Game of the day...

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Game of the day...

Post by R-Tape »

Aye it's the nickname for games made with the Mojon Twin's C Language game creator, there are a few versions of it, but it all began with La Churrera. The trademarks of a churro are 16 x 16 tiles, and moving with inertia.

Like a real churro (sorry maybe too sugary for you Doug), they can be a bit 'samey', but usually good; and you sometimes get one that's dipped in chocolate*, like Pentacorn Quest.

*analogy © hikoki
ianace
Manic Miner

Post by ianace »

Other suggestion from me, kokotoni wilf- Time travelling man with wings searches through different time periods for magic crystals dinosaur age, Middle Ages, 1066 1984 and the future. Downloaded this on my Vega, now I understand key mapping (Thanks folks in the forum!) it’s good on the vega making us of the save option!

Again kids like it.

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

R-Tape wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:23 pm Image

Pentacorn Quest. Some of the puzzles are great, and set it well apart from a 'regular' churro. Still haven't completed it after all these years.
Completed! Though I did have to cheat on one of the puzzles. Fantastic game. The only downside is that sometimes the effect of solving a puzzle isn't clear, and text vanishes quickly because the keys aren't debounced.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Android One by Vortex Software

One of the first games I played. Excellent. The only problem is too easy. I wish it had more screens.
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

Snowball (1983) by Level 9.

I don't understand much of what's going on.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

West Bank by Dinamic. Always a good option to play.

MtM
Dizzy

Post by MtM »

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=5471

Turmoil. A profoundly good platformer, so difficult right from the first screen, but
just brilliant in gameplay and looks, nothing like it anywhere else I have ever seen.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

MtM wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:45 pm https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=5471

Turmoil. A profoundly good platformer, so difficult right from the first screen, but
just brilliant in gameplay and looks, nothing like it anywhere else I have ever seen.
If Manic Miner hadn't existed, it's Bug Bytes greatest title - in my humble opinion
MtM
Dizzy

Post by MtM »

I hear what you are saying. Manic Miner & JSW need no defence from me or anyone else, they are of course seminal games. I am not
au fait with every Bug Byte release, though most of them I imagine. I put Turmoil on a par
with MM though, as much as I love MM & JSW.

I would love to have seen a Turmoil style JSW flick screen game. The levels in Turmoil are
all so busy and their design is just glorious, including their look. If I had to criticise it
it would be its sheer difficulty. I even like the Bizet in game tune, find it relaxing to play
to. There are differences with MM & JSW, in that you cannot learn the patterns of the
nasties in Turmoil, as they change, and have a degree of autonomy in their movement,
this gives it a different feel to a standard left, right and jump platformer. I find the controls
very crisp and the keyboard layout is perfect. It was a very worthy Crash smash.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

I've spent the last 2 days playing through Urban Upstart.
It's a bit slow but crank up the emulation speed and it's pretty enjoyable.

Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Not sure how well Urban Upstart has aged, with its simplistic graphics and sluggish parser. I remember last time I tried to play it, it was a bit of a painful experience.

I guess it was a breath of fresh air when it was released, as its setting was different from the many fantasy/dungeon hack adventure settings.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

I couldn't play it at normal speed, the graphics take too long to load. Speed it up a bit and it's fine.
It took me a while to realise you could enter the buildings. It told me I was outside a bookshop but when I tried to "Enter Bookshop" it didn't understand "bookshop". Later I tried "Enter" by itself and it worked!
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Having conquered Urban Upstart I thought I'd try another Pete Cooke adventure, Invincible Island.

It didn't seem so invincible until I tried to get to the last piece of parchment which was on a small island.
Spoiler
I had the dingy, how hard could it be?

Enter Dingy?
Board Dingy?
Sail Dingy?
Go Dingy?
Row Dingy?

After about 3 years I looked up the answer which was simply "Cross"

Wtf?!!!!!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Jason's Gem by Mastertronic.

I only heard of it here but never played it. It's a very nice surprise. I'm sure there's a lot of fans here ;)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Another cool find: Bestial Warrior by Dinamic

I've not played many 1989 onwards games like this. My first impression was it's very similar to Game Over, what is great as it's one of my faves Dinamic games.

I don't know how 'Bestial Warrior' sounds to an english spoken person, but to a spaniard is something like 'eh, we're Dinamic and with this name you know what you're come across' :mrgreen:
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:02 pm Another cool find: Bestial Warrior by Dinamic

I've not played many 1989 onwards games like this. My first impression was it's very similar to Game Over, what is great as it's one of my faves Dinamic games.

I don't know how 'Bestial Warrior' sounds to an english spoken person, but to a spaniard is something like 'eh, we're Dinamic and with this name you know what you're come across' :mrgreen:
It's not the, er, most wholesome title, but when did Dinamic ever play by anyone's rules? 🙃
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

Pyracurse [1986, Hewson Consultants]

This is one of the most frustrating games ever. I hate headless zombies, flying skulls and giant scorpions. And I always will.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

WIWC wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:10 pmI hate headless zombies, flying skulls and giant scorpions. And I always will.
I think that's fair.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Being a fan of Avalon/Dragontorc, I was very excited when I started seeing the adverts and previews for Pyracurse. Hewson at a strong period in their lifetime.

Ultimately I was a little disappointed when I played it - I just couldn't get anywhere.

Nice that you get to play as a dog though... :lol:
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

Morkin wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:35 am Being a fan of Avalon/Dragontorc, I was very excited when I started seeing the adverts and previews for Pyracurse. Hewson at a strong period in their lifetime.

Ultimately I was a little disappointed when I played it - I just couldn't get anywhere.

Nice that you get to play as a dog though... :lol:
And as a damsel in distress. Pyracurse received a lot of good reviews at the time, but it's very, very difficult to get into.
The energy of your characters gets drained very quickly, the nasties are very hard to avoid, as they tend to follow you around very stubbornly.
It's also very well done. But it really takes a lot of patience and effort to get somewhere with it.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

WIWC wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:47 pmBut it really takes a lot of patience and effort to get somewhere with it.
I think that's where the problem lies... :lol:
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Ali Baba by Suzy Soft. Fast paced and very addictive. I ran into it just the other day.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

I don't know if I've posted it before, but I must say Robber by Virgin Games.

Cute & enjoyable.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

cmal wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:28 am Image

Ali Baba by Suzy Soft. Fast paced and very addictive. I ran into it just the other day.
One of the early ex-Yugoslavia commercial titles.
It was not published in England like some other well-known ex-Yu titles, although it was very professionally done with excellent packaging.
Luckily I have the original, I made inlay scan a long time ago, one of the most valuable Spectrum games in my modest collection.

I took the link for my inlay scan from here, I don't know if sc has all these boxart pictures.
http://thumbnails.libretro.com/Sinclair ... d_Boxarts/
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Amazing you have the original. Hang onto it. It must be rare.