Podcasts featuring those behind the scenes in the Spectrum era

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

I like to cherry pick some of the Retro Asylum podcasts for long late night drives, particularly anything relevant to the ZX Spectrum. Here's one featuring Ocean Software artist Simon Butler.

It's very good indeed, covering Imagine's demise and utter ineptitude of Active Minds in producing Total Recall for Ocean. That latter topic has been discussed here, but nice to hear the story again and with a bit more detail.

I'm loving behind-the-scenes stories about how ZX Spectrum games were put together. Does anyone have any recommendations for other podcasts or video documentaries on this subject?
Last edited by PeteProdge on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

I realise it's a quote, but let's not get into posting threads with titles that are openly abusive, to anyone.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Ahem

Post by PeteProdge »

Joefish wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:37 pm I realise it's a quote, but let's not get into posting threads with titles that are openly abusive, to anyone.
Okay, I've edited the topic title. For anyone wondering what's going on, it was a direct quote of Simon Butler in that podcast, calling a certain director of a software house an unpleasant term. I do not necessarily condone his opinion. *cough*
Last edited by PeteProdge on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Mike Davies
Microbot

Post by Mike Davies »

I was hooked listening to the entire Simon Butler segment, that was a bit raw even three decades later. Read the RetroGamer piece on the development of Platoon around the same time, Simon being the lead designer on that.

That's one of the things I like about the current retro-gaming scene, the emergence of voices from the people developing the games and systems we were playing. I'm hoping that as a community project we curate these fabulous bits of content and bring them into ZXDB as citable references for titles, publishers, people etc. We're learning new things we didn't know about before, that are only surfacing now. Like Adrian Singh making a playable demo from the original covertape (?) watchable demo of that first Total Recall game -- that only happened this year.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Podcasts featuring those behind the scenes in the Spectrum era

Post by R-Tape »

I might be wrong, but I get the impression that Simon Butler chap likes to speak as he finds.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:11 pm I might be wrong, but I get the impression that Simon Butler chap likes to speak as he finds.
Oh yes, he certainly does and he admits that being that way has probably cost him a few jobs.

There's an uncomfortable bit where his condemnation of an Irish project developer is just about borderline xenophobic, I have to admit.
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

I recall it was a very entertaining listen and certainly brightened up a laborious trip to the galactic core in Elite Dangerous earlier this year. Is it Simon Butler who had a few choice words to say about Joffa's performance at that retro event several years back?
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Post by Wall_Axe »

byte back?
Just did some research about it - lol
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Yeah the Ocean forum around that time was one hell of a read.