the 128K version of Auf Wiedersehen Monty. These are the Anthems when entering the following countries:
Gibraltar and Montos: "God Save The Queen" (do I need to elaborate further?)
Spain: Leo Caerts / Leo Rozenstraten - "Y Viva España" (recorded by more different artists than I've had hot dinners, so it seems)
France: "La Marseillaise"
West Germany: "Das Lied der Deutschen"
Austria: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - "Symphony No. 40"
Netherlands: Klaus Günter Neumann et al. - "Tulips from Amsterdam"
Sweden: "The Swedish Chef's Theme" (by whoever write the music cues from The Muppet Show - Jim Henson, or...?)
Italy: Eduardo di Capua, Alfredo Mazzucchi, Giovanni Capurro - "O Sole Mio"
Greece: (apparently) Joseph Stein, Fred Ebb, John Kander - "Zorba" (or so I heard; best to check this one)
Any communist country (at the time: East Germany, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia): "The Red Flag", a.k.a. "O Tannenbaum", a.k.a. "Es lebe hoch der Zimmermannsgeselle", a.k.a. "Lauriger Horatius"; probably composed by Melchior Franck (1579-1639)
"Moledavia" - no idea... may have been composed for the game.
Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland and Denmark don't get an anthem, and Monaco was considered part of France...

Also, now that we're including non-classical soundtracks, another one that was blatant and obvious is CRL's The War Of the Worlds, based on Jeff Wayne's Excellent Musical Version Of "The War of The Worlds" rather than the book itself, and containing cues from "The Eve Of The War" (and probably other bits and pieces throughout the album).

Also also, Rorthon brought over my additions from the other thread but missed Monty Python's Flying Circus, which uses John Philip Sousa's "Liberty Bell March" (as did the TV show).
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

I have tried to make the presentation of information in the earlier list more consistent, by roughly following the format that [mention]Alessandro[/mention] used: Composer/artist, title with opus/catalogue number, movement. Where there is a well-known English title I have used that, otherwise I have tried to use the title in the original language.

I’ve done my best on these, but I may have made some errors, so please correct them, if you see them.

There are some entries, marked with an asterisk, that need more information.

The list doesn’t include the information in the last post.

Alien Evolution: W.A. Mozart, Symphony No. 40 in G minor K 550, I. Molto allegro
Antics: J.S. Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D minor BWV 565
Apulija-13: first bars of Sergei S. Prokofiev, Romeo And Juliet op. 64 - 2-13 "Dance Of The Knights"
The Archers: Arthur Wood, Barwick Green
The Birds and the Bees: N.A. Rimskij-Korsakov, Flight of the Bumblebee, from The Tale Of Tsar Saltan, III, 2
* Blacklamp: (128K) a rewrite/remix of Greensleeves?
The Bulge: opening chords of L. v. Beethoven, Symphony No. 5 in C Minor op. 67, I. Allegro con brio
Brainstorm: (128K) W.A. Mozart, Piano Sonata No. 11 K 331, III. Rondò alla turca
Camelot Warriors: Scarborough Fair
Circus Games: Julius Fučík, Entry of the Gladiators op. 68
Corona Capers: John Philip Sousa, Liberty Bell March, The Washington Post and Stars And Stripes Forever; national anthem of the USA; opening chords of the Chinese national anthem; Iron Maiden, Virus
Dynamite Dan: W.A. Mozart, Piano Sonata No. 11 K 331, III. Rondò alla turca
* Dynamite Dan 2: Scott Joplin, Maple Leaf Rag; W. A. Mozart, Sonata in C (the first record); other records unknown
Earthlight: (128K) Antonio Vivaldi, The Four Seasons, Concerto No. 3 in F Major RV 293 "Autumn", I. Allegro
* Elite: unknown
Fahrenheit 3000: J.S. Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D minor BWV 565
Fox Fights Back: a medley of: 1) about half of G. Bizet, refrain of "Votre toast, je peux vous le rendre", from Carmen, act II; 2) opening of W. A. Mozart, Symphony No. 40 in G minor K 550, I. Molto allegro; 3) Johannes Brahms, Hungarian Dance No. 5
Funky Fungus: excerpts from Antonio Vivaldi, The Four Seasons, op. 8 RV 269 "Spring", I. Allegro; Modest P. Mussorgskij, Pictures Of An Exhibition, I. Gnomus
Funky Fungus Reloaded: excerpts from Antonio Vivaldi, The Four Seasons, op. 8 RV 269 "Spring", I. Allegro; Modest P. Mussorgskij, Pictures Of An Exhibition, I. Gnomus
High Noon: Chopin, Piano Sonata No. 2 in B-flat minor op. 35, III. Lento "Funeral March" (when a gunfighter gets killed)
Hunchback 2: Gioacchino Rossini, William Tell - Overture
Jet Set Willy: Opening lines of L.v. Beethoven, Sonata No. 14 in C# Minor "Moonlight Sonata" op. 27 no.2, I. Adagio sostenuto (title screen); Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock, If I Were a Rich Man (in game)
Lode Runner: (128K) J. S. Bach, Jesu: Joy of Man's Desiring
Lost In My Spectrum: excerpts from: Edvard Grieg, Peer Gynt Suite op. 46, IV. In The Hall Of The Mountain King; Johann Strauss Sr., Radetzky-Marsch op. 228; the beginning of Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, Lerchengesang, from Der erste Frühlingstag op. 48 (when you complete the game)
* Mad Mix Game: L. v. Beethoven, Symphony No. 5 in C Minor op. 67, I. Allegro con brio; Luigi Boccherini, string quintet No. 5 in A major op.13 G 281, III. Minuetto; 3) Gioacchino Rossini, Air from The Barber of Seville; 4) Unknown but probably a cantata by J.S. Bach.
Manic Miner: Johann Strauss Jr., An der schönen, blauen Donau op.314 “The Blue Danube” waltz (title screen); Edvard Grieg, Peer Gynt Suite op. 46, IV. In The Hall Of The Mountain King (in-game)
Mermaid Madness: P.I. Tchaikovsky, Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy from The Nutcracker ballet suite
Mikie: The Beatles, A Hard Day's Night
Monty Mole: Kenneth Alford, Colonel Bogey March
Moon Alert: R. Wagner, "Ride of the Valkyries" from Die Walküre WWV 86B, act III
* Mutant Monty: the beginning of Grieg, piano concerto
* Olli and Lissa: unknown
Phantom Club: Opening lines of J.S. Bach, Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in G Major, BWV 1048, I.
Rick Dangerous: J.S. Bach, Toccata & Fugue (opening tune for Schwarzendumpf Castle); Sergei S. Prokofiev, Romeo And Juliet op. 64 - 2-13 "Dance Of The Knights" (introduces the Missile Base)
Riptoff: J.S. Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D minor (help program)
Rockman: W.A. Mozart, Serenade No. 13 for strings in G major "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" K 525, I. Allegro
Sabre Wulf: J.S. Bach, Prelude and Fugue in C major BWV 846 (No. 1 of The Well-Tempered Clavier)
Sophia II: Camille Saint-Saëns, Danse Macabre op. 40; Dmitrij Shostakovich, Suite for Variety Orchestra, VII. Waltz No. 2; Gioacchino Rossini, William Tell - Overture (finale); Jean-Joseph Mouret, Fanfare for trumpet, violin, oboes and timpani, I. Allegro
Sophia: W. A. Mozart, Dies Irae from the Requiem in D minor K 626
* Specventure: listed in the in-game instructions
Super Mutt: Opening lines of Gioacchino Rossini, William Tell - Overture
Sweevo's World: John Philip Sousa, Washington Post march
Tai-Chi Tortoise: W. A. Mozart, Horn Concerto No. 4 in E-flat major K 495, III. Rondo (Allegro vivace)
Technician Ted: Johann Strauss Jr., An der schönen, blauen Donau op.314 “The Blue Danube” waltz; Johann Strauss Sr., Radetzky-Marsch op. 228 (in-game)
Turmoil: G. Bizet, refrain of "Votre toast, je peux vous le rendre", from Carmen, act II
Where Time Stood Still: Sir Hubert Parry, Jerusalem (unused)
A Whole New Ball Game: W.A. Mozart, Serenade No. 13 for strings in G major "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" K 525, I. Allegro
* Zarjas: J.S. Bach, unknown
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Mutant Monty: Edvard Grieg, Piano Concerto in A minor op. 16, I. Allegro molto moderato
Black Lamp (AY only): unknown, almost surely an original composition by Tim Follin; rhythm and chords progression resemble those of "Greensleeves" (trad.)

The instructions for Specventure show this list of tunes (enhanced by me):
1 - Ludwig van Beethoven, Für Elise op. 59
2 - Edvard Grieg, "The Morning" from Peer Gynt
3 - John Williams, theme from Star Wars
4 - "Yankee Doodle" (trad.)
5 - Aleksandr Borodin, Polynesian Dance
6 - Antonio Vivaldi, Concerto No. 1 in E major op. 8, RV 269, "Spring", from The Four Seasons
7 - Piotr I. Tchaikovskij, excerpt from The Swan Lake op. 20
8 - Johann Sebastian Bach, Choral "Wohl mir, daß ich Jesum habe" from Cantata BWV 147
9 - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Symphony n. 40 in G minor KV 550, I. Allegro

> Olli and Lissa: unknown
Again, we can safely rule this out, since the ear-wrecking "music" at the beginning does not sound like classical at all (most probably it's an original composition).

Speaking of dubious national anthems, I remember that Alternative World Games, not a particularly memorable title - in fact it's one of those games so crap that I even took some sort of liking to it - includes a scene at the beginning where a parrot picks up a record with its beak and places it on a gramophone, playing a short tune according to the nationality chosen by the player. Nationalities are not in alphabetical order by the way!

Opening: Aaron Copland, Fanfare For The Common Man (although it sounds more similar to Emerson, Lake and Palmer's progressive rock rendition)
- Real national anthems:
Belgium - François Van Campenhout, "La Brabançonne"
France - Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle, "La Marseillaise"
Japan - Akimori Hayashi/Yoshiisa Oku/Franz Eckert (arr.), "Kimi ga yo"
Switzerland - Alberik Zwyssig, "Schweizerpsalm/Cantique suisse/Salmo svizzero/Psalm svizzer"
USA - John Stafford Smith, "The Star-Spangled Banner"
FRG - Franz Joseph Haydn, "Das Lied der Deutschen"
- False national anthems:
Canada - Michael Palin/Terry Jones/Fred Tomlinson, "The Lumberjack Song"
Great Britain - Thomas Arne, "Rule Britannia", from Alfred
Greece - Mikis Theodorakis, "Sirtaki" from the soundtrack for Zorba The Greek by Michael Cacoyannis
Italy - Eduardo Di Capua/Alfredo Mazzucchi, " 'O Sole mio"
USSR - Melchior Frank, "Lauriger Horatius" (probably meant to represent "The Red Flag", hymn of the UK Labour Party)
Spain - G. Bizet, refrain of "Votre toast, je peux vous le rendre", from Carmen, act II
Sweden - The Swedish chef theme from The Muppet Show
- Unknown:
Austria
Brazil (a samba)
Holland
Hungary
Israel (already heard it but cannot remember exactly what it is)

More examples come from another Gremlin Graphics title, Tour De Force, not a masterpiece, but neither a waste of code like AWG. Back in the day I even completed it.

Japan - unknown
France - Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle, "La Marseillaise"
USA - John Stafford Smith, "The Star-Spangled Banner"
Israel - "Arabian riff" (trad.)
Russia - Ivan Larionov, "Kalinka"

Finally, [mention]Rorthron[/mention] please take notice that Sophia and Sophia II are in reversed order in the list :)
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

I have put through [mention]Alessandro[/mention]'s corrections to the list. I have not added the further titles from him and [mention]TMD2003[/mention].

Apulija-13: first bars of Sergei S. Prokofiev, Romeo And Juliet op. 64 - 2-13 "Dance Of The Knights"
The Birds and the Bees: N.A. Rimsky-Korsakov, Flight of the Bumblebee, from The Tale Of Tsar Saltan, III, 2
The Bulge: opening chords of L. v. Beethoven, Symphony No. 5 in C Minor op. 67, I. Allegro con brio
Brainstorm: (128K) W.A. Mozart, Piano Sonata No. 11 K 331, III. Rondò alla turca
Corona Capers: John Philip Sousa, Liberty Bell March, The Washington Post and Stars And Stripes Forever; national anthem of the USA; opening chords of the Chinese national anthem; Iron Maiden, Virus
* Dynamite Dan 2: Scott Joplin, Maple Leaf Rag; W. A. Mozart, Sonata in C (the first record); other records unknown
Earthlight: (128K) Antonio Vivaldi, The Four Seasons, Concerto No. 3 in F Major RV 293 "Autumn", I. Allegro
Fox Fights Back: a medley of: 1) about half of G. Bizet, refrain of "Votre toast, je peux vous le rendre", from Carmen, act II; 2) opening of W. A. Mozart, Symphony No. 40 in G minor K 550, I. Molto allegro; 3) Johannes Brahms, Hungarian Dance No. 5
Funky Fungus: excerpts from Antonio Vivaldi, The Four Seasons, op. 8 RV 269 "Spring", I. Allegro; Modest P. Mussorgsky, Pictures Of An Exhibition, I. Gnomus
Funky Fungus Reloaded: excerpts from Antonio Vivaldi, The Four Seasons, op. 8 RV 269 "Spring", I. Allegro; Modest P. Mussorgsky, Pictures Of An Exhibition, I. Gnomus
High Noon: Chopin, Piano Sonata No. 2 in B-flat minor op. 35, III. Lento "Funeral March" (when a gunfighter gets killed)
Jet Set Willy: Opening lines of L. v. Beethoven, Sonata No. 14 in C# Minor "Moonlight Sonata" op. 27 no.2, I. Adagio sostenuto (title screen); Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock, If I Were a Rich Man (in game)
Lost In My Spectrum: excerpts from: Edvard Grieg, Peer Gynt Suite op. 46, IV. In The Hall Of The Mountain King; Johann Strauss Sr., Radetzky-Marsch op. 228; the beginning of Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, Lerchengesang, from Der erste Frühlingstag op. 48 (when you complete the game)
* Mad Mix Game: L. v. Beethoven, Symphony No. 5 in C Minor op. 67, I. Allegro con brio; Luigi Boccherini, string quintet No. 5 in A major op.13 G 281, III. Minuetto; Gioacchino Rossini, Air from The Barber of Seville; Unknown but probably a cantata by J.S. Bach.
Manic Miner: Johann Strauss Jr., An der schönen, blauen Donau op.314 “The Blue Danube” waltz (title screen); Edvard Grieg, Peer Gynt Suite op. 46, IV. In The Hall Of The Mountain King (in-game)
Mermaid Madness: P.I. Tchaikovsky, Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy from The Nutcracker ballet suite
Mutant Monty: Edvard Grieg, Piano Concerto in A minor op. 16, I. Allegro molto moderato
Phantom Club: Opening lines of J.S. Bach, Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in G Major, BWV 1048, I.
Rick Dangerous: J.S. Bach, Toccata & Fugue (opening tune for Schwarzendumpf Castle); Sergei S. Prokofiev, Romeo And Juliet op. 64 - 2-13 "Dance Of The Knights" (introduces the Missile Base)
Rockman: W.A. Mozart, Serenade No. 13 for strings in G major "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" K 525, I. Allegro
Sophia II: Camille Saint-Saëns, Danse Macabre op. 40; Dmitri Shostakovich, Suite for Variety Orchestra, VII. Waltz No. 2; Gioacchino Rossini, William Tell - Overture (finale); Jean-Joseph Mouret, Fanfare for trumpet, violin, oboes and timpani, I. Allegro
Specventure: 1 - L. v. Beethoven, Für Elise op. 59; 2 - Edvard Grieg, "The Morning" from Peer Gynt; 3 - John Williams, theme from Star Wars; 4 - "Yankee Doodle"; 5 - Aleksandr Borodin, Polynesian Dance; 6 - Antonio Vivaldi, Concerto No. 1 in E major op. 8, RV 269, "Spring", from The Four Seasons; 7 - Piotr I. Tchaikovsky, excerpt from The Swan Lake op. 20; 8 - Johann Sebastian Bach, Choral "Wohl mir, daß ich Jesum habe" from Cantata BWV 147; 9 - W. A. Mozart, Symphony No. 40 in G minor KV 550, I. Allegro
Tai-Chi Tortoise: W. A. Mozart, Horn Concerto No. 4 in E-flat major K 495, III. Rondo (Allegro vivace)
Technician Ted: Johann Strauss Jr., An der schönen, blauen Donau op.314 “The Blue Danube” waltz; Johann Strauss Sr., Radetzky-Marsch op. 228 (in-game)
A Whole New Ball Game: W.A. Mozart, Serenade No. 13 for strings in G major "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" K 525, I. Allegro
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Dynamite Dan II also includes:

P. I. Tchaikovsky, The Year 1812 Solemn Overture in E flat major op. 49 TH 49 "The 1812 Overture" (in game)
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Another update to the list including [mention]Alessandro[/mention]'s additions.

* Alternative World Games: Aaron Copland, Fanfare For The Common Man (opening); François Van Campenhout, La Brabançonne, national anthem of Belgium (Belgium); Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle, La Marseillaise, national anthem of France (France); Akimori Hayashi and Yoshiisa (arr. Franz Eckert), Kimigayo, national anthem of Japan (Japan); Alberik Zwyssig, Schweizerpsalm/Cantique suisse/Salmo svizzero/Psalm Svizzer, national anthem of Switzerland (Switzerland); John Stafford Smith, The Star-Spangled Banner, national anthem of the United States of America (USA); Franz Joseph Haydn, Das Lied der Deutschen, national anthem of Germany (West Germany); Michael Palin, Terry Jones and Fred Tomlinson, The Lumberjack Song (Canada);Thomas Arne, Rule Britannia (Great Britain); Mikis Theodorakis, Sirtaki, from Michael Cacoyannis, the soundtrack for Zorba The Greek (Greece); Eduardo Di Capua and Alfredo Mazzucchi, 'O Sole mio (Italy); Melchior Franck, Lauriger Horatius (via association with The Red Flag, hymn of the UK Labour Party) (USSR)
G. Bizet, refrain of "Votre toast, je peux vous le rendre", from Carmen, act II (Spain); Derek Scott, Swedish Chef, from The Muppet Show (Sweden); unknown
(Austria, Brazil, Holland, Hungary, Israel)
The Birds and the Bees: N.A. Rimsky-Korsakov, Flight of the Bumblebee, from The Tale Of Tsar Saltan, III, 2
Corona Capers: John Philip Sousa, Liberty Bell March, The Washington Post and Stars And Stripes Forever; John Stafford Smith, The Star-Spangled Banner, national anthem of the United States of America; opening chords of Nie Er, March of the Volunteers, national anthem of the People's Republic of China; Iron Maiden, Virus
* Dynamite Dan II: Scott Joplin, Maple Leaf Rag (title screen); W. A. Mozart, Sonata in C (first record); other records unknown; P. I. Tchaikovsky, The Year 1812 Solemn Overture in E flat major op. 49 TH 49 "The 1812 Overture" (in game, when a bomb is collected)
Funky Fungus: excerpts from Antonio Vivaldi, The Four Seasons, op. 8 RV 269 "Spring", I. Allegro; Modest P. Mussorgsky, Pictures Of An Exhibition, I. Gnomus
Funky Fungus Reloaded: excerpts from Antonio Vivaldi, The Four Seasons, op. 8 RV 269 "Spring", I. Allegro; Modest P. Mussorgsky, Pictures Of An Exhibition, I. Gnomus
Jet Set Willy: Opening lines of L. v. Beethoven, Sonata No. 14 in C# Minor "Moonlight Sonata" op. 27 no.2, I. Adagio sostenuto (title screen); Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock, If I Were a Rich Man (in game)
Lost In My Spectrum: excerpts from: Edvard Grieg, Peer Gynt Suite op. 46, IV. In The Hall Of The Mountain King; Johann Strauss Sr., Radetzky-Marsch op. 228; the beginning of Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, Lerchengesang, from Der erste Frühlingstag op. 48 (on completing the game)
* Mad Mix Game: L. v. Beethoven, Symphony No. 5 in C Minor op. 67, I. Allegro con brio; Luigi Boccherini, string quintet No. 5 in A major op.13 G 281, III. Minuetto; Gioacchino Rossini, Air from The Barber of Seville; Unknown but probably a cantata by J.S. Bach.
Manic Miner: Johann Strauss Jr., An der schönen, blauen Donau op.314 “The Blue Danube” waltz (title screen); Edvard Grieg, Peer Gynt Suite op. 46, IV. In The Hall Of The Mountain King (in game)
Sophia II: Camille Saint-Saëns, Danse Macabre op. 40; Dmitri Shostakovich, Suite for Variety Orchestra, VII. Waltz No. 2; Gioacchino Rossini, William Tell - Overture (finale); Jean-Joseph Mouret, Fanfare for trumpet, violin, oboes and timpani, I. Allegro
Specventure: 1) L. v. Beethoven, Für Elise op. 59; 2) Edvard Grieg, "The Morning" from Peer Gynt; 3) John Williams, theme from Star Wars; 4) "Yankee Doodle"; 5) Aleksandr Borodin, Polynesian Dance; 6) Antonio Vivaldi, Concerto No. 1 in E major op. 8 RV 269, "Spring", from The Four Seasons; 7) Piotr I. Tchaikovsky, excerpt from The Swan Lake op. 20; 8) Johann Sebastian Bach, Choral "Wohl mir, daß ich Jesum habe" from Cantata BWV 147; 9) W. A. Mozart, Symphony No. 40 in G minor KV 550, I. Allegro
Technician Ted: Johann Strauss Jr., An der schönen, blauen Donau op.314 “The Blue Danube” waltz; Johann Strauss Sr., Radetzky-Marsch op. 228 (in game)
*Tour De Force: unknown (Japan); Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle, "La Marseillaise, national anthem of France (France); John Stafford Smith, "The Star-Spangled Banner", national anthem of the United States of America (USA); Arabian riff (Israel); Ivan Larionov, Kalinka (Russia)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

[mention]Rorthron[/mention] for better readability, could you please keep different voices related to the same title on different lines, and use italics for works' titles as I did? Thanks.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

I've tried to present the information in a way that might be easy to import into ZXDB. So each title is on a single line with a colon delimiter separating the software title and a semi-colon delimiter between music titles. I presume italics would be lost when imported.

To be honest, I have no idea how ZXDB might handle this information. If anyone wants to reorganise it, please go ahead. The data is consistent enough in the list that it shouldn't be too hard even to make it fully structured, with separate composers, titles or even genres (which would not be hard to add). That might be overkill for the present case, though it would make it possible to search for classical music, or for different versions of The Blue Danube, for example.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Some more tiny fragments:

Wanted: Monty Mole plays what most of us would know as "Abide With Me", written by Henry Francis Lyte - but, apparently, the tune was called "Eventide" and was written by William Henry Monk. And the tune is all we get... whether Monty just falls over, or grows wings and ascends skywards (I've seen both).

I missed one of the music cues in Corona Capers - "New York, New York", written by John Kander and Fred Ebb, originally performed by Liza Minelli, but the version that more people will know (and the one I was thinking of at the time) was sung by Frank Sinatra.

And there's another one to file under "unknown" - Peking, from the Your Sinclair covertape in January 1992. It's a tricky one, because all I can say is that it sounds like a few bars of the kind of baroque piece I'd find myself playing the bassoon part in the wind octet when I was at school - but, who knows, it may have been written in 1991/92 for the game itself and just sounds 250 years older than it really is. (See also: the final level of Gargoyle's Quest, one of the finest pieces of Game Boy music ever written.)
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Two more sharing the same tune: "Country Gardens" (arranged for piano by Percy Grainger from a collection of English folk tunes, though this is the one most people will know). Probably a.k.a. "English Country Garden", though apparently "Country Gardens", plural and not English, is the proper title.

Found in Ned's Garden by Peter Watson from 16/48 Tape Magazine, and Jonathan Cauldwell's Quantum Gardening, though only the earlier game has an exact rendition (unless Jonathan is a Morris dancing aficionado and his tune is an exact copy of the Amber Valley Morris Men...)
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Rorthron wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:21 pm Another update to the list including @Alessandro's additions.

* Alternative World Games: Aaron Copland, Fanfare For The Common Man (opening); François Van Campenhout, La Brabançonne, national anthem of Belgium (Belgium); Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle, La Marseillaise, national anthem of France (France); Akimori Hayashi and Yoshiisa (arr. Franz Eckert), Kimigayo, national anthem of Japan (Japan); Alberik Zwyssig, Schweizerpsalm/Cantique suisse/Salmo svizzero/Psalm Svizzer, national anthem of Switzerland (Switzerland); John Stafford Smith, The Star-Spangled Banner, national anthem of the United States of America (USA); Franz Joseph Haydn, Das Lied der Deutschen, national anthem of Germany (West Germany); Michael Palin, Terry Jones and Fred Tomlinson, The Lumberjack Song (Canada);Thomas Arne, Rule Britannia (Great Britain); Mikis Theodorakis, Sirtaki, from Michael Cacoyannis, the soundtrack for Zorba The Greek (Greece); Eduardo Di Capua and Alfredo Mazzucchi, 'O Sole mio (Italy); Melchior Franck, Lauriger Horatius (via association with The Red Flag, hymn of the UK Labour Party) (USSR)
G. Bizet, refrain of "Votre toast, je peux vous le rendre", from Carmen, act II (Spain); Derek Scott, Swedish Chef, from The Muppet Show (Sweden); unknown
(Austria, Brazil, Holland, Hungary, Israel)
Corona Capers: John Philip Sousa, Liberty Bell March, The Washington Post and Stars And Stripes Forever; John Stafford Smith, The Star-Spangled Banner, national anthem of the United States of America; opening chords of Nie Er, March of the Volunteers, national anthem of the People's Republic of China; Iron Maiden, Virus
* Dynamite Dan II: Scott Joplin, Maple Leaf Rag (title screen); W. A. Mozart, Sonata in C (first record); other records unknown; P. I. Tchaikovsky, The Year 1812 Solemn Overture in E flat major op. 49 TH 49 "The 1812 Overture" (in game, when a bomb is collected)
Lost In My Spectrum: excerpts from: Edvard Grieg, Peer Gynt Suite op. 46, IV. In The Hall Of The Mountain King; Johann Strauss Sr., Radetzky-Marsch op. 228; the beginning of Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, Lerchengesang, from Der erste Frühlingstag op. 48 (on completing the game)
Manic Miner: Johann Strauss Jr., An der schönen, blauen Donau op.314 “The Blue Danube” waltz (title screen); Edvard Grieg, Peer Gynt Suite op. 46, IV. In The Hall Of The Mountain King (in game)
Specventure: 1) L. v. Beethoven, Für Elise op. 59; 2) Edvard Grieg, "The Morning" from Peer Gynt; 3) John Williams, theme from Star Wars; 4) "Yankee Doodle"; 5) Aleksandr Borodin, Polynesian Dance; 6) Antonio Vivaldi, Concerto No. 1 in E major op. 8 RV 269, "Spring", from The Four Seasons; 7) Piotr I. Tchaikovsky, excerpt from The Swan Lake op. 20; 8) Johann Sebastian Bach, Choral "Wohl mir, daß ich Jesum habe" from Cantata BWV 147; 9) W. A. Mozart, Symphony No. 40 in G minor KV 550, I. Allegro
Technician Ted: Johann Strauss Jr., An der schönen, blauen Donau op.314 “The Blue Danube” waltz; Johann Strauss Sr., Radetzky-Marsch op. 228 (in game)
*Tour De Force: unknown (Japan); Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle, "La Marseillaise, national anthem of France (France); John Stafford Smith, "The Star-Spangled Banner", national anthem of the United States of America (USA); Arabian riff (Israel); Ivan Larionov, Kalinka (Russia)
And the following from [mention]TMD2003[/mention]'s first batch:

Eskimo Eddie: Gershon Kingsley, Popcorn
Old Tower: Gershon Kingsley, Popcorn
Egghead: Jesús González Rubio, Jarabe Tapatío "The Mexican Hat Dance"
Doomskulle: L. v. Beethoven, Bagatelle No. 25 in A minor WoO 59 Bia 515 "Für Elise"
Gladiator: Julius Fučík, Entry of the Gladiators op. 68
Gunhead: Europe, The Final Countdown
Egghead To The Rescue: Jacques Offenbach, Galop Infernal, from Orphée aux enfers II, 2
North and South: Yankee Doodle; Daniel Decatur Emmett, Dixie
* Draughts Genius: Scott Joplin, Maple Leaf Rag; unknown (title screen)
Mushroom Mania: Daniel Decatur Emmett, Dixie; When The Saints Go Marching In; John Stafford Smith, The Star-Spangled Banner, national anthem of the United States of America
* Auf Wiedersehen Monty: (128K)
God Save The Queen, national anthem of the United Kingdom (Gibraltar and Montos); Leo Caerts, Y Viva España (Spain); Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle, La Marseillaise, national anthem of France (France); Franz Joseph Haydn, Das Lied der Deutschen, national anthem of Germany (West Germany); W.A. Mozart, Symphony No. 40 in G minor K 550, I. Molto allegro (Austria); Klaus Günter Neumann et al, Tulips from Amsterdam (Netherlands); Derek Scott, Swedish Chef, from The Muppet Show (Sweden); Eduardo Di Capua and Alfredo Mazzucchi, 'O Sole mio (Italy); Greece: Joseph Stein, Fred Ebb, John Kander, Zorba? (Greece); Melchior Franck, Lauriger Horatius (via association with The Red Flag, hymn of the UK Labour Party) (East Germany, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia)
The War Of the Worlds: Jeff Wayne, The War Of the Worlds
Monty Python's Flying Circus: John Philip Sousa, Liberty Bell March
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

For the unknowns, I'd suggest a "Name That Tune" style of thread. It's something that was done quite successfully on the Final Gear forums, where 90+% of the music cues on episodes of Top Gear (new and old) were identified, along with Fifth Gear, Jeremy Clarkson's bargain-bin Christmas videos, and just about anything else motoring-related where someone asked. Because there were so many Top Gear episodes, there was a whole sub-forum for it - I don't think we need to go that far, mind...

One more for the pile, from the last of my Your Sinclair tapes, is Wriggler; "La Cucaracha" (trad. Spanish, by the looks of things - any Spanish users want to add to that?) is in there somewhere, but the whole of the tune may be a hybrid of that and something else I don't recognise.

Now that I've investigated the full version of North & South rather than just the covertape demo, I don't recognise the tune at the language selection screen but "it screams John Philip Sousa" to me; then, once we're past that, "God Save The Queen" plays at the control selection screen (probably representing its American version, "My Country 'Tis Of Thee" - cheeky Yanks!)

And don't forget to add "New York, New York" to Corona Capers in the next update...

If I was to be a proper cynic I'd say "Name That Tune" might even be achieved by recording a bit of the music required via a screen recorder (I've got OBS Studio and it seems to do the job), then uploading it to YouTube and waiting all of five milliseconds for its copyright claim algorithm to do the dirty work for us. But am I that much of a cynic? Decide for yourselves...
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! Said some American advertisers, yesterday.

Digging through some Sinclair User covertapes to find a text adventure that was obviously based on Red Dwarf with changed character names (note that it may not have been on a Sinclair User covertape, or any magazine covertape, it might have been one of Zenobi's later efforts, and I have no way of knowing... anyway, back to business...) I have some more musical cues to add...

...and an unknown. The Untouchables has a Scott Joplin-style ragtime piece; it's overwhelmingly likely to be one of his, but I don't know its name.

Hydrofool shares John Philip Sousa's Washington Post March with Sweevo's World. How did that slide through the net?

Twinz, a Hellenic Software covertape special, has a banging' techno soundtrack that covers:
- W.A. Mozart, "Rondò alla turca" (see Dyanmite Dan, etc.)
- Harold Faltermeyer, "Axel F"
- Jan Hammer, "Crockett's Theme"
- and at least one other piece of 80s synthpop where I recognise the tune but don't know what it is. There may be more.
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

TMD2003 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:25 pm Twinz, a Hellenic Software covertape special, has a banging' techno soundtrack that covers:
- W.A. Mozart, "Rondò alla turca" (see Dyanmite Dan, etc.)
- Harold Faltermeyer, "Axel F"
- Jan Hammer, "Crockett's Theme"
- and at least one other piece of 80s synthpop where I recognise the tune but don't know what it is. There may be more.
I just had a quick listen and after Crockett's Theme I could hear 'The Model' by Kraftwerk and a tiny but recognisable snippet of 'Right Here Waiting' by Richard Marx.
Manu128k
Dizzy

Post by Manu128k »

La Abadía del Crimen (Abbey of Crime) - Opera Soft:
- Bach, Minuet in G minor, BWV Anh 115, Piano
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llZxwf8 ... e=youtu.be
- Gwendal (Album: Joe Can't Reel (1975)), Crystal Palace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZT_FsbLWNU

The Perils of Willy - Allan Turvey AKA Highrise
-Led Zeppelin (Robert Plant, Jimmy Page), Stairway To Heaven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbhCPt6PZIU
MtM
Dizzy

Post by MtM »

Apologies if it has been mentioned already:-

In 'Skyranger' by Microsphere, 1985.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=4557

'Non piu andrai' aria from The Marriage of Figaro by Mozart

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_pi%C3%B9_andrai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STMOfk6iiOA
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I just wanted to say that I admire knowledge of classical music by some people here. You are doing a good work, sirs 8-)
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Cataloguing the latest additions:

Wanted Monty Mole: Kenneth Alford, Colonel Bogey March; William Henry Monk, Eventide
Corona Capers: John Philip Sousa, Liberty Bell March, The Washington Post and Stars And Stripes Forever; John Stafford Smith, The Star-Spangled Banner, national anthem of the United States of America; opening chords of Nie Er, March of the Volunteers, national anthem of the People's Republic of China; Iron Maiden, Virus; John Kander, Theme from New York, New York
* North & South: unkown; My Country 'Tis Of Thee
Wriggler; La Cucaracha
Ned's Garden: Country Gardens
Quantum Gardening: Country Gardens
Sweevo's World: John Philip Sousa, The Washington Post
Hydrofool: John Philip Sousa, The Washington Post
Twinz: W.A. Mozart, Piano Sonata No. 11 K 331, III. Rondò alla turca; Harold Faltermeyer, Axel F; Jan Hammer, Crockett's Theme; Kraftwerk, The Model; Richard Marx, Right Here Waiting
La Abadía del Crimen: Bach, Minuet in G minor, BWV Anh 115, Piano; Gwendal, Crystal Palace
The Perils of Willy: Led Zeppelin, Stairway To Heaven
Skyranger: W. A. Mozart, "Non piu andrai", from The Marriage of Figaro K 492
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Wham! The Music Box (Melbourne House)
Careless Whisper
Freedom
Club Tropicana
Young Guns
Bad Boys
------------------------------------

Music Box 128K (Melbourne House)
Train
Gyroscope
Blue Danube
Train
Sweevos World
When The Saints Go Marching In
Rock And Wrestle

Music Box 48K (Melbourne House)
Exploding Fist
When The Saints Go Marching In
Gyroscope 4
Train
The Can-Can
Men Of Harlech
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

No one seems to have guessed the in-game music references in Funky Fungus Reloaded (the intro music has been reworked, but the references are exactly the same of Funky Fungus). Here they are:
Spoiler
World 1: Lalo Schifrin/Jimmy Smith, The Cat
World 2: Oscar Washington/Lewis P. Simpkins/Jimmy Forrest, Night Train; based on the cover by James Brown
World 3: Herbie Hancock, Chameleon
World 4: Maceo and the Macks, Soul Power '74
Game completion screen: James Brown, I Feel Good
Finally, the music for final battle with Seto Taisho is based upon the rhythm section of the first bars and the break of Cold Sweat, also from James Brown, but it is not a rendition of it like the other tracks. I was working to a rendition of Cold Sweat for one of the worlds in fact, but I was unsatisfied with the result and left the bass/drum section and the break, speeded them up a bit and used the whole as the soundtrack for the final battle.
zxbruno
Manic Miner

Post by zxbruno »

This is amazing. I thought there were only a few games with music inspired by popular or classical music. I grew up thinking the music in most games was made just for those games...