Stuck with repair of Spectrum+

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
speccyplus
Drutt

Re: Stuck with repair of Spectrum+

Post by speccyplus »

Ok, have some other info.

I have another test rom, the one from retroleum. When I pull IC3 but leave all other memory logic chips for upper and lower ram, it has a corrupt screen, but I can read the message saying diagnostics.

It is able to check upper and lower ram and says all green.

When I put in the ic3, it says that the first 3 bits fail, second 3 bits are good and last bit fails from what I recall. The upper memory it says is good still.

I have put the ULA in another board, and it tested OK.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Re: Stuck with repair of Spectrum+

Post by 1024MAK »

Keep in mind that with IC3 missing, the testing of the RAM that IC3 feeds address lines to will lead to misleading results, as some of the RAM address line inputs will no longer be driven, hence the Z80 and the test program may ‘think’ it is testing all of this RAM, but in fact, it is only testing half of it.

Because of the way the hardware works, the test program doesn’t know that when it tries to access the area of RAM that IC3 would normally be used for, instead the test program is actually accessing the half that it does have access to. So it tests one half twice. The half that needs IC3 is never tested.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.