Danterrifik

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Danterrifik

Post by Andre Leao »

R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Danterrifik

Post by R-Tape »

50 lives? Piece of cake. Cracks knuckles...Ah.

I didn't take to this game at first, but I'm really getting into it now. It's bloody hard. The adrenalin junkie AY music really helps it along.

Only 5 levels in. Might need to resort to infy lives.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

3 attempts this affa. 150 lives. 8 levels in. This game is proper hardcore.

Anyone else been playing this?
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

R-Tape wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:25 pm
Anyone else been playing this?
Me too, and now I understand why the game has 50 lives!

'Hardcore' is a too generous definition of the game in my opinion...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:05 pm 'Hardcore' is a too generous definition of the game in my opinion...
Indeed. I'd have released this with infy lives. Mind you, 50 does give you a natural break point to say "I think that's quite enough for now".

I love that it is intentionally making the player suffer like hell. There are loads of blocks placed just to make certain bits really frustrating. And the music really carries you along; mixed with caffeine it really gets you 'in the zone'.

9 levels in...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Argh I think this game was actually made by the devil itself!

Level 9, the 'fishtank', was a nightmare. I'm not sure I'll be able to do that again.

Level 10...
Pgyuri
Drutt

Post by Pgyuri »

Hi,

Finished (of course not on real spectrum and not simple play) ... but believe the rzx maker will the best player. There are some nice tricks but the sprite collision detection is not perfect. Infinite live poke is absolutely useless, walk-thru-monsters poke kills the game. I can't decide what is my opinion about this game.

Pgyuri
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Pgyuri wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:30 pm Hi,

Finished (of course not on real spectrum and not simple play) ... but believe the rzx maker will the best player. There are some nice tricks but the sprite collision detection is not perfect. Infinite live poke is absolutely useless, walk-thru-monsters poke kills the game. I can't decide what is my opinion about this game.

Pgyuri
I usually play with some snapshots or POKEs, but there's something especially rewarding about playing this game without them.

I love the way the seemingly impossible becomes easy with practice. I don't think I'll manage to complete it, but I never imagined I'd reach level 15 on most attempts, as is the case now.

The level design is incredibly cruel, even by speccy standards; but that's sort-of okay, because the author has literally set the game in hell. You're supposed to suffer!
Pgyuri
Drutt

Post by Pgyuri »

I have a special approach about a game ... imagine you are imprisoned with a ZX Spectrum 48K and a tape-recorder. You take a game on a cassette and you only will be free if you walk throught and see the end. How many month or year will you spend in the jail ?

If the game is ... for example ...

Bruce Lee, you will be free in around some days,

Highway Encounter, around 1 week,

Manic Miner, around 2-3 months,

Jet Set Willy, never :)

and now Danterrifik, not question, never.

Pgyuri
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Pgyuri wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:15 am I have a special approach about a game ... imagine you are imprisoned with a ZX Spectrum 48K and a tape-recorder.
Haha! I love it. However, I would swap "prison" for "desert island", and with no chance of rescue. In that case Danterrifik would provide an achievable target for longest. Maybe JSW too, as long as fixing the attic bug is part of the challenge.

I haven't seen anything past level 15, and you have, but I'm pretty sure I'm sure Dantterifik CAN be completed. Trouble is I've started playing other games and have probably lost 'fitness'.